1.5 STR Bonus Question

Have a question to the staff? Post it here.

Moderators: DM Arkanis, Moderator, DM

User avatar
Ambaryerno
Posts: 467
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:32 am

1.5 STR Bonus Question

Unread post by Ambaryerno »

I was curious about something regarding the STR bonus for wielding a sword two-handed:

Was it an omission by he original game developers that it didn't apply to the Attack Bonus as well? Yes, I realize it provides an extra damage bonus. However since STR also determines AB by default, wouldn't it follow that you should also gain an Attack Bonus? ESPECIALLY as I can testify from RL experience wielding a weapon 2H also makes it easier to control and improves accuracy over wielding the weapon with 1H.
Julia "la Belle" - Duelist, singer, and shameless flirt. Currently deciding whether she wants to fight you or @$%& you.
Julia's Songbook

Lucia Kayla - If her parents find out she left the Island she'll likely be grounded until she's 500.
Hydrocarbonated
Posts: 1870
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 1:15 pm

Re: 1.5 STR Bonus Question

Unread post by Hydrocarbonated »

It's not an omission, and while I would love an extra 6 AB, it might be... problematic.

It's just a vagary of the system we work with, though I do agree with you about the extra control you get with a proper two-handed blade (not one of the cartoony, anime-style ones). That just doesn't play here, so you have to make the choice about two-handing on the basis of damage alone.

Having said that, Power Attack gives you double, so greatswords are the kings of high damage rolls.
Arivain - A man of guts and bravery, after all.
Ward Williamson - "(expletive) insane."
User avatar
Ambaryerno
Posts: 467
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:32 am

Re: 1.5 STR Bonus Question

Unread post by Ambaryerno »

So I guess it's one of those things that no tweak that can made to apply it?
Julia "la Belle" - Duelist, singer, and shameless flirt. Currently deciding whether she wants to fight you or @$%& you.
Julia's Songbook

Lucia Kayla - If her parents find out she left the Island she'll likely be grounded until she's 500.

Return to “Questions for DMs”