When was Rockrun Formed?

For Issues, Ideas, or Subjects That Do Not Fit Elsewhere

Moderators: Moderator, DM

Tekill
Recognized Donor

When was Rockrun Formed?

Unread post by Tekill » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:26 am

I was working on my Svifs biography and I had it half imagined that my character was a child when the Duergar invaded Tunnelrun. Then I realized I did not actaully know the exact timeframes of the attack, Tunnelruns defeat, or the following war.
From the time the Gnomes kicked the Dwarves butts to the period of the initial formation of Rockrun, it was about 40 years. King Leoril Blackrock killed the dwarven king and is till king today. And there are existing survivors of the Dwarven attack (the lady in the mask at the Tunnelrunner Headquarters for one).

So!
When did the dwarves stumble upon Tunnelrun, and begin attacking?
How long did the war between the Gnomes and the Duergar last?
Has it been about 40 years since the end of that war?

Svirf do not keep track of time so it makes sense there is no records, I suppose....
Tek Knotwise Sneak
Krackit Cragborn UD
Jebedoah Grimm GOOD
Shunasassi Immeril Pretty Elf in a Pretty Dress

Sun Wukong

Re: When was Rockrun Formed?

Unread post by Sun Wukong » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:52 pm

*Scratches head...*

I do not think Rockrun appears in any official material. But it has been strongly inspired by the settlement of Mantol-Derith.

Just look at the map, look at how it kind of matches some of the Rock-Run areas. Mantol-Derith is way North though, near Menzoberranzan, or Ched Nasad. Thus the answer to your question can only be given by DM decision or something.

But if I refer to faint memory of some very distant forum topics and irc discussions... The duergar were driven away by a few deep gnome generations ago. You know, in order to give the settlement time to recover and allow it to act as some kind of neutral hub. Duergar can enter it, can they not? But like with all things, things have changed little by little over the years.

Edit:
The avarage life span of deep gnome is about 250 years. I just took it from the wikia. A human generation is usually about 30 years. Let us say that the avarage human lifespan is about 80 years. Thus a deep gnome generation could be something like 93~ years. But you would have to look at what the source books say about deep gnomes... how often it takes for kids to mature etc.
" I am no longer here, the elves of the Sword Coast are just far too horrible... "
- Elminster, probably.

Tekill
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Tekill » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:26 pm

The current king, King Leoril Blackrock, was the one to kill the Duergar chief- basically defeating the gray dwarves. Im assuming the death of the chief happened at the end of the war with the dwarves. Leoril was around when the Tunnelrun people asked for Blackrocks help. The war came the Grays lost. Then 40 years later Rockrun was basically started.

There are some gaps...

The answer could be 40 years ago.
But how long has Rockrun been around since it was officially formed? 2 years? There is no time stamp.
And that 40 years does not account for how long the war lasted- the Svirfs gathered intel and took out all the dwarves lands/keeps and mines first before the final keep, where Rockrun is located today. They used mushrooms to starve the Grays while laying siege...that must have taken awhile.

So yeah I sent a copy of this thread to the DM's. Maybe they will get back to me?
If they do I will update this thread.
I just want some specific times so I can figure out how old my character was, when all this happened. Being a survivor will play into his history a lot.
Tek Knotwise Sneak
Krackit Cragborn UD
Jebedoah Grimm GOOD

Tekill
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Tekill » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:57 pm

I spoke with the DM's who have informed me they are giving some love to Rockrun. I sent them a suggestion on some changes that I thought would be easy to introduce. They said they would post it on this thread.
The upperdark is an interesting place no doubt. Without trying to suggest ways to revamp/remove the entire underdark, I do not really know what should be really changed on this part of it. I kind of like it as is personally speaking. I guess the questions is, how do you make it more popular?
Well I would like to see more activity in the UnderDark as a whole, but I have mixed feelings about Rockrun becoming a popular place to visit. Remember, Svirfs do not trust nor really like the rest of us. So they do not want folk in their town. My Svirf always RP's great suspicion when he spots other players in the town. Almost hostile with some races.

I wonder though, if my first mistake is that I tend to lump the upper dark in with the underdark. I see them the same...maybe I should not?
I know it is sort of a gray or neutral area between the surface and the UD...but to me it is all the UD.

So I thought since I was making my rounds on the forum that I would post my suggestion to the DMs myself as I suspect they are busy folk.

Here it is:

My .02 cents.

Solution 1.
You could create a simple timeline of the existing story of Rockrun. Just estimate how long it would take for Tunnelrun to flee to Blackrock, how long it would take Blackrock to militarize. How long to beat the Duergar, including growing mushrooms to lay seige on the dwarves. How long to convert the dwarven keep to a Svirf city, call it Rockrun. And how long it took the svirfs to open its doors to the Upperdark and how long Rockrun has been around since that time.

Orr....

It is very important to point out that the current lore/history of Rockrun is very different from a typical Svirf city or any other Svirf civilization for that matter. And less important to mention that there is no Rockrun in Forgotten Lore cannon as far as I know.

It starts as two separate towns. Blackrock and Tunnelrun. Tunnelrun gets attacked by Duergar. There is a cave in. The survivors run to Blackrock. They mount a counter attack. Lay seige on all the Duergar settlements. The Svirfs use giant purple mushrooms to choke off the Duergar supply lines as a secret weapon which gives the Svirfs a win. The Svirfs take over the dwarvens largest fortress and make it their new home, Rockrun.

Sure, they use illusion to cloak its location, but the city still sticks out like a sore thumb. Its fortified, militarized, well even lit. Worst of all, everyone knows where it is and even the hated drow and duergar no less are allowed free access.

Very un-Svirf like.

It seems that the Duergar stumbled on Tunnelrun which means they did not know of its location, nor would they know of Blackrock location. I can not see Blackrock rallying to attack let alone beating the Duergar (a very militaristic race). Most likely Blackrock would take in the Tunnelrun survivors and then they would all hide out in Blackrock. Safe and secure and away from prying eyes.

What of the Duergar survivors of this war? Where did they all go now that the Svirf stole thier home? Are they the ones we have all been grinding on all these years? heheh.

Using giant poisonous mushrooms to lay siege on the Duergar does not sound realistic...reminds me more of the Smurfs then the Svirfs. Duergar are immune to poison. This would make the seige take longer...as the mushrooms would have to poison the dwarves food supply starving the dwarves over time. Duergar beaten by weeds?!

I think the mushrooms can still be used but more defensively, by the Svirfs. But lets make the Cloaking illusion the great secret weapon that the Svirfs used to defeat the Duergar.

I think you could change the lore/history:
-Duergar stumble on Tunnelrun. Attack, enslave, and collapse the roof over the town.
-Tunnelrunners survivors escape to Blackrock.
-Duergar start searching for Blackrock, for the survivors.
-Blackrock and Tunnelrun survivors this time have time to create a defense plan.
-Instead of some great war between Sfirf and Duergar, with a long drawn out siege involving giant mushrooms. A senario that tarnishes the Duergar reputation a bit- makes them look weak.
-When the Duergar move to ambush, attack and enslave Blackrock. Both the surviving Tunnelrunners and Blackrock - use powerful cloaking illusion ritual (the same used to disguise the current Rockrun)
-Duergar get confused. They get all mixed up, lost and their ranks get disorganized opening them wide up for a counter ambush. Battles ensues the svirvs with vengeance and pure desperation, win, fending off the Duergar from Blackrun.
The Svifs keep the illusion up, then plant the mushrooms making all the tunnels anywhere near Blackrock uninhabitable. The illusion ritual stays to help disguise Blackrocks location now that it has drawn the attention of the evil races.
-To celebrate Blackrock is renamed Rockrun.
-This all happened 40 years ago. And happened over a period of a couple weeks or months.

Much more simple, realistic and there does not need to be many changes made. So the guy who was original creator of Rockrun still maintains credit of its creation.

Best of all Blackrock/Rockrun still gets to stay 'officially' hidden. With the current Rockrun being a Duergar fortress, every evil being in the UD knows of its location.

You clean up some of the areas around Rockrun that would no longer be needed and you can create a 'Ruins of Tunnelrun' map, that could be filled with Svirf ghosts and/or taken over by some sort of monster(s).
A shadow dragon?! - you know we have all been screaming for a shadow dragon down there...

I would upgrade Rockrun by keeping it dark...no lights.
I would not let just anyone in. Maybe players can prove themselves with a quest before being allowed entrance. Quest is optional for access to Svirfs but everyone else needs to prove themselves by completing the quest in order to be given permission to enter. Maybe make it so drow, duergar and orcs can never enter?
Or crate it like the elven towns, where lone visitors are given limited access. I like the quest idea better though.

The last thing I would recommend is that there needs to be a link between Kraak Hazak and Rockrun. Link the surface to the Upperdark a bit more. Open up Dwarf/Svirf RP a bit more by creating an alliance between the two cities. Perhaps make a fast travel from 'inside' Kraak to the 'entrance' to Rockrun and a separate one from 'Inside' Rockrun to rear gate of Kraak Hazak.
Tek Knotwise Sneak
Krackit Cragborn UD
Jebedoah Grimm GOOD