make short quarterstaff monk weapon

Suggestions or Mechanical Requests for Classes, Feats, Races, Etc.

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Associate Dev, Developer, DM

Balthomer

make short quarterstaff monk weapon

Unread post by Balthomer » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:53 pm

just noticed short quarter staves do not count as monk weaponns for flurry, would it be possible to get them added?

Steve
Recognized Donor

Re: make short quarterstaff monk weapon

Unread post by Steve » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:35 am

As what was stated in the past, Flurry is hard coded in the Engine, and it can't be changed/edited. Short staffs maybe can be added to Intuitive Strike, however.

However, I may be wrong about this because of how lately Endelyon was able to make Drunken Master Flurry with other items equipped?!? I can't remember exactly if it was that, or some aspect to Thief Acrobat that led me to ask them about adding Daggers to Flurry (to replace the missing Sai weapon). Well, Enedelyin never answers me, so the jury is still out....
Storybuilding

|> Jon SmythePath of the Mindful Blade & Seafarer
|> Simsae OrcslayerStonesinger of the Telormar Gultor & citizen of the Kingdom of Kraak Helzak
|> Monserrate — Circle of Rust and the Worm
|> Henryk UrdeSword of Justice, the New Church of Tyr

Theodore01
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Theodore01 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:50 am

Yeah, dual flurrying shortstaffs instead of kamas would be nice ;)

But short staffs and magic staffs have other issues also, as there is no weapons focus+spez. for them.

Endelyon
Retired Admin

Unread post by Endelyon » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:25 am

Steve wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:35 am
As what was stated in the past, Flurry is hard coded in the Engine, and it can't be changed/edited. Short staffs maybe can be added to Intuitive Strike, however.

However, I may be wrong about this because of how lately Endelyon was able to make Drunken Master Flurry with other items equipped?!? I can't remember exactly if it was that, or some aspect to Thief Acrobat that led me to ask them about adding Daggers to Flurry (to replace the missing Sai weapon). Well, Enedelyin never answers me, so the jury is still out....
This is correct except in recent times we did figure out a neat trick that let us make a sort of pseudo-flurry for basically any weapon on any class (that's what we had to do for Drunken Master, Nimne even programmed the extra bugged attacked into the pseudo-flurry weapons so it would be fair compared to the real version). And credit where credit is due, Nimne did 100% of the code work on this and made it all work perfectly, I just pointed out to them that the function existed, so it's more fair to say that Nimne was able to get this to work. :)

So yeah, while it's impossible to make it qualify for the regular flurry combat mode, we could still have a "way" for monks to gain those extra attacks through a second feat they clicked on. It seems like a fair enough suggestion in that light. When the original information was stated, I simply didn't know it was possible! I actually first saw the script function being used late last year in another server's codebase... :oops:

Honestly it would be kinda cool in general now if we expanded monk weapons to include more things like nunchaku and sais, I've seen a bunch of these on NWN1 servers.

Steve
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Steve » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:26 am

WE LOVE NEAT TRICKS!!! :dance:

Yes, a monk being able to Flurry daggers, in place of sais, or just add sais to the Weapon List—if possible??—would be so very cool. And ShortStaffs too!

Props to Nimne for coding this. Total magician.
Storybuilding

|> Jon SmythePath of the Mindful Blade & Seafarer
|> Simsae OrcslayerStonesinger of the Telormar Gultor & citizen of the Kingdom of Kraak Helzak
|> Monserrate — Circle of Rust and the Worm
|> Henryk UrdeSword of Justice, the New Church of Tyr