Am I the only one who thinks these weights are off?

Have a question to the staff? Post it here.

Moderators: DM Arkanis, Moderator, DM

Kethryn Lordis
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:10 am

Am I the only one who thinks these weights are off?

Unread post by Kethryn Lordis »

Image

According to the Monster Manula v.3.5, page 247 ... A typical adult troll stands 9 feet tall and weighs 500 pounds.

I would think 3 troll hides, in that mindset, would weigh more than 1.5 pounds.

Image

Also from the MM v.3.5, page 283 for the regular wolf entry, there is no specific weight or length listed, however, when you look at page 66 for the Dire Wolf entry, Dire wolves are mottled grey or black, about 9 feet long and weighing some 800 pounds. As dire animals are larger, tougher, meaner versions of ordinary animals ... I'm guessing that 12.5 pounds for 5 regular (non dire) wolf hides is very off.

Also, the troll hide quest is far more difficult than the wolf quest, so shouldn't the higher level folk be more capable of handling heavier items than the lower folk, what with spells and items available to enhance strength?

Just curious.
Cal'onna, aegisess of the Coronal.
EvilutionX
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri May 29, 2009 11:55 am

Re: Am I the only one who thinks these weights are off?

Unread post by EvilutionX »

Shouldn't gold coins have weight too?
*winks*
User avatar
Ambaryerno
Posts: 467
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:32 am

Re: Am I the only one who thinks these weights are off?

Unread post by Ambaryerno »

I'm sure a LOT of weights are off. Actually, I can tell you for a fact that the weights for the longsword, bastard sword, and greatsword are WAY too high.
Julia "la Belle" - Duelist, singer, and shameless flirt. Currently deciding whether she wants to fight you or @$%& you.
Julia's Songbook

Lucia Kayla - If her parents find out she left the Island she'll likely be grounded until she's 500.
Sly-
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun May 16, 2010 9:58 pm

Re: Am I the only one who thinks these weights are off?

Unread post by Sly- »

Don't forget that you can fit in those troll hides and... how bout a halberd, plate mail, and oh... several thousand arrows all in the same backpack :)
Ezekiel Ayer'kil
Enjoy the fight.
Kethryn Lordis
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:10 am

Re: Am I the only one who thinks these weights are off?

Unread post by Kethryn Lordis »

EvilutionX wrote:Shouldn't gold coins have weight too?
*winks*
Don't forget that in 1st Edition, you got 1 XP for every 1GP you found.
TOP THAT!


Now, as a side note, I do believe that only DMs are supposed to respond to these Q&A posts, so unless anyone wants to get yelled at ... I don't reccomend any more.
Cal'onna, aegisess of the Coronal.
Allyn
Posts: 137
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 6:11 pm

Re: Am I the only one who thinks these weights are off?

Unread post by Allyn »

How about that old adage, "It's just a game." Relax and enjoy it, dont sweat the small details. RL is more than enough for such as that.
Calen Lasgallen, druid/ranger

Faelar Laelithar, ranger/sorc/AA/SD

Alak d'Zranthrae, rogue/fighter/sorc/assassin

Return to “Questions for DMs”