Divine Power Suggestion

Suggestions or Mechanical Requests for Classes, Feats, Races, Etc.

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Associate Dev, Developer, DM

Post Reply
ARHicks00
Posts: 416
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:28 am

Divine Power Suggestion

Unread post by ARHicks00 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:14 pm

Could you make Divine Power like a Divine version of Tenser Transformation OR restore it back to it's former glory, but limit the spell to Strength and War Domains. Make it a Domain only spell.

User avatar
chambordini
Custom Content
Posts: 2929
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:54 am
Location: Songfarla

Re: Divine Power Suggestion

Unread post by chambordini » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:04 pm

It's probably a no to any BAB changing temporary effects.

ARHicks00
Posts: 416
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:28 am

Re: Divine Power Suggestion

Unread post by ARHicks00 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:05 pm

chambordini wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:04 pm
It's probably a no to any BAB changing temporary effects.
I don't see the draw back to the changes noted in my post. I mean a cleric has to give up spellcasting in order to fight with high BAB, right? This makes the spell a double-edge sword and it only good in a pinch. Or if you limit the spell to the two suggested domains it prevents the server from being flooded with nothing, but battlepriest.

User avatar
Endelyon
Retired Admin
Posts: 3010
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:24 am

Re: Divine Power Suggestion

Unread post by Endelyon » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:05 am

Tenser's doesn't adjust BAB on BGTSCC, though. It's still a worse version of DP in context.

User avatar
Hoihe
Posts: 4189
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Divine Power Suggestion

Unread post by Hoihe » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:56 am

Tenser's is worse after being cast than not having been cast.

Tenser makes drinking potions impossible. Your potions fail, because "spellfailure".
"The desire to build a house is the tired wish of a man content with a single anchorage. The desire to build a boat is the desire of youth, unwilling yet to accept the idea of a final resting place."
"The wind and the waves are always on the side of the ablest navigator."

ARHicks00
Posts: 416
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:28 am

Re: Divine Power Suggestion

Unread post by ARHicks00 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:27 am

Hoihe wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:56 am
Tenser's is worse after being cast than not having been cast.

Tenser makes drinking potions impossible. Your potions fail, because "spellfailure".
Good trade off.
Endelyon wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:05 am
Tenser's doesn't adjust BAB on BGTSCC, though. It's still a worse version of DP in context.
They nerfed that too. Well damn, BG must really hate spellsword builds.

User avatar
Tsidkenu
Posts: 3876
Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 12:04 am
Location: Terra Nullis

Re: Divine Power Suggestion

Unread post by Tsidkenu » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:51 am

Whilst I no longer have a horse in this race (but cleric remains my favourite class!), I feel if the Dev team really wanted to balance out Divine Power without utterly ruining the spell's essence (ie, becoming a fighting god for a time), the duration should have been set to a static 4 or 5 rounds (extended 8-10 rounds) with all the other effects unchanged from vanilla. This makes it useful in a pinch (eg. boss fight/DM event) when that BAB boost and extra attacks really makes a huge difference, but also makes it impossible to walk around in permanent 'godmode' like a full spellbook Favoured Soul used to be able to.

As per criticisms in the older thread when this change came into play, a single round/level 4th circle cleric spell should not make the full BAB Fighter class completely obsolete from party play. The only other way to balance this criticism is to reduce resting to once per 24 hr IG period (~5 real hours? I forget what the IG->RL conversion ratio is), thus making spell slot preservation for casting classes an utterly essential component of play. I don't see that change ever happening, so it seems to me that a severe reduction in duration is the most fitting alternative.

Yet it is part of the divine package that a cleric can cast a single spell to temporarily give themselves god-like fighting prowess. They sacrifice one or more valuable 4th-5th level spellslots for the privilege. This should not be taken away from them.
Formerly the player of:

Mae yr Machshikhah - Pryat of Helm [Bio] [Retired]
Schezalle - The Black Claws Baeqeshel [Bio] [Retired]
Araphella - Whispers of Oblivion [Bio] [Retired]
Aeili Azenci - Baelnorn of Mystra [Bio] [Deceased]

Off exploring the Electroplasma Universe.

User avatar
Blackman D
Quality Control
Posts: 4279
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:43 am
Location: IL

Re: Divine Power Suggestion

Unread post by Blackman D » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:08 am

1 min = 1 min

the problem before was 1 hr = @5 rl mins i think? so it was getting out lasted by 10 minute duration spells and should be 1 hr = 15 mins now if i remember right

so 24 hrs should be 360 mins / 6 hrs
everyone is evil till proven otherwise

ARHicks00
Posts: 416
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:28 am

Re: Divine Power Suggestion

Unread post by ARHicks00 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:14 am

Tsidkenu wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:51 am
Whilst I no longer have a horse in this race (but cleric remains my favourite class!), I feel if the Dev team really wanted to balance out Divine Power without utterly ruining the spell's essence (ie, becoming a fighting god for a time), the duration should have been set to a static 4 or 5 rounds (extended 8-10 rounds) with all the other effects unchanged from vanilla. This makes it useful in a pinch (eg. boss fight/DM event) when that BAB boost and extra attacks really makes a huge difference, but also makes it impossible to walk around in permanent 'godmode' like a full spellbook Favoured Soul used to be able to.

As per criticisms in the older thread when this change came into play, a single round/level 4th circle cleric spell should not make the full BAB Fighter class completely obsolete from party play. The only other way to balance this criticism is to reduce resting to once per 24 hr IG period (~5 real hours? I forget what the IG->RL conversion ratio is), thus making spell slot preservation for casting classes an utterly essential component of play. I don't see that change ever happening, so it seems to me that a severe reduction in duration is the most fitting alternative.

Yet it is part of the divine package that a cleric can cast a single spell to temporarily give themselves god-like fighting prowess. They sacrifice one or more valuable 4th-5th level spellslots for the privilege. This should not be taken away from them.
I agree with your idea and mine. (I can see either one being used) I just don't like the state it is in now. Ditto with Tenser Transformation, but I want to focus on putting one fire out at a time. The idea behind my change is to make Divine Power a moved used in a pinch. Right now it's horribly near useless.

chad878262
Posts: 8649
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:55 pm

Re: Divine Power Suggestion

Unread post by chad878262 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:09 am

make the duration = WIS Mod (or CHA mod for FvS)... Thus a STR or EDM Cleric would have ~4 or 5 rounds, 8-10 if extended while a WIS based Cleric might have 10-12 rounds, 20-24 if extended. An EDM FvS would probably be 7-8 rounds, 14-16 extended.

Just another option that would reduce duration allowing for (what I assume is the goal) bringing back the original function of the spell to set BAB to Caster Level and granting +6 STR.
Chord Silverstrings - Bard and OSR Squire / Tarent Nefzen - Arcane Wand Merchant and Master Alchemist / Irrace Arkentlar - Drow Adventurer / Finneaus Du'Veil - Gem Merchant and Executive Officer of SCCE

Tarent's Wands and Elixirs

A Wand Crafter's guide to using wands

User avatar
Calodan
Posts: 2046
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:21 pm
Location: Missoula Montana BIG SKY COUNTRY

Re: Divine Power Suggestion

Unread post by Calodan » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:43 am

The divine power fix/nerf did nothing to hinder Clerics or Favored Souls. It only affected low BAB bonus classes with potions and other consumables.

I don't think it needs anymore fixing. It kept bonuses to Clerics and Favored Souls and took away consumables from the classes that the server felt needed that taken away.
Kory Sentinel
"We should take the army head on!"

"... it sounds like a terrible idea, but look at that smile."
"And he just sounds so confident ... he is a favored soul."
"Even if we don't survive, he will, and isn't that what matters?" -Red Lancer

Post Reply