BGTSCC Discord BGTSCC IRC

Server Address: game.bgtscc.net
20/96
Last counter update:
2018-10-22 05:45:01

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bear Warrior Roar nerf
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:48 am 

Why did you nerf this ability like that?!
When I was playing Bear Warrior, using Roar out of Bear shape was a huge part of my roleplay, and now its simply gone for no reason! Also, why not actually improve the roar instead? Why don't you make it Divine Shield-like ability (takes one round to cast, but doesn't roll concentration checks)? Isn't it ridicolous that Roar is interruptible by every sneeze? (and I'll remind that BW doesn't have concentration as a class skill).

Could you please rollback that update and make Roar independant from concentration checks? I know that all the BW players would agree with me!

Known as:
Dasha (Happy end)
Gerfrex (Semi-Active Veteran)
Zul (Zulandi Ukwanda) (Active as never!)
Alkor Deezelisk (Dead inside)

Please don't metagame my journals.

Post subject: Re: Bear Warrior Roar nerf
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:58 am 
Custom Content

KOPOJIbPAKOB wrote:
When I was playing Bear Warrior, using Roar out of Bear shape was a huge part of my roleplay, and now its simply gone for no reason! Also, why not actually improve the roar instead? Why don't you make it Divine Shield-like ability (takes one round to cast, but doesn't roll concentration checks)? Isn't it ridicolous that Roar is interruptible by every sneeze? (and I'll remind that BW doesn't have concentration as a class skill).

Could you please rollback that update and make Roar independant from concentration checks? I know that all the BW players would agree with me!

I'll remove the concentration check, makes sense.

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:46 am 

matelener wrote:
KOPOJIbPAKOB wrote:

I'll remove the concentration check, makes sense.

Thanks a lot for this!

Also, I just logged in as my BW, and roar works the same way as before oO (in tiefling form), can we leave it like this?

Known as:
Dasha (Happy end)

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:08 pm 
Lead Programmer

Sorry but how can anything in human shape roar like a bear does ? And be intimidating ? The roar is not magic ! It scares things because it's done by a freaking huge bear.

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:22 pm 

Manbearpig?

Agathion Benedictus: Holy Priest. Retired for now.
Tiax Rules-All: Gnomish madman. Retired permanently.
Exordius Vrass: Cleric/Mage. Currently active.

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:58 pm 
Recognized Member

Manbearpig subrace confirmed

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:02 pm 

Nice lol.

Agathion Benedictus: Holy Priest. Retired for now.
Tiax Rules-All: Gnomish madman. Retired permanently.
Exordius Vrass: Cleric/Mage. Currently active.

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:55 pm 
Custom Content

Confirmed.

Media Team is now under modelling construction of Race: Manbearpig

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:09 pm 

Valefort wrote:
Sorry but how can anything in human shape roar like a bear does ? And be intimidating ? The roar is not magic ! It scares things because it's done by a freaking huge bear.

The same way as the same human turns into a giant dire bear! It's a supernatural ability that human posssesses, and it scares not because the bear looks scary (many other polymorph forms look much more intimidating, but they don't posses the same ability, so it's not about the looks). Following such logic, we must also disable IKD and Scent in human form, but would it make any slightest sense? Bear warrior is not overpowered, why nerfing it and (most importantly) making the gameplay less fun?

Known as:
Dasha (Happy end)

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:42 pm 
Recognized Member

Wolverine would scare the hell out of me.

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:18 pm 

KOPOJIbPAKOB wrote:
Valefort wrote:

The same way as the same human turns into a giant dire bear! It's a supernatural ability that human posssesses, and it scares not because the bear looks scary (many other polymorph forms look much more intimidating, but they don't posses the same ability, so it's not about the looks). Following such logic, we must also disable IKD and Scent in human form, but would it make any slightest sense? Bear warrior is not overpowered, why nerfing it and (most importantly) making the gameplay less fun?

I have to agree. I've always found it unsettling whenever my human dragon disciple lets out a cone of dragon's breath. But yea, this is D&D I suppose.

Arlan ~ Wandering Abbot of the Common Folk.
Zirvoden ~ Scholar & Self-proclaimed Authority on Dragon's Blood. A Recluse.
Ryu'jin ~ Former Imperial High Mage of Kozakura; Retreated to the Sword Coast.

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:39 am 
Lead Programmer

KOPOJIbPAKOB wrote:
Valefort wrote:

It scares because it's a big bear and you have ranks in intimidate, that's the combination of looks and training and it is not magic. I was the one who added it in the first place you know ... the fact you could roar while not in bear shape was a simple oversight.

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:37 am 

Valefort wrote:
KOPOJIbPAKOB wrote:
Valefort wrote:

It scares because it's a big bear and you have ranks in intimidate, that's the combination of looks and training and it is not magic. I was the one who added it in the first place you know ... the fact you could roar while not in bear shape was a simple oversight.

I know that I wasn't the one creating this ability and coming up with the concept, but I still don't agree with you and think it is a supernatural ability. My main character was bear warrior for half a year and her gameplay would have been completely different without Roar in humanoid shape (and it would have been less-less fun).

How about the compromise? For example, lowering the DC of Bear Roar in humanoid form so it doesn't count intimidation ranks while keeping normal DC in Bear Shape? Simply removing the Roar from humanoid form ruins lots of fun, reduces RP possibilities and makes the class weaker, but what do you (the server / the setting / other players) gain from it? Anything?

Known as:
Dasha (Happy end)

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:52 pm 
Lead Programmer

I don't gain anything from it, I merely think it doesn't make sense and is also not consistent with how other shapes work.

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:32 pm 

Valefort wrote:
I don't gain anything from it, I merely think it doesn't make sense and is also not consistent with how other shapes work.

The Bear Warrior's Bear Form was never consistent with other shapes, though, even in PnP. It's similar but not exactly like a polymorph effect. The shape itself gives more bonuses than just changing into a bear would and the Scent ability gained at 3rd level is maintained in nonbear form.

Even if Roar is a custom ability to the kit, being able to use it in nonbear form is more consistent with the Bear Warrior class than not.