Orcish Tribehome

Asset Information and Discussion for Scripting, Area Design, and More

Moderators: Moderator, Developer, DM

ThatPirateGuy
Posts: 98
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:05 am

Orcish Tribehome

Unread post by ThatPirateGuy »

Okay, so RP has led to the point to where I believe it's appropriate to have a tribehome for the local orcs. There's alot of them, and with Doron Amar, Gullykin, and the Ironfaar clanhold, I think it's about time that we greenskins got our little piece of the coast. In addition, it will finally give Greys the starting area away from the Gate on the surface. I'm willing to put in the work on developing the area, and I've been talking to some others for scripting help, etc. However, I have a few questions.

Who do I need to talk to to discuss actually getting it included and how it needs to be submitted?

What can I do with it? I had a few ideas, I was looking at including an orc-only equivalent to Aello and Maltz (same inventory), possibly a couple quests to equal the Rodent and Scarecrow quests in the farmlands. I had also planned to include an orcish Jorn, so that the wolf quest can be turned in there as well.

Also, Location. I had pictured it being on the cliffs on the coast, just North of the Cloakwood, transitioning somewhere south of the Shrine of Silvanus just south of town.

So, in short, I'm willing to build it (actually, have already started), what has to be done to make it happen?
"Yes.. Err.. Well, feels good to suck it right now." - Gottmoerder
mute83
Posts: 705
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 2:20 pm
Location: in my cave (denmark)

Re: Orcish Tribehome

Unread post by mute83 »

Doron Amar took months of serious RP to get in, and alot of players. and only a clearing has been put in now (unless it has gotten updatet). Im not trying to ruin it for you, just saying how it has gone down with the other places. and Gullykin is part of the lore, of what i recall seeing on a map
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."
ThatPirateGuy
Posts: 98
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:05 am

Re: Orcish Tribehome

Unread post by ThatPirateGuy »

I'm fine with it taking time and RP. That's to be expected, and I have absolutely no problems with it, and to get it built right, and fitting the feel and look of the rest of the area, it's probably going to take me, and anyone helping me, quite a bit of work anyways. I'm not saying OMG PUT IT IN NAO, I just wanna know what I've got to do to get there.. :P

That said, how would I make sure that RP put into it IC would be recognized by DM's? (especially since the best RP with orcs usually happens far away from anyone else)
"Yes.. Err.. Well, feels good to suck it right now." - Gottmoerder
DM Sword
Posts: 661
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:56 pm

Re: Orcish Tribehome

Unread post by DM Sword »

ThatPirateGuy wrote: I'm willing to put in the work on developing the area, and I've been talking to some others for scripting help, etc.

Thats good, you will likely spend anywhere from 6-60 hours working on the map, they are labor intensive and details take alot of time from what I hear.

ThatPirateGuy wrote: Who do I need to talk to to discuss actually getting it included and how it needs to be submitted?
You should probably PM Luna about it, I advise trying to fnid a DM or two to help with RPing the establishment of the village.

ThatPirateGuy wrote: What can I do with it? I had a few ideas, I was looking at including an orc-only equivalent to Aello and Maltz (same inventory), possibly a couple quests to equal the Rodent and Scarecrow quests in the farmlands. I had also planned to include an orcish Jorn, so that the wolf quest can be turned in there as well.
No guilds have an NPC merchant, so I doubt this will happen. Also the quests are probably unlikely as well since no other guild has any NPC quests. Perhaps you will be the first.

ThatPirateGuy wrote: Also, Location. I had pictured it being on the cliffs on the coast, just North of the Cloakwood, transitioning somewhere south of the Shrine of Silvanus just south of town.
Sounds safe for new members to reach, however it is still really close to Baldurs Gate, I would think the orcs would set up in a less traveled area.

ThatPirateGuy wrote:That said, how would I make sure that RP put into it IC would be recognized by DM's? (especially since the best RP with orcs usually happens far away from anyone else)
You can take screenshots of your RP and save it or send it to a DM, they can then react accordingly and might make time to help your fledgling guild.

Oh, and... good luck.
ThatPirateGuy
Posts: 98
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:05 am

Re: Orcish Tribehome

Unread post by ThatPirateGuy »

Thanks, more or less exactly what I was hoping for!

My thought on the merchants was that there's been talk of having the Greys have their own starting area, and I'd thought of having the tribehome be used for that, if that isn't viable, then there's no point behind the merchants and quests, so they're easily enough dropped, and the location can be changed.

Honestly, I'd have liked a more mountainous area, but there's none that are readily accessible to characters before the mid-teens, and I'd like to be able for it to be seen and used by lower level characters.
"Yes.. Err.. Well, feels good to suck it right now." - Gottmoerder
DM Sword
Posts: 661
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:56 pm

Re: Orcish Tribehome

Unread post by DM Sword »

Some areas that come to mind that might work:

The wood of sharp teeth (or cloakwood forest).
The road between Nashkel and Beregost.
The trade way (goblins).
Somewhere near highhedge (this area is rarely used)

I hope that if you get this going that you will accept all evil-types, half-orcs, etc, to come into your area. There is already a discussion going on about getting a hideout for evil types and halforcs.
ThatPirateGuy
Posts: 98
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:05 am

Re: Orcish Tribehome

Unread post by ThatPirateGuy »

I don't know about all evil-types, Grah'Thok's a half-orc himself though, so they're obviously gonna be more than welcome, assuming they're sufficiently orcish.. :P General consensus among the tribe seems to be neutral, mostly. Due to the dwarf and elf population, many orcs are getting rather xenophobic fast though, and pinkskins would probably have to be trusted by several orcs to be welcome.

Sharptooth seems like it would be out due to proximity to another tribe. Cloakwood would be a possibility, but that's pretty much right where I was thinking to put it anyways, just a different place to transition from. Goblins tradeway was looking to be my second option, and if it's not going to be used as a starting point, may be where I end up developing the area for instead. I've honestly never been to High Hedge, I remember trying to go there once, and getting horribly violated by poisonous scorpions, and never had a reason to go back. Beregost/Nashkel road has the Xvart village to the one side, and wyverns to the other, I'm not sure on that one.
"Yes.. Err.. Well, feels good to suck it right now." - Gottmoerder
Eviloth
Posts: 353
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:57 pm
Location: Michigan, United States

Re: Orcish Tribehome

Unread post by Eviloth »

If this is your first attempt at building an area EVER, aspect to run into alot of road blocks. Don't be too afraid to PM some people, but try and avoid it as they are busy as hell working on their areas.

Try and be as resourceful and aggressive at finding your answers via Google or tutorials or even Youtube videos.

Yes, it will take you many hours. Something even as small as a exterior with a few tents and stuff will be a project. Good luck!
"Seriously, the Maw?"Cazna Sshamath
"Dhaerrow, I will kill you then I am going to kill that little witch Yathrin you are leashed too.Le'alvath Greenbow
Randall
Posts: 363
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 1:19 pm
Location: Maniwaki

Re: Orcish Tribehome

Unread post by Randall »

I'd like to see that happens. I love to RP with you, green ones :)
DM Passiflora - Hmm?
Randall Armstrong - Dead.
mute83
Posts: 705
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 2:20 pm
Location: in my cave (denmark)

Re: Orcish Tribehome

Unread post by mute83 »

there is a link to a tutorial on the board, around this section. It is very helpfull
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."
ThatPirateGuy
Posts: 98
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:05 am

Re: Orcish Tribehome

Unread post by ThatPirateGuy »

Yeah, I'd already found quite a few by the time I decided to try and get this greenlighted. Appreciate the well-wishing and votes of confidence!
"Yes.. Err.. Well, feels good to suck it right now." - Gottmoerder
Ivan38Rus
Retired Staff
Posts: 1417
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:44 pm

Re: Orcish Tribehome

Unread post by Ivan38Rus »

Will be happy to help with scripting (used to host a server for NWN1, all content was done by me)
Eviloth
Posts: 353
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:57 pm
Location: Michigan, United States

Re: Orcish Tribehome

Unread post by Eviloth »

I would love to see this get off the ground. I have fun with my half - orc interacting with you guys.
"Seriously, the Maw?"Cazna Sshamath
"Dhaerrow, I will kill you then I am going to kill that little witch Yathrin you are leashed too.Le'alvath Greenbow
ThatPirateGuy
Posts: 98
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:05 am

Re: Orcish Tribehome

Unread post by ThatPirateGuy »

I've got the builder's kit, and I'm doing some work on a demo to turn into Luna. Evidently there's alot on the dev team's plate at the moment, and so it may take a while for this to fly, but I AM doing the building for it eventually. The size and scope isn't a sure thing, at the moment, but I'm willing to take all the help I can get. If you wanna toss your name in the hat, feel free, and I'll let you know when I've got something solid to go ahead with.
"Yes.. Err.. Well, feels good to suck it right now." - Gottmoerder
Bladecutter
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:22 pm
Location: Orlando, FL

Re: Orcish Tribehome

Unread post by Bladecutter »

Already offered up my help with interiors/exteriors. I'd be able to to improv scripting as well with liberal use of Google.
- Bodi Brownackle, Aleira, Rhamea, Tynessa, Geroth'mar

Return to “NWN2 Toolset Development”