Server Address: game.bgtscc.net
10/96
Last counter update:
2018-11-22 11:06:03

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Energy Immunity: Single Instance
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:56 pm 
Forum Moderator

As I suggested on Discord, I think it would be a great improvement to the tactical overlay of pve/pvp if the Energy Immunity spell operated in-line with Warlock Ignore the Pyre, that is, only a single instance of immunity can be active at a time. If you cast Immunity: Cold and Immunity: Fire, you will only have Immunity: Fire (the last of the spells to be cast). Subsequent casts of Energy Immunity overwrite the previous rather than being additive to it.

And before you all whinge and complain, the spells Endure Elements, Resist Energy, Protection from Energy & Energy Buffer still exist to provide blanket elemental protection, albeit not the 100% 'immune to everything' mindset that prevails now amongst the buff-bot meta.

Zella - Hedge Witch [Active]
Mae yr Machshikhah - ???? [Bio] [Hiatus]
Schezalle - The Black Claws Baeqeshel [Bio] [Black Claws Emporium] [Hiatus]
Aeili Azenci - Baelnorn of Mystra [Deceased]

Post subject: Re: Energy Immunity: Single Instance
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:10 pm 
Recognized Donor

wonderful suggestion :clap: :clap: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:11 pm 
Recognized Donor

i like the suggestion.. not sure where that lies in DnD rules (and not sure i care), but for the "game" purposes, it is a good idea.

"You never know how strong you are until being strong is your only choice."

Bob Marley

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:44 pm 
Recognized Donor

3.5e rules say Energy Immunity should stack in instances of different Types.

But it should also override all other castings of Energy resistance/protection of the same Type. But I don't know if NWN2 can handle singling out Types from the blanket resistance/protection spells.

But I'm assuming Energy Immunity is on BGTSCC's custom Breach List? So at least there is that.

Storybuilding

|> Henryk UrdeSword of Justice
|> Simsae OrcslayerSong of Thunder - Stonesinger of Kraak Helzak
|> Preceptor Phasorin ZauPurification through Fire

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:51 pm 

You mean Wendi won't be tempted to reserve multiple 7th level spell slots for Energy Immunity? I can get behind that. :D

• Cleric of Shaundakul
  • [Bio]
Meredith Olma - Divine Elixirs

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:27 pm 
Area Designer

My objection is that monsters meta game, meaning they will use w/e spells you are not immune to. I don't really care about pvp ramifications, though i play an elementalist so i imagine my life would be easier in that regard.

~ Sathia ~ Joy Bringer, The Halls of Inner Light, Apprentice Sword Coast Arcane

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:35 am 

agree :clap:

Diana Prince-White Slayer[Slaying]
Iezzyn-Intuition UD socializer[partially socializing]
Drake-Mielikki
Mc Coy-Halfling

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:39 am 
Quality Control

This'd probably make the lower level energy immunity spells more useful as well (the resistance ones). Sure, why not.

Chultans wonder why things be like they do, but they are.

Young Werther wrote:
I think people need to roll with the punches and not take things so seriously maybe.

aplethoraof in game.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:43 am 
Lead Gnome

I'd not mind this either, it might make evasion even more attractive though which is kinda meh.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:28 am 
Custom Content

Nice suggestion. +1

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:54 am 

Only if elemental, of the element types that ask for a reflex save, traps that ignore evasion get fixed.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:26 am 

The suggested change might have the following changes:

1)
    At times casters today just cast the blanket immunity on themselves, which leaves non-magical party members with nothing but their base HP. Therefore, with the change their party members might get an Energy Immunity as well.

2)
    One of the custom changes of this server is that Energy Immunity Fire, Cold, Electricity, Acid, and Sonic have been added to the Spell Breach lists. Wands of Lesser Spell Breach will remove two random spell effects and with only one active Energy Immunity the probability of that crucial Energy Immunity being stripped increases. Greater Spell Breach removes four spell effects. While the Mordenkainen's Disjunction strips the target from six spell effects.

Therefore, any caster that wishes to use 'Elemental' Damage bursts in PvP will be empowered by this change. A high single damage burst spell can simply wipe out a squishy 4HD arcanist even if they have Energy Buffer active for its blanket 40/- elemental damage reduction. Not to mention that even if they do happen to survive the burst of damage, their spellcasting can be disrupted if their concentration skill is not high enough to overcome the DC of "10 + (Spell Level) + (Damage recieved)".

It will also make it harder for non-magical characters to shield themselves from the Orb Spam. Especially, from Automatic Quicken Spell enchanced Lesser Orb Spam. Although it is already possible to do it with a build that has at least 10 levels of Frost Mage and 7 levels of Arcane Scholar on it, the change would mean that the 10 levels of Frost Mage are not as needed as before. Ergo, you can build for additional power.

This change will have an effect on PvP. While, you can argue that it might make things more interesting, it remains to be seen.

3)
    Currently the only people really interested in stacking "X% (Type of Elemental Damage) Resistance" items are the non-casters. With the suggested change you might witness a higher demand for such items as arcanists might wish to acquire some additional resistance themselves.

4)
    The server has caster mobs who often come with somewhat interesting selection of spells. For example, Orb spells of various elements. Without the blanket immunity of five Energy Immunities a simple spawn of caster mobs can wipe out a character. I know this first hand from prior experience when a room full of Duergar casters took a character with almost 400 Hp down to below 50 in a single round. Therefore, I think it would be preferrable if areas had a focus on single elemental damage type to help players meet the challenge.

- Elminster, probably.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:06 am 
Quality Control

Hoihe wrote:
Only if elemental, of the element types that ask for a reflex save, traps that ignore evasion get fixed.

there are no traps that ignore evasion

there are traps that require a reflex save vs paralysis, -not- vs damage, therefore evasion is irrelevant

i dont mind the change tho i doubt it will do much aside from nerfing looters

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:53 am 
Quality Control

I imagine this is more of a PvP then PvE change. I have never needed any, much less more than 1 energy immunity in a specific area of the server. Sure, cold immunity helps against frost giants, Acid immunity is nice in a few area's, etc. but from a PvE consideration there are multiple other ways to avoid damage. Traps are the one area where it might nerf looters a little, but not much I doubt. Energy Buffer will at least take the edge off most of the traps on chests and a wand of summoning can handle ground traps you can't get around.

I'd be fine with it either way though, from a balance perspective everyone would have to follow the same rule after all, so long as the bosses out there don't get multiple immunity instances, right?

Chord Silverstrings - Bard and OSR Squire / Tarent Nefzen - Arcane Wand Merchant and Master Alchemist / Irrace Arkentlar - Drow Adventurer / Finneaus Du'Veil - Gem Merchant and Executive Officer of SCCE

Tarent's Wands and Elixirs

A Wand Crafter's guide to using wands

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:53 pm 
Quality Control

the only boss i know that uses multiple is the dracolich who has cone of fire breath weapon and casts ice storm, pretty sure he has a negative energy breath weapon also but thats stopped by death ward not EI