Witch and the Spider

Character Biographies, Journals, and Stories

Moderators: Moderator, DM

BraveLittleCrayfish

Witch and the Spider

Unread post by BraveLittleCrayfish » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:54 am

They were among the lucky ones who have escaped the devastating diabolic grasp. High Moore has become even more inhospitable than ever before, but at the refugee camp they couldn't find their place either. She used to keep the agreeable distance from neighboring denizens, but now she was tossed into their asylum like a butter onto a candent pan. A swamp witch and her eight-legged friend, like ice and fire they did not get along with the crowd, and so they left, looking for their place in this new, unexplored world.

This is the story of Phay-Reen and Fizzleboots, witch and the spider. Are they doing their duty, or merely trying to escape from their past? Time would tell...

Phay-Reen, the Witch"People come and go. The world remains."
Fizzleboots, her spider*chitter chitter*

BraveLittleCrayfish

Re: Witch and the Spider

Unread post by BraveLittleCrayfish » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:31 am

-Encircled-

It has begun when Fizzleboots has lost a stare game to a suspicious deer. Taking one last puff from her pipe, Phay-Reen had to follow the animal luring her in the depths of the woods. And now they are here, infront of the Cloakwood mines entrance, having a bulky ogre towering over them. Ogruhn the ogrillon, some kind of a local legend. He was demanding Phay-Reen and Fizzleboots to follow him insde and Farim, an armored man who followed thr group, to leave or perish.
"Metal man go!" The ogre grumbled.
"Tch, what's your problem with me?"
"Not of forest."

The ogre was determined and agressive, and Phay understood there is only one way to resolve it without blood. She agreed to follow him into the dark depths, and her brave companion Fizzleboots followed. But not Farim. Spitting out curses, he walked off, but promised to return and deal with Ogruhn. Phay was walking in the shadow of a stomping colossus, and her confusion was slowly turning into irritation.
"Remind me again, Ogruhn — Why do I bother following you?" She mumbled on their way.
"Ogruhn tell secret."
"What secrets a simple creature as yourself might know?"
Their path ended at a dead way. As a response, the ogre used some strange magic, making him twice as a big in size and even more ferocious. Phay crawled back to the wall, while Fizzleboots was cautiously skittering around, trying to not get occasionally trampled. Ogruhn told Phay about some Druid Circle she must join, about "white beard" she must talk to at some place called Phoenix. The witch didn't feel herself resolute enough to resist the demands of a 20-feet tall colossus towering over her, and so she agreed. Right at the mines exit they met another person — a white haired human who has immediately confronted Ogruhn.
"Him leave... or him hurt." The colossus snarled.
"I'm not taking 'hat shite 'rom garbage eating ogre!" The man snarled back as his silhouette was enveloping in diabolic flames. "Right critter! Feck off or ye gonna get turned into a pile of dust."
Another clash of inflated egoes it was, and Phay didn't know how to act, and most importantly — whose side to take, if take at all? This confrontation was becoming more and more weird, and now the ogre was playing pretend a hero and telling Phay to leave first while he deals with the man, while the devil pawn was calling the witch an ogre lover and threatening to attack Fizzleboots. It was truly a wicked man, a desperate fool who sold his soul for phantom power. Still, it did not mean the bloodshed should not be avoided.

"Ogruhn. Leave these mines." She demanded.
Her irritated, cold voice has taken an effect, and the creature obeyed, ending the worthless conflict. At least she thought so back then. The cultist who called himself Cal has descended deeper into the mines, spitting out curses on his way. The Phoenix Ogruhn mentioned turned out to be a luxurious Inn, and there he left her alone. But not for long. Instead of promised "white beard", Phay was greeted by a blonde female elf in a green dress and her male human companion. They invited her and Fizzleboots inside, and this only made things more awkward than they were. Glittering ceilings, expensive furniture, well dressed servants with artificial smiles — this was an alien environment for the witch, something she was completely unusued to, and the fact they didn't allow her to smoke inside didn't make the things better. Meanwhile, the elf has taken a seat at the sofa and began overloading Phay with silly question. It has quickly got annoying.
"Is this an interrogation?" The witch has finally uttered.
"I try to find out if you would fit in the cirle because this ogrillon just left you here and didn't tell me anything." The elf responded.
"You speak to me as if I want to join the circle. But I don't. Ogruhn wants me to."
Their lovely conversation was interrupted by the front door slammed open. Cal and Farim, two men sharing one wounded pride. They were enraged, they were shouting and demanding to show them the Ogre they had unsettled scores with. Fizzleboots has immediately covered Phay and taken a defensive stance, hissing at the intruders, while Phay has slowly turned her head to the fellows. She is still doing good at maintaining her stoic expression, but for how long?
"...The evening is becoming more and more amazing." She said.
"Ye dun say." Cal grumbled. "Met eh 'his kind lad 'hat gotta hear from yer husband 'hat he was gonna bash es brains in. Fellah got kinda upset so eh. Just went to look for et, makin sure it dun start eating babies or maybe just do 'hat ye do with every fecking ogre ye se."
"Is this all?" Phay asked him emotionlessly. She was trying to be calm and don't provoke the fools even further, but her patience was running thin.
"Where did he go? You were with him!" Farim was staring directly at the witch.
"I am not Ogruhn's babysitter. Go pester someone else, devil pawn, you have embarassed yourself enough."
"Might wanna look in the mirror about 'hat one, or did ye husband clubbed ye in a dirt digger manner 'hat got ye to spout out." Cal muttered and turned to his friend. "Right, lad, dun bother, big nose 'ere isn't gonna spit it out."
"You just left a dangerous thing off into the world like that." Farim added.
"I am not responsible for the Ogre and whatever he desires to do!" Phay raised her voice to the men, while Fizzleboots was about to leap on them. She extended her cane, blocking his path and desperately trying to de-escalate this nonsensual situation. Meanwhile, the men didn't want to stop, they were enjoying their sadistic demeanor. Cal was blocking the exit, while Farim was searching every corner of the Inn, trying to find the mystical Ogre. It was clear they shall not leave her once they won't find anything, and the situation is inevitably getting out of hand. Taking a nervous breath, Phay sat to the sofa near Natariel and whispered:
"Do you have a contact medallion?"

The elf nodded and silently handed the witch this device. Catching a moment the intruders don't watch, she whispered few abrupt words as her confidence has become even thinner. She felt it was a mistake to ask for help, but she had noone else to save her from this peril. Meanwhile, the events were flowing precisely as she expected. After finishing their fruitless search, the thugs weren't going to leave. They remained, keeping trying to insult the witch and satisfy their sadistic whims. Cal was threatening to kill Fizzleboots, and Phay confessed to herself that she doesn't know what to do. Elf and her human companion tried to reason the brigands, but they weren't decisive enough to do anything. Suddenly, a glorious, long-awaited sound filled the air — a sound of a door slamming open and almost hitting Farim's face.
"OI WATCH IT!" He exclaimed.
"Best nae stand in the way of a door then, aye?" The newcomer pronounced, confidently entering the Inn. He adjusted his hat and looked directly at Phay. She stood up from the sofa and faced him, yet the first one to greet him was Fizzleboots, letting out an enthusiastic squeak. Emrys, a man from the Candlekeep. He was the only one the witch could even think of relying on, and he has come at her call. Responding to his silent question, she said:
"These men are keeping me here. The pale one intimidates."
"Eh, dun worry, lad, about to leave. Just havin some ogre problems in 'ere. Usually hiding in taverns and all." Cal snorted and turned to the door, his confidence was fading, while his friend seemed only more agitated. His blood was boiling as he was staring into Fizzleboots' eyes, and the spider was staring back, angrily hissing and letting the man know he is not welcome here.
"I think they were sayin' they were leavin', aye?" Emrys confidently suggested, and Phay quietly nodded at his words.
"They are leaving, yes. This was enough nonsense for one day." The elf added, still sitting at her luxury sofa.
"You better put that spider in -check-." Farim hissed and recieved another grim spider snarl in response. "Tch. Looks like we are leaving anyways."
"Take care..." The witch uttered through her teeth, watching the men leave. She exhaled once it was over, shifting her gaze back to Emrys. "...Thanks."
"'Course. Glad it was jus' some flustered sods. Easily enough to manage when they're all talk." He winked in response.
"I don't understand what's going on at this point..." Phay sighed.
"These men were hunting Oghrun and thought you know where he is, for some reason." The elf said. "They don't seem to be smart."
"You don't say. Who was the "white beard" he kept talking about?"
"I'll tell him not to force people to join the circle. This was Sane, our archdruid."
"Hold on a minute. Why would those sods be huntin' you?" Emrys asked the witch.
"Because they both were threatened by the Ogre. They think this Ogre obeys me, but I have nothing to do with it." She scoffed.
Gladly, this was over. The human wizard shared several defensive scrolls with the witch, he and the elf bade her, Emrys and Fizzleboots farewell. They were standing outside the Phoenix lodge, near the road, staring somewhere towrads the Hilltop ruins just across it. Phay was the first one to break this long silence.
"I shouldn't have called you."
"Why do you say that?" He looked at her.
"I don't want to be bound by anything. What do I owe you?
"Huh, donnae recall you bein' bound or owin' me anythin'."
"I called you to safe me from them. And... I don't like being in such a role. It exposes my weakness."

The witch kept staring into the distance, across the blue skies ahead. She was feeling herself uncomfortable, anxious, she didn't understand what's going on and how she is supposed to act now. After all, she and Fizzleboots are only learning to live in a society. Emrys had a strong spirit, much stronger than hers, yet he helped someone who was weaker.
"Why are you doing it for me?" She simply asked.
"'Cause I give a damn." He shrugged. "You're already in a bad enough situation bein' forced from your home an' all. Nae to mention I'm a born an' raised Moonshaean. On the Isles, your sort are held in high regard an' given a great deal of respect."
"You are the first human to protect me, Emrys. I don't know how should I act." Her gaze has shifted somewhere away. Again.
"I'd say jus' act as you wish. I'm nae gonna demand anythin' outta you."
"Devils promise the same..."
Soon, they have arrived to the Friendly Arm. Phay still doesn't understand why locals mistreat Fizzleboots so much. What did he do to them? How is he different from cats and dogs that are common here? She had to admit that Fizzleboots' temper doesn't help either, and only Restorative cocoon cast in time saved the life of a local drunkard who decided that poking a giant spider into his eye is a bright idea. The man didn't learn a lesson, continuing provoking a wild predator for his own intoxicated entertainment, not listening to Phay's words.
"This is not a joke. I don't want anyone hurt." She gave the man a stern glare. "Namely you."
"If you don't want anyone hurt, you wouldnt being a stupid spider where ANYONE is." He mumbled back, while Fizzleboots was agressively hissing at him and preparing for a pounce.
"Boy, stop..." The witch gently asked her comrade, and the spider visibly relaxed at her tender touch. Meanwhile, the drunk was restless and started falsly accusing Fizzleboots of attacking children. This was about to get out of hand, and so Phay and Emrys did the only thing they could — they left the man and entered the Inn. Being in a civilization is complicated, any slight misstep is a death sentence. Surviving in the wilds is more simple. Emrys kept insisting that Phay shares some brown poison he called "whiskey" with him, and she finally agreed, still feeling guilt for calling him to aid her.
"Imagine if I was drunk back there, near the gates." She spoke slowly inside of the Inn. "I wouldn't bother stopping Fizzleboots. He would've torn the man apart, and then the mob would've come for us, come to murder. Who would've saved us then?"
"Then I got myself the responsibility of makin' sure you nae do anythin' stupid nae tell Fizzleboots to do somethin' stupid." He declared with a glass of alcohol in his hand.
She painfully choked as her lips first touched the poison. Emrys was amused by it, but she wasn't so much. It was a trial, a challenge for her to consume this all as a repay for what he has done for her. At least this is what she tried to convince herself in. Taking a deep breath, she downed the whole glass at once, and this was a fatal mistake. The floor began shifting away from her feet, her senses are fading away, and so does her magic. She doesn't remember what happened next, nothing but Emrys speaking to a suspicious figure inside of her room.

Hidden: show
Credits (in order of appearance):

The Forgettable as Ogruhn
razzaban as Farim
HauntingBard as Cal
DarkestGott as Natariel (the elf)
Necroking as Aremn (her human companion)
MasterSilke as Emrys
astralisadept as Alda (the drunk)

BraveLittleCrayfish

Re: Witch and the Spider

Unread post by BraveLittleCrayfish » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:40 am

-Hope?-

"How did that talk with the Elder Circle go?"
"Unproductive. They failed to motivate me to join."
Phay-Reen was melancholically examining the entrails of the Last Anchor Inn while three women were watching her from behind, from their soft, convenient sofas. Cerys, one of them, the one who witnessed the mentioned fruitless exchange, spoke:
"Didn't pay well enough?"
"There is no pay at all. Circles are all about charity or zealotry, one or another..." The witch mumbled in response, absently grinding a blue petal between her fingers.
"Forgive me, not a druid here. So the Elder Circle was the former or the latter..?"
"The issue is they couldn't answer such a simple question themselves."
Phay has purchased a couple of heavy pumpkins and left the tavern to finally meet Fizzleboots. It was the last quiet night before the storm.

The next morning, Phay-Reen and Fizzleboots have stumbled upon a huge gathering of armed people. Knights, Elder Circle druids, trading companies' mercenaries, bored wizards — all came to face the diabolic threat. The witch was sceptical about this venture. Not because she didn't believe in selfless intents, but because she has seen what devils can do and has yet to see someone capable to stop them.

The army has arrived to the High Moor, a place so familiar and warm in this cold, rainy evening. She lit up her pipe and took a long thoughtful puff, watching the catapults deploy. A group of gnomes and a tribe of lizards joined the army, and this was the moment a creeping dark swarm appeared on the horizon.

"Trolls!" Someone shouted.
"GET BACK INTO THE BARRICADES!"

Fizzleboots was lost and terrified, exposing his true feelings while nobody watched in the madness of combat. A horde of devils and trolls crushed upon the frontline like an avalanche, generously seasoned by hail of arrows and magical missiles, but still moving forth. Phay didn't know the art of war, but she knew this very place, she could feel every single vibration of this familiar soil, she could feel the earth's pain.

The witch has concentrated and invoked a terrible earthquake under the feet of marching army of death. She used her defensive chants to protect the frontline, she was trying to do her little part, but the horde seemed endless, and soon the first casualties were witnessed.

Cerys, the smiling person Phay was speaking to a night ago, was unconcious at the medical ward. Her wounds were heavy, she was lying on the ground covered in dirt, moss and stale blood. The witch did all she could to help while deafening combat noises were heard in the distance. Phay's home was destroyed by the devils indeed, although this invasion was but an issue before, forcing humans to retreat and flee. It has turned into a horror when the humans began fighting back. Cracking bones, exposed guts, molten rocks launched onto enemies' heads — she heard it all, every pitch of this symphony of violence. Diabolic presence in this world is unnatural, but so is the war itself.

After a long unearable combat, the army was greedily relaxing by the medical ward, enjoying this lucky moment of rest. Their spirits were high, even despite the casualties and losses. The witch was keeping distance in her usual manner, she was meditating by the campfire, filling her mind with special spells she needed, and Fizzleboots was near, recovering from the shock he experienced.

The rest was over when a colossal shadow flew over the crowd.

The most brutal clash of this night has begun. A new wave of foul creatures has charged onto the baricades, supported by breeding pods and flying creeps. The shadow has landed and joined the forces, turning out to be a devil general, a creature of incredible size and power. The human army looked doomed, but then a secret weapon showed up on the battleflied. Colossal golem brought by the gnomes and earth guardian summoned by lizards, together they engaged in a fight with the devil general, giving the humans enough time to counterattack.

Giant snakes, sword spiders, water elementals — the swamp dwellers answered call of the witch and joined the army in this merciless carnage. The earth trembled when the golem fell to the ground crushed by the devil lord, but he did his part. Together, the humans have stricken as one, and in the end they have prevailed.

Sun rays were desperately trying to break through the morning haze. The army was celebrating their hard earned victory. Earth guardian and giant golen — two most powerful creatures fighting against devils tonight, they both fell, sacrifising themselves to let others live, to give the humans a second chance. Phay and Fizzleboots didn't join the celebration. They were walking through these wounded lands and collecting the mosses and herbs to dry and smoke out later in the moments of idleness. This land can't be saved and she will never return here. She didn't believe that this victory will change anything. Still, there was a nervous, alomost sincere smile on her lips. Watching the army leave the swamps, she quietly uttered:
"So they may as well be defeated..."

Hidden: show
Credits:

Senshuu as Cerys
DM Teophanies and 30+ players taking part in his epic event