Pure Fighter

For Issues, Ideas, or Subjects That Do Not Fit Elsewhere

Moderators: Moderator, DM

ARHicks00

Pure Fighter

Unread post by ARHicks00 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:15 pm

How well does a pure fighter does well on this server and skills did guys use if you did. I have been thinking of doing one, but not sure until I get sone testimonies from veteran players.

The skills I plan to invest in are...

Tumble: 10
Spellcraft: 16
Open Lock: 16
Taunt: 33 (32)
Heal: 16
Intimitdate: 21
**Craft Weapon 16
**Craft Armor: 16

If not Craft Armor or Weapon, Survival?

Hoihe

Re: Pure Fighter

Unread post by Hoihe » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:24 pm

I don't think pure fighter can give you such skills.

Fighter has 2 skill point/level. At level 1, it's 4 x 2 = 8. So, 29 * 2 + 8 = 66

The skills you want sum up to 144.

Starting with 14 int gives you 2 sp/level, At level 1, it's 4 x 2 = 8. So, 29 * 2 + 8 = 66

Altogether you get 132 skill points, 12 points shy.

Getting 16 int as a fighter would gimp you elsewhere, unless a sun elf, drow or tiefling.
"The desire to build a house is the tired wish of a man content with a single anchorage. The desire to build a boat is the desire of youth, unwilling yet to accept the idea of a final resting place."
"The wind and the waves are always on the side of the ablest navigator."

chad878262
Quality Control

Unread post by chad878262 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:34 pm

Check this thread
viewtopic.php?f=64&t=56863
Chord Silverstrings - Bard and OSR Squire / Tarent Nefzen - Arcane Wand Merchant and Master Alchemist / Irrace Arkentlar - Drow Adventurer / Finneaus Du'Veil - Gem Merchant and Executive Officer of SCCE

Tarent's Wands and Elixirs

A Wand Crafter's guide to using wands

ARHicks00

Unread post by ARHicks00 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:35 pm

Hoihe wrote:I don't think pure fighter can give you such skills.

Fighter has 2 skill point/level. At level 1, it's 4 x 2 = 8. So, 29 * 2 + 8 = 66

The skills you want sum up to 144.

Starting with 14 int gives you 2 sp/level, At level 1, it's 4 x 2 = 8. So, 29 * 2 + 8 = 66

Altogether you get 132 skill points, 12 points shy.

Getting 16 int as a fighter would gimp you elsewhere, unless a sun elf, drow or tiefling.
Human fighters get 165 skill points with 14 Intelligence.
http://nwn2db.com/build/?287190

ARHicks00

Unread post by ARHicks00 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:50 pm

chad878262 wrote:Check this thread
viewtopic.php?f=64&t=56863
Went over the thread and it mostly went over builds. I was asking how far can one get with pure fighter and why. I planned to be a Shield Bash/Bastard Sword Fighter if you saw the link in the post above. I am going to switch power critical, knockdown, and improve knockdown for specialization, agiled fighter, and shield bash. Possibly Expert Tactican for Shield Slam.

chad878262
Quality Control

Unread post by chad878262 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:13 pm

Just like anything else melee related, you need umd. Can get by without it, but will get frustrated in epic content. Also... valefort suggests steadfast determination.
Chord Silverstrings - Bard and OSR Squire / Tarent Nefzen - Arcane Wand Merchant and Master Alchemist / Irrace Arkentlar - Drow Adventurer / Finneaus Du'Veil - Gem Merchant and Executive Officer of SCCE

Tarent's Wands and Elixirs

A Wand Crafter's guide to using wands

Hoihe

Unread post by Hoihe » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:19 pm

chad878262 wrote:Just like anything else melee related, you need umd. Can get by without it, but will get frustrated in epic content. Also... valefort suggests steadfast determination.

Right! Forgot Skilled. I guess SP-wise it can work, although UMD will remain a cross-class skill there. Dipping rogue to unlock skills will do wonders (and also open Expose Weakness).
"The desire to build a house is the tired wish of a man content with a single anchorage. The desire to build a boat is the desire of youth, unwilling yet to accept the idea of a final resting place."
"The wind and the waves are always on the side of the ablest navigator."

ARHicks00

Unread post by ARHicks00 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:48 pm

chad878262 wrote:Just like anything else melee related, you need umd. Can get by without it, but will get frustrated in epic content. Also... valefort suggests steadfast determination.
So...?

Tumble: 10
Spellcraft: 16
Open Lock: 16
Taunt: 33 (32)
Heal: 16
Intimitdate: 21
UMD: 16 (15 with 8 bonus points from Spellcraft for 23)
Survival: 5
**Craft Weapon 16
**Craft Armor: 16

I also I have steadfast determination in the linked build above.

ARHicks00

Unread post by ARHicks00 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:50 pm

Hoihe wrote:

Right! Forgot Skilled. I guess SP-wise it can work, although UMD will remain a cross-class skill there. Dipping rogue to unlock skills will do wonders (and also open Expose Weakness).
Trying to go pure fighter with levels in other classes.

Sun Wukong

Unread post by Sun Wukong » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:20 pm

Do not use bastard swords... There are better long swords for sale. For example the 'Nine Lives Stealer' that comes with +4 EB and +2 Vampiric. (Evil Only I think.)

http://nwn2db.com/build/?295081 <= It has some free feats for you to pick whatever you want.

Fast Healing III means that you get to regenerate 6 hit points per round. If you want, you can have Tower Shield and Improved Combat Expertise active at the same time. It should give you reasonably high AC to tank things out.
" I am no longer here, the elves of the Sword Coast are just far too horrible... "
- Elminster, probably.

Sun Wukong

Unread post by Sun Wukong » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:49 pm

As for how a Fighter 30 does on the server... It is doable. But I would have both Improved Power Attack and Improved Combat Expertise. This way my character can two-hand a long sword with Improved Power Attack for the +12 Damage, and turtle up with Improved Combat Expertise and Towershield whenever he needs to AC.

As for general details, I do actually prefer some considerably HP bulk. Such as the build I linked has, with Fast Healing. If an enemy caster flings a reflex based spell, you got enough hit points to absorb it.

The Spell Resistance cloak also gives some added protection against spells, even though it might not be as potent option in the late epics. Having racial spell resistance is a truly massive boost into your anti-caster defenses.

Northlander Hewing might be something worthy of considering as well on a primarily Sword-and-Board fighter. It is one feat instead of two required for Improved Power Attack.

Thus you basically just turtle up, and whittle down the HP your enemies.

But I would have to say that something like a Fighter 12/Blackguard 3/Frenzied Berserker 5/Divine Champion 10 does everything a Fighter 30 does, only better.
" I am no longer here, the elves of the Sword Coast are just far too horrible... "
- Elminster, probably.

ARHicks00

Unread post by ARHicks00 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:59 pm

Sun Wukong wrote:As for how a Fighter 30 does on the server... It is doable. But I would have both Improved Power Attack and Improved Combat Expertise. This way my character can two-hand a long sword with Improved Power Attack for the +12 Damage, and turtle up with Improved Combat Expertise and Towershield whenever he needs to AC.

As for general details, I do actually prefer some considerably HP bulk. Such as the build I linked has, with Fast Healing. If an enemy caster flings a reflex based spell, you got enough hit points to absorb it.

The Spell Resistance cloak also gives some added protection against spells, even though it might not be as potent option in the late epics. Having racial spell resistance is a truly massive boost into your anti-caster defenses.

Northlander Hewing might be something worthy of considering as well on a primarily Sword-and-Board fighter. It is one feat instead of two required for Improved Power Attack.

Thus you basically just turtle up, and whittle down the HP your enemies.

But I would have to say that something like a Fighter 12/Blackguard 3/Frenzied Berserker 5/Divine Champion 10 does everything a Fighter 30 does, only better.
Might consider Northlander, but is Shield bash/Slam/Specialization and Agiled Fighter worth getting?

If I did cross, it would have to be a Fighter/Rogue/Divine Champion/Weapon Master, but the only reason I am not going with this is because Evasion does work with medium or heavy armor.

Sun Wukong

Unread post by Sun Wukong » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:23 pm

Now, I am not sure if it is 100% up to date, but in the past Northlander Hewing did not reduce the number of Shield Bash Attacks. Thus, you could be looking at 4 Northlander Hewing Attacks at level 26, and 3 Shield Bash Attacks with Agile Shield Fighter and two extra Shield Weapon Focus/Specialization feats.
- Elminster, probably.

ARHicks00

Unread post by ARHicks00 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:25 pm

Sun Wukong wrote:Now, I am not sure if it is 100% up to date, but in the past Northlander Hewing did not reduce the number of Shield Bash Attacks. Thus, you could be looking at 4 Northlander Hewing Attacks at level 26, and 3 Shield Bash Attacks with Agile Shield Fighter and two extra Shield Weapon Focus/Specialization feats.
5 shield attacks?

Sun Wukong

Unread post by Sun Wukong » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:27 pm

NO, you get 3 Shield attacks at most. Shield Bash on wiki: https://wiki.bgtscc.net/index.php?title=Shield_Bash
- Elminster, probably.