Non-Drow and the Schools of Magic of Sshamath

For Issues, Ideas, or Subjects That Do Not Fit Elsewhere

Moderators: Moderator, DM

K'yon Oblodra
Recognized Donor

Non-Drow and the Schools of Magic of Sshamath

Unread post by K'yon Oblodra » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:29 pm

Recently I was approached by multiple characters asking about the School of Necromancy.

I wonder if they would by any chance be allowed to learn at the schools?

I mean my character would despise of it but it could make for interesting RP. I guess if at all possible they would be limited in rank and rediculed by all....

I'd love to know from the more lore experienced ;).

Didn't know where to put this XD.
K'yon Oblodra
Associate Necromancer of the school of Necromancy
Silent seat for the school of Necromancy

Hoihe

Re: Non-Drow and the Schools of Magic of Sshamath

Unread post by Hoihe » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:00 pm

In Ssamath, if my lore is correct, anyone who can cast wizard magic has the potential to become a citizen. A citizen of higher social status than a priestess of lolth.

As such, i believe non-drow wizards are permitted.
"The desire to build a house is the tired wish of a man content with a single anchorage. The desire to build a boat is the desire of youth, unwilling yet to accept the idea of a final resting place."
"The wind and the waves are always on the side of the ablest navigator."

Balthomer

Unread post by Balthomer » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:22 pm

Hoihe wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:00 pm
In Ssamath, if my lore is correct, anyone who can cast wizard magic has the potential to become a citizen. A citizen of higher social status than a priestess of lolth.

That is wrong, even priestess of Lolth can become citizens and this is a different thing

Hoihe

Unread post by Hoihe » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:26 pm

Balthomer wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:22 pm
Hoihe wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:00 pm

That is wrong, even priestess of Lolth can become citizens and this is a different thing
Can become citizens yes. Respected?

They're praying to someone to give them power rather than muster it on their own. Meanwhile that random supposed-to-be-slave goblin can call forth magic through discipline and intelligence and can make magic items.

It was only since a few years the clergy even get to say a single word about how the city is led, and that's only 1 seat vs a bunch of wizards/merchants.
"The desire to build a house is the tired wish of a man content with a single anchorage. The desire to build a boat is the desire of youth, unwilling yet to accept the idea of a final resting place."
"The wind and the waves are always on the side of the ablest navigator."

DM Soulcatcher
Soulpedia, Campaign Coordinator

Unread post by DM Soulcatcher » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:28 pm

Only a full-blooded drow can become a full fledged citizen. Other races (that aren't goblinoids or otherwise listed in lore of the lands) that happen to be wizards/sorcerers/bard are allowed freely in the city, but they can never become citizen.

If I recall correctly, Drizzt's Guide to Underdark have said that non-drow, despite Sshamath being seemingly more open that other drow cities, are still not trusted much at all and the city's inhabitants are, still, thoroughly evil in their practices, actions and way of governing.
~All Their Days are Numbered~
~Campaign Coordinator for 1353DR, 1354DR and 1355DR Metaplot~

K'yon Oblodra
Recognized Donor

Unread post by K'yon Oblodra » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:30 pm

Just on the goblin thing, them being able to cast spells is considered an exception. They would not get credit for it from what I understood.

How the lothians stand I honestly haven't gotten a good grasp on yet.
K'yon Oblodra

Balthomer

Unread post by Balthomer » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:34 pm

K'yon Oblodra wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:30 pm
Just on the goblin thing, them being able to cast spells is considered an exception. They would not get credit for it from what I understood.

How the lothians stand I honestly haven't gotten a good grasp on yet.
A popular dish in Gloura's Wings is fried spider legs, maybe this tells you a bit.

K'yon Oblodra
Recognized Donor

Unread post by K'yon Oblodra » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:55 pm

Mmh from the book of drizzt, thanks btw for the hint, I would guess the Schools are only for drow. It is however nowhere mentioned.

It says citizenship is only for drow, which makes me lean towards it being only drow, it does however mention that wizards of other races are allowed to stay for extended periods... Really nothing is really a, prove for our against it yet.
K'yon Oblodra

Korchas

Unread post by Korchas » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:53 pm

I readily figure that for the most part, actual citizenship -could- be given to exceptionally drow-y non-drow. But otherwise, it's more a license to exist without being hated openly?
And the schools, being essentially also the political system, won't be open to anything that may decide differently from a Drow. So not gonna be a member of the School of Necromancy anytime soon in a way that matters. :D At the very most at the lowest level, and then only with a lot of strongarming/blackmail.
Elianna Fahrandir - Wandering Knight of Torm

Frin - Puckish Halfling Necromancer

Feranthalia De'Natiosen - Criminally Underused Elven Noble

"If in doubt, set on fire!"

K'yon Oblodra
Recognized Donor

Unread post by K'yon Oblodra » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:21 pm

Wasn't really targeting you ;). More really wondering cause it seems lore on the topic is super sparse.
K'yon Oblodra

Balthomer

Unread post by Balthomer » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:01 pm

Seems like dominating religions in Sshamath arre Vhaeraun and Lolth, seems very doubtful any non drow could achieve a meaningful position at all within this society as per vhaeraunite and lolthite dogma.

abowlofgelo

Unread post by abowlofgelo » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:36 am

And what of non-drow being admitted into any of the schools?
Jhaldrym - Drow Archmage
Velkyn Drov'los - Drow Cultist of the Ancient One
Thade Mallory - Street Rat, Sea Urchin, Pirate

CookieTime

Unread post by CookieTime » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:20 pm

abowlofgelo wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:36 am
And what of non-drow being admitted into any of the schools?
Non-drow are allowed into any of the schools. As is written in the Joining the Schools of Magic topic:
Nonetheless, the schools of mages do accept non-citizen inhabitants into their fold. Non-citizens may teach and achieve the rank of Mage, but not Archmage. They never qualify for leadership positions within a School of Magic.
Thia Ruuhralah - Imaskari Wizard: Bio - Journal

Max Hatchet

Unread post by Max Hatchet » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:51 pm

Nonetheless, the schools of mages do accept non-citizen inhabitants into their fold. Non-citizens may teach and achieve the rank of Mage, but not Archmage. They never qualify for leadership positions within a School of Magic.
What this is saying that you must be a citizen BEFORE you can be an Archmage (ie any epic lvl position) - i actually was given the rank of Archmage (Necromancer) before i was given my citizenship - perhaps the wrong way round.

Being a citizen requires a test of absolute loyalty to the city including test by augury. Is there a history of any non drow being given this test and passing it? Not that i have heard?

Out of interest do we have any lore or examples of non drow School Mages in Sshamath? Have players done this much before? Are there any 'surface' elf wizards in any Schools? With the number of elves in Shamath i think this is possible or even likely.
Djaimin Shadowcat - Soft hearted archer of Shevarash
Lyra - Necromancer of the Sshamath School of Necromancy

CookieTime

Unread post by CookieTime » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:09 pm

The important part of that is the bit saying that non-citizens, (a.k.a the non-drow free races), can enter the Schools. Off topic, I highly doubt a non-citizen in this sense will ever become a full citizen.
Thia Ruuhralah - Imaskari Wizard: Bio - Journal