Expose Weakness and Crippling Strike for ranged?

Suggestions or Mechanical Requests for Classes, Feats, Races, Etc.

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Associate Dev, Developer, DM

Gadwin

Expose Weakness and Crippling Strike for ranged?

Unread post by Gadwin » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:31 pm

I know that these feats didn't work with ranged attacks for whatever reason in the base game, but i'd like to ask if the BG team's retaining of that was due to engine limitations or if it was an actual decision of not wanting ranged characters to have them work for class balance reasons. As a ranged rogue, both of these feats would be nice to have in working order, but I also realize that I know nothing of how the server's late-game balance is.

chad878262

Re: Expose Weakness and Crippling Strike for ranged?

Unread post by chad878262 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:30 am

Ranged Rogue doesnt need them out of HiPS and is already very strong. I doubt staff would consider opening EW to ranged... Not sure about crippling strike though... seems fair, but haven't ever considered it as I didnt know that it wasnt applying to ranged.
Chord Silverstrings - Bard and OSR Squire / Tarent Nefzen - Arcane Wand Merchant and Master Alchemist / Irrace Arkentlar - Drow Adventurer / Finneaus Du'Veil - Gem Merchant and Executive Officer of SCCE

Tarent's Wands and Elixirs

A Wand Crafter's guide to using wands

Mallore

Unread post by Mallore » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:06 am

Be neat to see a fix to crippling strike as it doesn’t work on bosses who are the very target you need it on. Getting it at level 10 and thinking your going to start rocking sucks to find out 9 our of every 10 bad guys is immune to it sucks.

Sucks more not knowing that till someone tells you or you finally notice the bosses AB bonus wasn’t shrinking or the damn thing didn’t fall over to zero str ((or becoming always sneak worthy))
Jane of Here and There (Jane Price)

...also

Jennifer and A Drow.

Kaeldre

Unread post by Kaeldre » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:29 pm

Most ranged options are already in a pretty good spot at the moment, in my opinion. I dont feel the need of giving them further options to play with to improve their current standing, thus I would dispprove of opening up expose weakness to ranged in general. Crippling strike is much more niche in comparison and could be entertained I think. The top stealth ranged builds do not include 10 rogue, meaning that a specific buff to their archetype would not change much. In addition to this, it is an ability easily countered by any wand user. In conclusion, I dont see a problem with opening up crippling strike to ranged rogues balancewise.
Lilith, The Sorceress
"To be united by hatred is a fragile alliance at best"

Jhael, The Betrayer
"To believe in an ideal is to be willing to betray it"

J'hannis, The Devout
"To embrace apathy is to be marked by death"