Making tradeway areas more logical/RP friendly.

Suggestions for Improving Existing Area Maps or for Altering Area Maps to Reflect In-Game Plots

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Associate Dev, Developer, DM

Snarfy

Making tradeway areas more logical/RP friendly.

Unread post by Snarfy » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:38 pm

As per this thread, here's some ideas as to how to, hopefully, bring a little more consistency and RP-traffic to the tradeways.

As far as well thought out areas with roads go, these two areas stand out for me:

South of Beregost:

... and Uldoons Trail:

Monster traffic is manageable, and the spawn placements make sense on both of these maps. Whether it's to simply travel down the roads and have a conversation, or wander off the beaten path and fight some monsters, these two areas are by far the best. They each have a random encounter(at least I think Uldoons does), although the frequency that they trigger tends to be rather scarce(I suspect it's level dependent). They both also have a prime location for characters to either rest, or gather and engage in campfire RP. Coincidentally enough, these two maps also see a decent amount of player activity. They really should be the model for every other tradeway map, as far as I'm concerned. Alas...

Moving North, to the Tradeway North of Beregost, it gets a bit messier. Goblins are, quite literally, spawning from every which direction. The tigers aren't so bad in that regard, although for the life of me, I don't even know why tigers would be on this road. It's not like this is Chult or something(ever seen a tiger in original BG? Nope, me either). Here's my proposal:
- Goblins should spawn, respectively, at the top of the mine, and near the entrance. Not everywhere.
- Have a few Mephits spawn outside the Chapel. That place is underused as heck.
- Sprinkle a few giants/ogres at the base of the western hill, maybe insert a small lair, to reconcile with their presence on Lions Way.
- Fine tune both random encounters so they actually trigger more frequently, but maybe tone them down a notch in difficulty.

Next up... my least favorite map on the server in terms of monster spawns. This used to be a favorite of mine, and I've a few hilarious memories of RP encounters on this road, but now is just a constant stream of fighting off beetles, giants, and ogres. As so aptly described in the other thread, this map is just jarring. Where are these hundreds of beetles coming from? Same goes for the giants and ogres... there isn't a lair in sight. From an RP standpoint, the CK guards patrol this road non-stop, and yet it's swimming in monsters. The gnoll placement near the cave is pretty much the only thing on this map that makes any sense, the rest is an outright mess. My idea:
- Beetles should spawn around the unused mine(put 'em inside too), and near the unused cave on the beach, maybe sprinkle a few at the top of the hill. Anywhere else is excessive, and makes zero sense.
- Giant/Ogres... let a few roam in the fields south of the junction, or spawn in a random encounter. Again, anywhere else makes no sense.
- Have a Troll wander out from that cave from time to time, just because.
- Enjoy being able to rest at the outdoor shrine again, because now it wont be within sight of all of the friggin' above.
- Characters will be able to walk, and RP, on the roads again. Hooray!

Tradeway South of Baldurs Gate. This area isn't so bad, but, once again, the monster locations, as well as the inclusion of goblins are a head-scratcher. After all these years, those bandits haven't figured out that roaming around the road is a guaranteed way to get killed by adventurers? Also, those bears aren't into eating the kobolds or bandits? C'mon.
- Bears spawn near caves.
- Wolves spawn on west of road.
- Bandits spawn near their camp.
- Kobolds spawn near ruins.
- Goblins take a hike.
- Insert 1 random encounter. Voila.

East of Wyrms crossing needs a bit more love than one might think. I came up with...
- Move snakes, spiders, wolves a bit off the road.
- Bandits should have their own camp, rather than running around with wolves, spiders, and snakes... all while wearing shirts and wielding sticks.
- Oh look, a dungeon! Put some goblins outside it, they need some fresh air. Add a random encounter while we're at it.

Thundars Ride is also a bit of a clusterfudge. Too many monsters everywhere. No logic. Do bugbears and goblin riders always get along so well? I may be lore challenged, but I have my doubts. A few patches of road where one can type an entire sentence is much needed.
- Lions(?... are stupid, but not as stupid as tigers), and wolves out in the bushes.
- Bugbears get their own territories, a lair might help too.
- Vampire bats... are annoying to target. I'm biased, clearly. Stick them near the cave from whence they fluttered out of, please.
- Goblin Riders can be made a bit tougher maybe, and encroaching from the east, rather than all over the place.
- Random encounter at the bridge for sure, maybe 1 other for kicks.
- Put something cool at those ruins near NE corner, maybe?

As you can see, I'm not all for removing monsters for no reason, I would just prefer a little more common sense to apply, and for things to be a little more immersion friendly. Would I like the spawn rates to be halved? Sure... but I don't think it would be necessary if creatures just spawned in locations more appropriate. As it stands, I'm not sure the current implementations of these maps serve to benefit anyone(except grinders). With a few minor tweaks, they could be made much more friendly towards players from all walks, and maybe even help facilitate role-play/adventuring/exploring in all of the above areas. Maybe more importantly, it might bring a bit more life(from newer players/characters) to the various towns and cities, rather than pigeon-holing players into a singular pattern when starting out, IE: Grind Graveyard, grind kobold ruins, grind gibberling caves, OH WOW FAI... grind cloakwood, grind gnoll caves... and so forth.

In any case, I'm tired of typing. So, yeah. Lets make roads and towns a little more accessible to everyone, and without having to moshpit through everything. Goodness knows this server could use a lot more role-play lately(IMHO), and we shouldn't be required to grind our way around everywhere just to find it.

Think of the poor beetles, and the lovers of beetles, who are forced to squish them under foot non-stop. :? :dance:

Thoughts?

Steve
Recognized Donor

Re: Making tradeway areas more logical/RP friendly.

Unread post by Steve » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:55 pm

Ha! The Snarferator gets an A+ for his "What I did during my Christmas Vacation" essay. :twisted: 0:)

Got one question for you Snarf ol' Boy: Why is the Sword Coast supposedly named the Sword Coast?!?
Storybuilding

|> Jon SmythePath of the Mindful Blade & Seafarer
|> Simsae OrcslayerStonesinger of the Telormar Gultor & citizen of the Kingdom of Kraak Helzak
|> Monserrate — Circle of Rust and the Worm

Snarfy

Unread post by Snarfy » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:03 pm

Steve wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:55 pm
Ha! The Snarferator gets an A+ for his "What I did during my Christmas Vacation" essay. :twisted: 0:)

Got one question for you Snarf ol' Boy: Why is the Sword Coast supposedly named the Sword Coast?!?
Uhhhhmmm... is this some sort of phallic shaped reference? Because, if it isn't, I have no idea. *goes to find a Sword Coast map*

I got an A+ ... woo! Finally, after 47 years! :dance:

Planehopper
Lead Moderator

Unread post by Planehopper » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:43 pm

I love these ideas. On my phone so I dont want to type a lot, but it all makes sense to me! Nice work.
Roleplay – This is a roleplay server set in the Forgotten Realms campaign world.

Zahven Thruel - Mysterious Mage
Wizzelbert Cranksproket - Lantanese Gnome