ranger with master crossbow sniper?

For Issues, Ideas, or Subjects That Do Not Fit Elsewhere

Moderators: Moderator, DM

Ahku

ranger with master crossbow sniper?

Unread post by Ahku » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:16 am

Hey all,

i was thinking of trying a pure ranger build with a high dex and master crossbow sniper feat(s).
(focusing on giant and dragon favored enemies)

has anyone tried this before?

can the rangers 'ranged combat style' work with crossbows?

KOPOJIbPAKOB
Custom Content

Re: ranger with master crossbow sniper?

Unread post by KOPOJIbPAKOB » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:30 am

Truthiness's character (Fenix) is the most known Ranger crossbow sniper and it seems to perform really well too. As the player said though, without special belt with crossbow feats (forgot how it's called) this build is a bit subpar compared to just Ranger with bow.
(\/);,;(\/)

Discord: Nastya Raynor#3136

Known as:
Dasha
Gerfrex
Zul (Zulandi Ukwanda)
Alkor Deezelisk
Zee'Aerie

bono_bob

Unread post by bono_bob » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:14 pm

Ahku wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:16 am
Hey all,

i was thinking of trying a pure ranger build with a high dex and master crossbow sniper feat(s).
(focusing on giant and dragon favored enemies)

has anyone tried this before?

can the rangers 'ranged combat style' work with crossbows?
I think you are better off with pure fighter with all the plus damage and ab feats exclusive to a fighter. An epic fighter can also take epic dexterity as bonus feats.

Apparently there is a hardcode issue where you can't exceed 3 attscks per round (so i have heard, not confirmed) that seriously limits pure ab crossbow style. So i feel you might as well do a rogue/asssasin with hips and max sneak damagw to get a crossbow working.

Truthiness

Unread post by Truthiness » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:27 pm

A pure ranger using a crossbow can definitely work. Fenix's initial build was ranger 26/fighter 4 and he performed decently (this was before any epic items were put in). However, KOPO has it right in that without the crossbow belt (Belted Quiver of Supreme Skill), using a crossbow on almost any build is subpar to other options. Without the crossbow belt, you're spending at least two extra feats over another ranged weapon for the same build, and given that the other ranged weapons (especially longbows) scale much better with added damage (through sneak attacks/favored enemy bonuses/fighter feats/etc), it's not a good tradeoff at all. The crossbow belt can make it worth it, though.

Crossbows can get up to 3 attacks normally with both Rapid Reload and Rapid Shot activated. If you are hasted with a crossbow, you get 4 attacks, which is very important. I would not go a sneak attack heavy build on a crossbow, unless you specifically want to see one or two big numbers. The reason for this is that crossbows only get one attack in the first flurry of attacks, two if hasted. So if you're attacking from hips, then you are at most seeing two sneak attacks, and that's only when you're hasted. With a longbow or other ranged weapons, you can get up to 7 attacks, which means 3 attacks in the first flurry (26 BAB + Rapid Shot, or 21 BAB + Rapid Shot + Haste), which makes sneak damage all the more valuable.

Generally, given the way ranged characters have to fight when solo (attacking and then running), having the majority of your damage frontloaded into the first flurry as you would get with other ranged weapons rather than spread out along the entire round (or first two flurries) allows you to have a much more mobile playstyle, making crossbows more suited for group play than solo, as you can actually attack the entire round a lot of times. If you were always playing in a group, a sneak focused crossbow build could even be good, as you can flank to get the sneak dice. I wouldn't recommend going pure fighter as a crossbow build unless you only intend to play in groups, as your survivability won't be that great.

I do think I went off on a tangent. >.> With the crossbow belt AND the new epic crossbows, crossbows are probably on par with longbows (ranger/assassin or other sneak builds are still favored towards longbow, of course), with different situations favoring the different weapons. And a ranger with a crossbow can definitely work, however I would definitely recommend getting the Belted Quiver of Supreme Skill and probably invest into animal companion feats (if you're going pure ranger), as having something else there to soak the hits would allow for you to get off the majority of your damage.
Fenix Wandersoul

Ivan - (Retired)

AlfarinIcebreaker

Unread post by AlfarinIcebreaker » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:26 pm

I would recommend a pure Ranger build, aiming to end at 30 Dexterity +4 bonus from Cat's grace. That would result in +18 damage from Crossbow Sniper, Master. Also, make sure to pick up Blinding Speed and Epic Animal Companion (and Natural Bond, pre-epic).

Ahku

Unread post by Ahku » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:50 pm

I have to ask, what does the 'Belted Quiver of Supreme Skill' do?

I also have to be realistic and assume that i'll never see one of those 'Belted Quiver of Supreme Skill' as this is the first time i've even heard of it...

What feats would you recommend for the Ranger (master crossbow sniper) without the special item?

Feat gathering is a bit confusing with the combat-style feats a ranger gets automatically (ranged)...

Thanks!
Last edited by Ahku on Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Theodore01
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Theodore01 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:35 am

It's a somewhat rare Belt - quiver of supreme skill: dex+3, icrit xbows, rreload

Ahku

Unread post by Ahku » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:01 am

Okay, i think i got it figured out:

Heavy Crossbow Feats:

1st - Weapon Focus - Heavy crossbow
1st - Crossbow Sniper

? - Point Blank Shot
? - Heavy Crossbow Sniper Master
? - Improved Critical - Heavy Crossbow

Automatically gained feats:
At 2nd level, Rapid Shot feat
At 6th level, Manyshot feat
At 11th level, Improved Rapid Shot feat
At 21st level, One Shot feat

Then focus on improved favored enemy feats?...

Truthiness

Unread post by Truthiness » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:11 am

If you're not using the Belted Quiver, then you need Rapid Reload as well. Getting Natural Bond and Extend Spell is also a good idea. You can drop Point Blank Shot if you're too feat starved, as there are easily obtainable bracers with the feat. As for epic feats, I would suggest getting Epic Animal Companion and Bane of Enemies, Blinding Speed as well if you can fit it in. The rest of the epic feats should be just Great Dexterity feats, to get 30~ base dexterity (or 26~ if you can't get that).

If you want just a bit of extra AC, Protective Ward adds 1 ac, 2 if you have 24+ ranger levels, making it extremely efficient for AC with that many ranger levels.
Fenix Wandersoul

Ivan - (Retired)

Steve
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Steve » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:25 am

And why not Ranger 21 / Assassin 9? Still with Crossbow Sniper feat line?
Storybuilding

|> Jon SmythePath of the Mindful Blade & Seafarer
|> Simsae OrcslayerStonesinger of the Telormar Gultor & citizen of the Kingdom of Kraak Helzak
|> Monserrate — Circle of Rust and the Worm

Ahku

Unread post by Ahku » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:17 pm

Does anyone know when the next 'It doesn't Suck to RCR' window is open?

LazyTrain
Lead Builder

Unread post by LazyTrain » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:33 pm

Ahku wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:17 pm
Does anyone know when the next 'It doesn't Suck to RCR' window is open?
As far as anybody knows: never. There's no plans (that I'm aware of) for one, and it's up to admins.
I'm just living my life trying to cause as much chaos in as short a time as possible.

Sink Baldur's Gate.