Misty Forest...

Suggestions for Improving Existing Area Maps or for Altering Area Maps to Reflect In-Game Plots

Moderators: Moderator, Developer, Quality Control, Associate Dev, DM

Snarfy

Misty Forest...

Unread post by Snarfy » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:45 pm

I went off reclusing with my elf just now, because he wanted to go lurk around the big mysterious forest... imagine my surprise when it wasn't there. :? Just so I don't go searching IG for an hour, are the maps in between High Moor south and En Dharasha village... like, "gone" gone? And, if so, ehhh, hrm.

On the one hand, I understand that these maps were huge(and probably heaps of resources) and REALLY under-used. Also, they were a bit of a pain to navigate. On the other hand... I still really liked them, and, IMHO, they were a necessary buffer that made it treacherous to go looking for that super-duper-secret-hidden village of elves(which is also fairly under-used... although I do see a few ED members on occasionally).

Safe to say these maps were removed, yes? Which brings me to my next question: will something else be implemented in their place? As is... well, to just instantly arrive at super-secret-elf-land is really jarring. I'm not digging it, TBH. :|

LazyTrain
Lead Builder

Re: Misty Forest...

Unread post by LazyTrain » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:49 pm

Unfortunately, the decision between removing an infrequently used area that had an over 50mb total memory usage, or continuing to have severe no-memory crashes every few hours was a no-contest easy decision.

Currently we're trying to figure out a more permanent solution to these memory issues which may bring back old maps cut during these issues, but as of right now that map is gone, yes. It was a necessary cut for the betterment of the rest of the server and for DMs who have their setups wiped constantly due to no-memory crashes.
I'm just living my life trying to cause as much chaos in as short a time as possible.

Sink Baldur's Gate.

Snarfy

Unread post by Snarfy » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:56 pm

LazyTrain wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:49 pm
Unfortunately, the decision between removing an infrequently used area that had an over 50mb total memory usage, or continuing to have severe no-memory crashes every few hours was a no-contest easy decision.

Currently we're trying to figure out a more permanent solution to these memory issues which may bring back old maps cut during these issues, but as of right now that map is gone, yes. It was a necessary cut for the betterment of the rest of the server and for DMs who have their setups wiped constantly due to no-memory crashes.
Fair enough. I get it... I still don't like it though :| :lol: Guess I'll just go find another forest for my elf to sulk in! :think: But seriously, there desperately needs to be something between the moors and ED(or at least some way to keep out the riff raff, like me!). Hopefully a more scaled down version can be re-added later.

Lockonnow

Unread post by Lockonnow » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:59 am

we hope their decide to spilt the server in 2 so we can get oure beloveing mysterious forest

Empoweredfan

Unread post by Empoweredfan » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:54 pm

It isn't quite the same without it. I liked that map quite a bit, and know a few other people that also used it.
Nawiel: Stubborn woodpecker from the deep.
- "Responsibility is a curse, importance, an illusion."

Deleniel Vanaer: Wood Elven Sor. . . cook.

If you put your foot in your mouth. . . don't start walking. . .

Snarfy

Unread post by Snarfy » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:41 pm

I dunno if suggestions are welcome, but here's some food for thought... perhaps a scaled down version of the forest, including a shortened path and the Radiant Heart encampment(near the big tree, which is an absolutely gorgeous spot), and a shrinking down of the pool/skull area, can be re-added if(or when?) the Cloakwood is condensed? The middle Cloakwood still has my vote to get chopped, and the minotaur and wytch caves can be shuffled to the western cloakwood.

If the Misty forest could be made the same size as the middle cloakwood(assuming it ever gets the axe[pun intended]), then things would even out as far as resources go. Just an idea.

Hoihe

Unread post by Hoihe » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:07 pm

Snarfy wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:41 pm
I dunno if suggestions are welcome, but here's some food for thought... perhaps a scaled down version of the forest, including a shortened path and the Radiant Heart encampment(near the big tree, which is an absolutely gorgeous spot), and a shrinking down of the pool/skull area, can be re-added if(or when?) the Cloakwood is condensed? The middle Cloakwood still has my vote to get chopped, and the minotaur and wytch caves can be shuffled to the western cloakwood.

If the Misty forest could be made the same size as the middle cloakwood(assuming it ever gets the axe[pun intended]), then things would even out as far as resources go. Just an idea.
If anything, readding the big tree spot would be great. As of present, there are no real outdoors maps away from human civilization that aren't for grinding. Misty forest used the be the last of them.
"The desire to build a house is the tired wish of a man content with a single anchorage. The desire to build a boat is the desire of youth, unwilling yet to accept the idea of a final resting place."
"The wind and the waves are always on the side of the ablest navigator."

LazyTrain
Lead Builder

Unread post by LazyTrain » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:41 pm

Please keep in mind going forward that nothing that is removed to help the memory issues is guaranteed to be gone forever. Suggesting we shrink an area down and re-add it is good, but it's something we obviously consider before pulling a map. The problem was that in that moment, we had an update coming soon and we wanted to fix the issue as quickly as possible. Resizing Misty Forest requires a DEV with the time and will to do it, and considering a lot of folk have bigger things to worry about right now, it's not high on the priority list (even for me).

I like the enthusiasm and passion for these areas and I understand the frustration, but y'all gotta understand that cuts are required if you wanna keep actually playing the game without crashing.
I'm just living my life trying to cause as much chaos in as short a time as possible.

Sink Baldur's Gate.

LISA100595
Custom Content

Unread post by LISA100595 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:15 pm

Snarfy wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:41 pm

@DM's -
** OSR encampment :P I'm not sure how to RP that being gone at this point... But perhaps since the campaign is over we can say the Elders sent the troups back to the Order of the Silver Rose Keep with their thanks?

This would require a DM to post about however since they are NPC's. As for the EDE Sacred Tree... I have no idea, perhaps they have already something IC planned?

** Sending as a PM to the DM Team to see what they have planned or already decided.
Lady Elvina Aira-S'efarro - The Order of the Silver Rose
Salaria - Bounty Hunter half-sister of Darius Brothers
Angelina Northstar - Holy Warrior of Tyr / Knight of the Silver Rose
Matilda Stonehold - Honorable Sheild Dwarf
Loriah Swift - Morninglord of Lathander