New D&D Forgotten Realms server?

Off-Topic Community Conversations and Discussions

Moderators: Moderator, DM

Yumi

New D&D Forgotten Realms server?

Unread post by Yumi » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:59 pm

Hey guys!

Just throwing this idea out there to see if it is something you guys would be interested in. :D

So, I have my own deadicated server, hosted in France...if I were to set up a new forgotten realms server set in 3.5 like BG, would anyone be interested? If so, what region should I go for? I was thinking setting it around NeverWinter. As for the timeframe; i'd probably mirror BG.

This is a very wide net i'm casting to scope if this is something I should consider or not. Thoughts?
Characters
Colten White - 'Fighting with style'
Belthazor - Mad scientist'

Holy Sword

Re: New D&D Forgotten Realms server?

Unread post by Holy Sword » Wed May 01, 2019 1:34 am

A new server would be nice, though you'll be competing with the two or so servers that have been around for over 10 years for players. I remember when Darkest Dreams first came out (sometime last year), alot of people logged on to look. But after a few months it died off. So while your idea sounds good, just know the reality of the matter is that for a server to thrive or be at least successful, it has to be the works. When a new computer company starts up, they will have to compete with Microsoft and Apple, which is no small matter. Even that server Sigil: City of Doors died off after a few years, and it was a good server too.

Darradarljod

Unread post by Darradarljod » Wed May 01, 2019 4:29 am

Cheeky question: had you considered contributing content as a builder here to expand the BG server?
Arledge Arnemeiger - Triadic Knight, Golden Lion of the Coalition
Bueroza - Zhentarim Agent, Dread Novitiate of the Ebony Scepter
Sz'wit - Drow Assassin

InsomnesCanis

Unread post by InsomnesCanis » Wed May 01, 2019 5:36 am

Another point to consider is the overall community size across servers.
it was mentioned in another thread that the community is tiny and so everyone comes to BG to have people to play with, and while anothet server in Neverwinter or something similiar adds more maps/ content/ etc.. what it doesnt create is more players, just divides the ones already here during active hours.
So my opinion on the matter is that a server which provides a whole new niche or set of themes then what BG is offering (like Ravenloft or Ebberon, or a server concentrated around an endless frontline war or backroom politics without fighting at all but with better attention to NPCs and live DMing), it would be easier to establish as one that will exists alongside BG's player base instead of competeing with it.
But maybe im reading the community map wrong, in which case would appriciate the feedback.
Lylan'Synor Syr'Asiryn- "The point of the sword is the tip of the blade."

Lockonnow

Unread post by Lockonnow » Wed May 01, 2019 9:19 am

I allways wish a Neverwinter/Icewind dale Server and of couse a on english you can take the areas from the Icewind dale mode nwn2 game and the nwn2 game so it will be easy to make a new one but you need to build the heart of winter areas mode and maybe from Icewind dale 2

deserk

Unread post by deserk » Wed May 01, 2019 10:40 am

I don't think new PWs generally reduce the overall playerbase of other PWs. There are plenty of people who aren't playing NWN2 simply because they don't like the current choice of PWs around.

Neverwinter as setting isn't the worst idea. I don't think I've actually seen any other PW that has set it's server around there. And you could potentially have a scope that could include Luskan as well, and other cities/settlements of the Sword Coast North and Savage Frontier.

But yeah I'm also a big fan of the IWD games, they had a pretty rich and intriguing setting, so honestly that would preferably in my opinion at least. And perhaps it could have a scope that could include bigger cities like Luskan and Mirabar.

Other places that I would think interesting would be Moonsea, Vilhon Reach, Lake of Steam and Tashalar

Pierce

Unread post by Pierce » Wed May 01, 2019 11:03 am

Neverwinter has plenty of canon lore from which to draw support.
Anywhere on the Sword Coast would be nice - Waterdeep, Luskan, Icewind Dale.

Personally, I'd like to see Sembia given its proper due.

I also like the Ravenloft suggestion!

I think there'd be plenty of interest in something new and shiny. Just gotta make sure that the infrastructure is there to maintain that interest.

Steve
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Steve » Wed May 01, 2019 5:24 pm

I would second the comment that there is probably lots and lots of interest in a new Server, but it would need a big team to pull off a new Server that could provide as rich an experience as what BGTSCC can offer, having 10 years of investment...and counting. Not that that should deter you!

I would also second the comment that for a new Server to work, it would have to provide a strong alternative to what BGTSCC has to offer, either in terms of Place (location in FR) or Quality (type of RP). Thinking about what sort of experience Players would gain is tantamount to the success of any such endeavor.

And lastly I would second the comment that...how about, if you have the knowledge for Server hosting/building/developing, you bring those skills TO BGTSCC, and see the many happy smiley faces that would greet your efforts! See --> :D
Storybuilding

|> Henryk UrdeSword of Justice, the New Church of Tyr
|> Simsae OrcslayerStonesinger of the Telormar Gultor & citizen of the Kingdom of Kraak Helzak
|> Monserrate — Dancing with the Devil

c2k

Unread post by c2k » Wed May 01, 2019 6:09 pm

You are down to 2 or so servers in NWN2 because NWN2 is not PW-friendly at all. The reason why even BG exists the way it does is because the developers worked really hard to make this work. Normally, a server begins to lag and crash out when you are in the 20-30 player range. Investment and dedication allows BG to get to what... 60-70? The biggest flaw of NWN2 is that it wasn't as PW-friendly as NWN1.

That said, there are definitely some players here because it is one of the only games available on the NWN2 platform. While some may see it as poaching population, if the people who really don't want to play here and have no choice actually had a choice to play elsewhere, would it not benefit the server in the long run? Most of those people lean toward getting banned or ridiculed by the population anyway, so why would it be beneficial to be greedy and try to collect all the players?

Akroma666

Unread post by Akroma666 » Wed May 01, 2019 7:20 pm

I'd join if it had a similar expanded class options system. That and they were more open about PVP and it wasn't PG.
Storm - The Blade Flurry
Druegar Grizzleclaw - The Mountain Ruin Tsar
Akroma Thuul - The Creepy Enchanter
Liliana Duskblade - The B*tch of Bane
Jamie Dawnbringer - The Light in the Darkness

Ariella

Unread post by Ariella » Wed May 01, 2019 7:24 pm

Make an Eberron server and i am there.

thids

Unread post by thids » Wed May 01, 2019 9:09 pm

Tethyr, during the interregnum. You are welcome.

#Tethyr4lyfe
Maximilian Blackthorne

InsomnesCanis

Unread post by InsomnesCanis » Thu May 02, 2019 5:58 am

Personally, I'd like to see Sembia given its proper due.
Seconded!
Lylan'Synor Syr'Asiryn- "The point of the sword is the tip of the blade."

izzul

Unread post by izzul » Thu May 02, 2019 7:41 am

with your resources,

-BG probably can be split and made bigger.
-your contribution would double the server's effectiveness.
-maybe solve the limited space problem
-bring back Avernus
-allow the building of new areas like the drow new town
-probably make Overland Map possible too (storm of Zehir)
-and double the population
Izz Azzul-Lady Red Knight[Active]
Kruegr Earthstone-Grumbar Trader viewtopic.php?f=55&t=56617 [Partially Trading]
Amber Heartseeker-Siamorphe[partially Active]
Ariel Return-Mystra[partially active]
Diana Prince-White Slayer[Slaying]
Iezzyn-Intuition UD socializer[partially socializing]

Yumi

Unread post by Yumi » Thu May 02, 2019 3:19 pm

wow, you guys have given me a lot to think about...Thanks for the replies <3

I recently emailed Lisa about this and she did bring up a good point, would this divide the community? I don't know...But it is something to think about. In regards to building a team i've already got some people who have expressed and intrest to help.

I was excited about the idea but now I am kinda sitting on the fence on if this is a good idea. Yes I would love a new unique setting, but what effect will it have on the really, really tiny community here?
Characters
Colten White - 'Fighting with style'
Belthazor - Mad scientist'