Letters From The Gate (Shali's Journal)

Character Biographies, Journals, and Stories

Moderators: Moderator, DM

DaloLorn

Letters From The Gate (Shali's Journal)

Unread post by DaloLorn » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:31 pm

So, I decided I'd try my hand at having Shali write some letters to her family… and from there I realized it didn't make much sense for her to suddenly start writing them, so…
Hidden: show
The letter has been written slowly and carefully, in the manner of someone who is not entirely accustomed to writing, but is in no hurry to get it done.

Dear Mom and Dad,

I'm sorry it's taken me so long to write this letter. Things have been... pretty hectic lately, and I've been too busy getting settled in to think about writing home.

Baldur's Gate is... new. Big. I remember that time we visited Waterdeep, when I was a little girl, but... somehow, it didn't feel like this. It's huge, and cramped, and crowded, and there are some really awful places in here... but there's also kind, good people. Like this halfling, Bill, who came and saved me when I got a little in over my head in the graveyard, practicing on some undead. (I'm fine now, really - I was only dead for maybe an hour!) He didn't have to help me, but he did, and... It makes me feel better, knowing that I'm not the only one here who cares about people. That I'm not alone, that people like me can make it out here.

I've also had plenty of time to practice my drying spells - you wouldn't believe how much rain they get down here! I hear old Halbazzer over at Sorcerous Sundries makes a small fortune protecting against the moisture; I don't doubt it for a minute. I wish he'd be a little more careful with his deliveries, though... I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to shake vials of alchemist's fire like that.

Tell everyone I miss them, and I wish they were here.

Love you,
Shali
Elfsong Tavern, Baldur's Gate
Ches 9, 1355
(P.S. How's Kaylen doing? Is he feeling better?)
European player, GMT+1. Active in Discord.
Cast of characters:
  • Shali Menner
  • Ollandor Ilvanthis
  • Siril Alenor
  • Silia Evrine
  • Mainda Fennemen
  • Hugishnak Tenck

DaloLorn

Re: Letters From The Gate (Shali's Journal)

Unread post by DaloLorn » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:45 pm

There's a timeskip here that didn't occur in reality - the events of the previous letter took place from March 16 through 17, and this one took place the next afternoon.
The handwriting on this letter is shaky at times, and there are a few discolored spots throughout its surface, likely caused by something dripping onto it. In some of the spots, the letters are distorted, indicating that they had been written before the fluid landed on the parchment. Both of these issues intensify towards the end of the letter.

Dear Mom and Dad,

Again, I'm sorry I haven't been able to keep up with my letters. I've been out of town for most of the past tenday, and I only came back to the Gate this morning. I think. It's… a bit of a blur. I'm glad everything's okay back home, and that Kaylen's leg is getting better; it's good to hear good news right now. I just wish I had some of my own to write here. Where should I begin…?

I found some troll hides lying around outside town. It looked like somebody had just… dumped them, for some reason. I heard they were paying a nice sum for troll hides in Candlekeep, so I hired someone to take me there by boat. Easy, right? Except… it wasn't. I managed to sneak past the giant beetles and the ogres between me and the Keep, and I got the hides through, but when I got back, the boat was gone! I didn't know what else to do, so I ran. I ran as fast and as far as I could, but the beetles were faster, and my magic wasn't strong enough. I managed to outrun the beetles, but then I ran into these huge scorpions, and while I was running away from them I ran into the beetles again, and I tripped, and I fell, and…

When I woke up, there was a Tempuran - a cleric or a knight of some kind, called Vallise - looking down at me, healing me and occasionally fending off more beetles. He helped me get to Beregost, and then he bought me a magic license; apparently you need those to cast spells in Amn. I stayed in Beregost for a while, but I just had to get back to the Gate. Alone. Gods, how could I have been so stupid?

I spent days running north - I don't even know what I had to get through anymore. Beetles, goblins, kobolds... everything was out to kill me, and I couldn't even stick to the Trade Way for most of the trip. I spent all my healing potions, and when I ran out of those, I treated my wounds any way I knew, but... I don't even know how I made it to the Chionthar, let alone the Gate! If it weren't for Isabella… Oh, I guess I haven't mentioned her before. I met her once before the trip - she's a little weird, and always seems to be carrying a book, but... I guess she's all right? Anyway, I must have passed out, bleeding to death by the campfire outside the Gate, and I guess she found me like that.

This… this was never meant to go this way. I thought my magic would protect me long enough to get the hang of this, but... I just can't do it. I can't stay alive if I don't learn to use my powers to defend myself, but I can't learn that unless I live through a few fights. Isabella thinks I don't have to run away, but I need to accept that I could easily die any time... I'm not sure I can do that, either. And how am I going to get through this on my own? If I knew how to get back home in one piece, I would, but for now… I have to work it out. Somehow. What other choice do I have?

I miss you so much,
Shali
Elfsong Tavern, Baldur's Gate
Ches 16, 1355
Cast of characters:
  • Shali Menner
  • Ollandor Ilvanthis
  • Siril Alenor
  • Silia Evrine
  • Mainda Fennemen
  • Hugishnak Tenck

DaloLorn

Re: Letters From The Gate (Shali's Journal)

Unread post by DaloLorn » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:07 pm

In sharp contrast to its immediate predecessor, this small missive has been written in quick, energetic strokes. Whoever wrote it was in a great hurry - either to spread the news or to do something else - and has forgotten about almost everything beyond the message itself.

I'm going to be trained! Isabella's been looking for someone to teach me about my magic, and she thinks she's found someone!

I might actually stand a chance...
Shali
Ches 18, 1355
Cast of characters:
  • Shali Menner
  • Ollandor Ilvanthis
  • Siril Alenor
  • Silia Evrine
  • Mainda Fennemen
  • Hugishnak Tenck