Spell slot items goofy?

Any Issues or Bugs Should Be Posted in Their Respective Categories

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Associate Dev, Developer, DM

Snarfy

Spell slot items goofy?

Unread post by Snarfy » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:50 am

While putzing around last night on my Wiz/Olin/Archmage, I realized my spell slot items weren't registering, so I unequipped them all, re-equipped, and re-filled my spell book...

The changes seemed to stick after resting, and I thought everything was good. Then I logged in after reset to this...

It seems that, after server reset, all my spell slot items were not registering again. Unequipped, re-equipped, and the slots opened up again...

Is this a known thing? Is there something I haven't done/need to do to have my spell slots(from items) persist from one reset to the next? If I have to re-memorize over and over it wont be the end of the world, but.. sheesh. :?

Or is this another archmage thing? I know that on my sorcerer, all I have to do it rest and the item spell slots open up/re-calibrate again. This doesn't seem to be the case with my wizard.

*** EDIT ***: Logging in and out disables the spell slot items as well, until you unequip/re-equip.

I checked on my clerics spell slot items and they're fine, the spell slots persisting through logging out/in and resets. The heck?

Maecius
Global Admin

Re: Spell slot items goofy?

Unread post by Maecius » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:20 pm

Unfortunately this is a known thing.

We have a script that un-equips and re-equips your items when you log in. It's why you shouldn't ever log off with a full inventory (as, if your inventory is full when the script runs, you can drop all your equipped gear onto the floor).

It should be showing the slots though -- that is new. They should just be empty (requiring you to repick your spells) every single time. You shouldn't have to un-equip and re-equip manually.

Unhappily, this script is to prevent some exploitative game behavior (which can even happen accidentally, so it's not like it's to punish the masses for the sins of a few -- people used to trigger this bug accidentally), and we don't have an easy fix at this time.

Snarfy

Unread post by Snarfy » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:22 pm

Maecius wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:20 pm
Unfortunately this is a known thing.

We have a script that un-equips and re-equips your items when you log in. It's why you shouldn't ever log off with a full inventory (as, if your inventory is full when the script runs, you can drop all your equipped gear onto the floor).

It should be showing the slots though -- that is new. They should just be empty (requiring you to repick your spells) every single time. You shouldn't have to un-equip and re-equip manually.

Unhappily, this script is to prevent some exploitative game behavior (which can even happen accidentally, so it's not like it's to punish the masses for the sins of a few -- people used to trigger this bug accidentally), and we don't have an easy fix at this time.
Not to worry. Mister Barracuda(Steve) gave me the low down, and how this issue is also partially related to any INT items the wizard may have equipped. After some un-equipping, and resting, and re-logging, and testing, things got significantly more confusing, so I've come to the conclusion that simply un-equipping/re-equipping/rework spellbook'ing is the easiest solution. Thanks for the heads up.

Steve
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Steve » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:31 am

After talking with Snarfman I loaded up my Wizard with Racial INT bonus and as well, a gazillion bonus spell slot items.

Like normal, when I logged it, the Spellbook showed many empty slots, and that required me adding spell choices back in, then resting, then everything was fine.

As Snarf’s pics show, actually MISSING the spellslots (not even showing up blank), is a very weird issue indeed.

Also, if Snarf’s build sacrifices spells for Archmage perks, then possible this conflicts with the Bonus Spell from Item “registry,” and the Engine just chokes and tosses all the Bonuses out the Spellbook?

At least I can shut his makes playing a Magic User all the more fun! Haha...not. :dance:
Storybuilding

|> Henryk UrdeSword of Justice, the New Church of Tyr
|> Simsae OrcslayerStonesinger of the Telormar Gultor & citizen of the Kingdom of Kraak Helzak
|> Monserrate — Circle of Rust and the Worm

Snarfy

Unread post by Snarfy » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:01 pm

Steve wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:31 am
At least I can shut his makes playing a Magic User all the more fun! Haha...not. :dance:
:cry: ... lol. Man, it gets more confusing.

Houston, we may have a problem here. I think...

Some post update screenshots. This is a level 22 sun elf character, Wizard 7/Olin Gisir 10/Archmage 5 (level 5th and 7th slot sacrificed), with 25 base INT.

Does having six level 1 slots look off to anyone? Beyond having 4 slots at level 20, I don't know how to calculate slots beyond that based off of INT bonus...
Hidden: show
Wizard
Spell per day
Lvl: 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
1 3 1 - - - - - - - -
2 4 2 - - - - - - - -
3 4 2 1 - - - - - - -
4 4 3 2 - - - - - - -
5 4 3 2 1 - - - - - -
6 4 3 3 2 - - - - - -
7 4 4 3 2 1 - - - - -
8 4 4 3 3 2 - - - - -
9 4 4 4 3 2 1 - - - -
10 4 4 4 3 3 2 - - - -
11 4 4 4 4 3 2 1 - - -
12 4 4 4 4 3 3 2 - - -
13 4 4 4 4 4 3 2 1 - -
14 4 4 4 4 4 3 3 2 - -
15 4 4 4 4 4 4 3 2 1 -
16 4 4 4 4 4 4 3 3 2 -
17 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 3 2 1
18 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 3 3 2
19 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 3 3
20 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4
Last edited by Snarfy on Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Theodore01
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Theodore01 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:22 pm

https://nwn2.fandom.com/wiki/Ability_modifier
and Spellcasting Prodigy feat adds also.........

Snarfy

Unread post by Snarfy » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:33 pm

Theodore01 wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:22 pm
https://nwn2.fandom.com/wiki/Ability_modifier
and Spellcasting Prodigy feat adds also.........
Nice, thank you for the link... but I'm still confused.

So, I also have a level 10 Wiz/Arcane Scholar, who is enchantment focused, spell casting prodigy. At 19 base INT, and all spell slot gear removed, he has seven level 1 slots, and six level 2 slots...

Compared to my level 22 Wiz, without spellcasting prodigy, who has six level 1 slots, and six level 2 slots. What am I missing here?

*** Edit ***

I'm starting to think that the level 22 character was getting way too many slots before the update. I talked with some caster players, and I think the math checks out:

@ Level 22: Four base level 1 spell slots, + two more slots from having 25 INT = 6 slots.
With + 3 INT ring, and spell slot items: Four base + three from INT + two from items = 9 slots.

Before the update, after fiddling with re-equipping, he was getting eleven 1st level slots.

Steve
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Steve » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:05 pm

I've noticed, periodically, that some of my Caster toons will get an extra spell slot here and there, after first log in.

But after Resting, things usually clear up.

I can imagine that logging/relogging in succession could cause some weird behavior, spellslots-wise, and putting Bonus Spell Slot Items in the mix as well...STOP MESSING WITH THE GAME, SNARF-O! You're about to blow this (#2) up...just because your "High" Elf needs 9+ Magic Missiles?!?!? :violin: 8-) 0:)
Storybuilding

|> Henryk UrdeSword of Justice, the New Church of Tyr
|> Simsae OrcslayerStonesinger of the Telormar Gultor & citizen of the Kingdom of Kraak Helzak
|> Monserrate — Circle of Rust and the Worm