Moderators: Moderator, DM

Calodan

State of the server announcement

Unread post by Calodan » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:10 pm

Maecius wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:55 pm
9 September 2019

Greetings everyone,

The past three years have been exciting and rewarding for both Endelyon and myself. Watching this server grow in so many ways has been amazing. Although neither of us really planned to become administrators for BG:TSCC -- it was basically either that or watch the server disappear -- I do think, without putting too many words in Endelyon's mouth, that we've both generally enjoyed it.

That being said, neither of us truly intended our adminship to last quite as long as it has. And we are now finally preparing to pass the reins to the next generation of leaders -- leaders with fresh ideas and new ambition for our home here on the Sword Coast.

Those new leaders will be Miasmata, our Lead Builder, and Zanniej, our Forum Developer.

Sometime this week, we will be setting them up with admin-in-training titles and granting them all of the accesses that we have. Then, over the next few months, we'll be working with them to transition the server.

We'll be teaching them the ropes of what it is we do, moving the server's legal ownership from my name to one of theirs, and so on. We'll also be transferring all of the donation money to a new account managed by one of them -- so that all of your generous donations will continue to give life to this place for many years to come.

Questions about this transition can be addressed to the Global Admin user group, or to me directly if you'd prefer. We intend for this process to be as smooth and unnoticeable for you, the player, as it can be. But we wanted to let you know what was going on before we began transitioning.

Thank you!
Maecius
First off I would just like to thank both Endelyon and The Great Bear King for all they have done in their time here. You have been excellent and always kept BG going.

I was wondering if Miasmata and Zanniej would be gracious and share their vision for the server? What they were hoping to accomplish as the new Admins for this server?

AND PLEASE IF THEY DO SHARE THEIR VISION LETS NOT "YUCK THEIR YUM" Please be courteous and just read it. No need in getting into heated debate over this. I am simply curious as to where they see this server headed under their direction.
Kory Sentinel
"We should take the army head on!"

"... it sounds like a terrible idea, but look at that smile."
"And he just sounds so confident ... he is a favored soul."
"Even if we don't survive, he will, and isn't that what matters?" -Red Lancer

Agog_Fr
Quality Control

Re: State of the server announcement

Unread post by Agog_Fr » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:04 pm

Obviously, like everyone, I thank you very much for everything you did for the server, during all these years.

Without you I will not have discovered this great server, two months ago for me. :)

It will do you good to unburden you of this important responsibility. You deserve it amply.
Play Angbaal the Necromancer.
Video presentation of my Guild : Link.

AlwaysSummer Day
Recognized Donor

Unread post by AlwaysSummer Day » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:32 pm

Well I suppose it is an end of an era. I hope you two stick around and continue to RP. I still have no idea what happened to Luna all those years ago. However the past couple of years have seen massive improvements in features and server stability.

If either of you find yourselves in charleston hit me up. I'll buy you a beer or something.

As for miasmata and zanneij.... you two have a lot of work ahead I am sure so I'll keep this brief. Thank you for stepping up to the task of running a server.
Roland; svirfneblin fist of the forest and eco terrorist.

Max Hatchet

Unread post by Max Hatchet » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:34 am

Thank you both for maintaining and developing such an amazing world.

I think practically everyone who has played here regularly regards BG as up there with the greatest gaming experiences of their lives.

When i die and my life flashes before me i think probably Cloakwood Mines and Sshamath Bazaar will crop up in there alongside LSD in the Himalayas and Telepathy on Primrose Hill. :mrgreen:

As long as i still have access to a computer and the internet i will probably come back here and i hope you two do too.
Djaimin Shadowcat - Soft hearted archer of Shevarash
Lyra - Necromancer of the Sshamath School of Necromancy

Zanniej
Admin-in-Training

Unread post by Zanniej » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:54 am

Thanks for the support guys. These are giant shoes to fill, so I don't think I'll ever compare to Elly or Big Mac. I will however give my utmost to come close.

Concerning our vision for the future of the server, I will honestly tell you that there is none yet. We're still very much in training, and still have a way to go, before we can start to actually think about a way forward.

I will tell you now however, that I intend to push this server forward in a way that we can enable people to do what they do, as well as they can. We'll be placed in a team of great minds and awesome people, and my main aim will be to ensure that these people will be able to showcase their awesomeness as good as possible.
"May the forums be ever in your favor."
"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much"
- Oscar Wilde
Now you see me ... now you don't

Ewe

Unread post by Ewe » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:01 am

Zanniej is far too modest! I have found a leaked document containing some of his new vision:
1. Server Hosting will be moved to a new secure host serviced by Chinese spyware company Xiadani. As part of this move, in-game ads will now be presented on the minimap area to offset hosting costs. The minimap can no longer be toggled to hidden. Sustained hosting and server stability are a top priority.

2. Due to the cheaper hosting, we are excited to announce that the module will finally be fractured across servers to allow an expanded bgtscc universe. Introducing our second module that is part of the bgtscc universe: Shou Lung Stories. Inspired by Imperial China, and arguably the most powerful nation in the world, Shou Lung is a country in the continent of Kara-Tur located to the east of Faerun. In order to travel there, you must visit Ulgoth’s Beard and charter a vessel using a new map transition.

3. As part of the player experience improvement plan, upon log-in a new pop-up with a personalized survey link will be presented to the player. This link must be used in an external web browser. The survey powered by Zoho Survey requires you to disable ad block to proceed. The survey will be critical to compiling player feedback and improving the overall player experience. Each survey is designed to be completed in under thirty minutes.

4. For too long the server has been labeled as a Special K server. Rather than continue to try and maintain this, we have decided to go full K. A system of proven PRCs that will not require constant development and rebalancing. Going forward the entire Kaedrin’s Custom Content will be imported in earnest to the bgtscc module. As everyone will be at the same disadvantage equally, there will be no free RCR period offered. We feel this will offer a familiar set of rules to the players and will reduce the “constant churn” that makes players feel uncomfortable and worse yet causes endless debates.

5. The long-awaited crafting system will finally be implemented. Players will be able to craft a full array of magically enchanted weapons and items up to the +4 enhancement level. As part of server balance, the spell Mordenkainen's Disjunction will be re-worked to be closer to it’s 3.5e variant. While the full spell changes are still under consideration, as an example: Mordenkainen’s Disjunction will now be able to have a chance to destroy the enchantments on all crafted items when cast upon the target. This includes all sources that cast the spell, both monsters and players.

6. DM transparency and player engagement in plots is important, regardless of the play level of the player. However, we acknowledge the frustration of using the forum PM system in order to request plots and receive timely feedback. As a step forward to correct this, we have partnered with Wufoo Forms and Publications Systems. Due to the savings cost on hosting we will be able to pay for quality forms and forms hosting databases to ensure the smoothest possible DM plot application process. As part of this new system you will receive a ticket number sent to your e-mail on file once you have completed the form.

7. In order to improve DM communication and teamwork we have decided to elect seven of the DMs to sit on a council, thus replacing the single Head DM spot. They will be referred to as The Seven, and there will be an in-game area with seven seats one for each on the council. For obvious reasons, no normal player will be able to get to this area. It is meant for important DM meetings. The Admins will oversee The Seven and their activities.

Arn

Unread post by Arn » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:55 am

Glad you guys get to sit back and relax away from the server now! Thanks for holding things together when it was needed, and then improving on everything. Enjoy your retirement!

And good picks for the next server admins. Miasmata and Zanniej have both been courteous and professional in their current roles. Bless their hearts for agreeing to take on this responsibility.
Mi-Le (弥勒) - "Meditate, monks. Do not be negligent, lest you regret it later." ((-Saṃyutta Nikāya 35.145))
-Monk of the Old Order and the Way. Will not kill.
-[IC Journal]
-[Bio]

Ghātikā

Crafters: Wands, alchemy, scrolls
Wendi - Haggling wizard. [Bio]
Meredith Olma - Druid
Jehane - Cleric
Monad - Ranger

Ewe

Unread post by Ewe » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:20 am

I just came across even more leaked documents about the new admin's plans. Read for yourself:
8. Look, we all realize none of us are getting any younger. Due to the age of the game, we’ve decided the player base is finally old enough to maturely handle lifting the pg13 rule. To this end we can finally unlock Valefort’s mechanical slavery system which includes magical slave collars, electric shock devices, a completely new system of subdual damage, and many other RP opportunities.

9. Introducing a new, fresh system: MPCs. Also known as Monster Player Characters. As an MPC, your job will be to cause Tension RP (TRP). In other words, to act as a monster rival for other players. All MCPs have only a single life and are perma’d upon death. Should you somehow actually survive for 6 real life months, the system will automatically perma you. We feel that is only a small downside to being able to PK other players without consent. Good luck.

10. Fresh admins deserve a fresh server. Introducing the first ever bgtscc vault wipe. Sure, everyone will complain at first, and yes, it’s a wildly unpopular idea. But we believe hardcore players will simply just be like “meh” and reroll their same exact PC and start RP’ing away as if nothing had happened. So, it’ll probably be OK. If it works out, we’ll probably vault wipe annually.

11. To get ahead of the constant drama and messages we would receive from IC and OOC drama involving the summoning of undead in Duchal lands, we’ve decided to add clothing and skin to all summoned undead models. This way, if someone did accuse you of using undead while grinding, they’d at least feel a little stupid about it.

12. Introducing the choose your alignment system. Alignment shouldn’t be black and white, there’s a lot of gray moral choices out there. Now, while RP’ing, you’ll be able to select from a new radial menu whether your RP line is intended to be one of either renegade or paragon. The system will adjust your alignment as necessary using a formula that is based on the spell Teleport. We don’t want players to know the exact formula, so we are throwing in a few extra d4s and not telling anyone what the formula does. It should be discovered ICly.

13. Due to the massive popularity of the TKL Performer Tool for bards we’ve finally decided to release Chamb’s secret project: BGTSCC Dance Studio. A full new GUI that allows you to choreograph complete routines for your PC. Note that as part of this we are splitting up the skill Perform into four new skills: Perform (song), Perform (jig), Perform (waltz), and Perform (ballet). Also, we are adding a new prerequisite to the Shadow Dancer class to require 5 points in Perform (jig), because we feel it’s about time Shadow Dancers required dance skills.

14. We’ve had a hard look at the RPXP algorithm, and decided it was lacking in some ways. In particular, it does not reward bonus RP for Drow players using terms such as xas, and vendui. We’ve augmented the algorithm to properly reward Drow players bonus RPXP for interjecting Drow words into their English prose from the approved Drow Dictionary which will be posted at a later time.

15. Tieflings are extremely popular. Especially with the option to have a tail simply by entering the word tail into your bio. We’ve seen an uptick in bio creation as a direct result of this. To encourage further bio writing we are going to try out a new feature specifically for Drow PCs. If their bio contains the word “lithe” their model girth will be decreased by ten percent. In addition, they will have a new command called “saunter” which adds delicate pitter patter sounds to their character’s walking. If they included the word “drowess” a new diaphanous gown model will be presented which shows more skin than other, current options.

Agog_Fr
Quality Control

Unread post by Agog_Fr » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:37 am

You are funny and very creative man. I love the MPC concept ! :dance:
Play Angbaal the Necromancer.
Video presentation of my Guild : Link.

gedweyignasia

Unread post by gedweyignasia » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:08 pm

Huge thank you to Endelyon for standing by us no matter how tiring and frustrating the job became, and for devoting so much time and energy to this project and this community! *glomp*
Janet Deckert - "Don't be coy."
Aya Dreys - *ignores <character>*
(bios for all of my characters here)

gedweyignasia

Unread post by gedweyignasia » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:09 pm

Agog_Fr wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:37 am
You are funny and very creative man. I love the MPC concept ! :dance:
Right? What if they added Vampires as a human subrace. That'd be pretty crazy... (o)
Janet Deckert - "Don't be coy."
Aya Dreys - *ignores <character>*
(bios for all of my characters here)

Zanniej
Admin-in-Training

Unread post by Zanniej » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:20 am

Man, I gotta speak with our new Chinese colleagues... I mean, security officer... I mean .... Someone has got to keep these documents secure!

I'm glad you didn't find the part where I explained that we will start closing the server for holidays :roll: (you know, because staff needs a holiday too!)
"May the forums be ever in your favor."
"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much"
- Oscar Wilde
Now you see me ... now you don't

Steve
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Steve » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:45 am

We all should appreciate and deeply thank Maecius and Endelyon for literally saving the Server from disappearing. I was around, I know how things were going. And they stepped in when necessary, and thus...here we are today!

And that includes Big Mac and Endelyon's last few years of management and work towards keeping this Persistent World actually living. Of course, there were others involved who have come and gone, which simply proves that this Server is a group effort, but quality leadership is required.

That said...how do I say this correctly to Miasmata and Z-man, other than: SUCKERS!!! :twisted: ;) 0:)

But seriously, you do us all a favor by stepping into the Admin roles, because it will require from you the responsibility of satisfying (!!) the gaming needs of a bunch of needy needers, who just can't seem to get a RL and put down the sword and spell book. That includes me! (my list of needs is forthcoming, btw. :shifty: ) I hope you can find the reward in taking up these new roles.

Surely, many members of this community would appreciate to react and respond to a Vision that affects their playground here. In all fairness, first keep the ship afloat, then when the time is right, do chart us a course. Any crew appreciates a clear and open minded captain(s).

Best of luck!

And I do hope that with retirement, Mac and Endelyon can manage to engage more on the RP gaming side of BGTSCC, which...is the reason you first came to game, no? :dance:
Storybuilding

|> Henryk UrdeSword of Justice, the New Church of Tyr
|> Simsae OrcslayerStonesinger of the Telormar Gultor & citizen of the Kingdom of Kraak Helzak
|> Monserrate — Circle of Rust and the Worm

K'yon Oblodra
Recognized Donor

Unread post by K'yon Oblodra » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:45 am

Well said Steve,

I gotta say I have not been playing on this server as much as I ptosis should have because there were times in my life where I just didn't feel I had the time needed to be playing as engaged as I really want to play here.

But what I can say is that I was around in 2009 when the server was still relatively new and its just mind blowingly amazing what the team has created since then I've the lead of Maecius and Endelyon.

I still remember when the addition of the Friendly Arm Inn was in the talk and what a relevation it was when it was implemented and look at what we have now!

I also love that we have the UD, I know not everyone thinks its worthwhile because few play there but I've really enjoyed RPing down there but yea that has little to do with the topic so I'll stop here... It is just another thing amongst the many, great additions that have been made over time.

So yea thanks so much for everything you've done to keep this vivid world alive and evolving.

Cheers K'yon
K'yon Oblodra
Apprentice of the school of Necromancy
Silent seat for the school of Necromancy

Skalden

Unread post by Skalden » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:25 pm

Thank you for everything, part of my Life is out here and i still find it fun after some years :)