Natural Bond and Ranger

Have a question to the staff? Post it here.

Moderators: DM Arkanis, Moderator, DM

User avatar
Ambaryerno
Posts: 467
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:32 am

Natural Bond and Ranger

Unread post by Ambaryerno »

My last level up, Natural Bond was available as a feat for my Ranger. Since the Ranger's animal companion is 3 levels behind the Druid, would this have the same effect on the Animal Companion that Practiced Spellcaster does on the Ranger's Caster Level?
Julia "la Belle" - Duelist, singer, and shameless flirt. Currently deciding whether she wants to fight you or @$%& you.
Julia's Songbook

Lucia Kayla - If her parents find out she left the Island she'll likely be grounded until she's 500.
Luna
Retired Admin
Posts: 7945
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Natural Bond and Ranger

Unread post by Luna »

I'm not sure myself. I approved the post so hopefully someone who knows can reply.
Hydrocarbonated
Posts: 1870
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 1:15 pm

Re: Natural Bond and Ranger

Unread post by Hydrocarbonated »

It's supposed to, but I have to admit I've never tried it.

If you're thinking about taking it next level, let me know and we'll do it on a trial basis. If it doesn't perform as expected, I'll let you retake the last level.
Arivain - A man of guts and bravery, after all.
Ward Williamson - "(expletive) insane."
Kaedrin
Recognized Donor
Posts: 248
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 2:10 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Natural Bond and Ranger

Unread post by Kaedrin »

Yes.

A Ranger (in NWN2) has an 'effective druid level' of Ranger Level - 3. So Animal Companion lets them have the same companion an equal level druid would have. This is also the only way for a 100% pure Ranger to get the highest HD companion (with the epic feat).
User avatar
Ambaryerno
Posts: 467
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:32 am

Re: Natural Bond and Ranger

Unread post by Ambaryerno »

Hydrocarbonated wrote:It's supposed to, but I have to admit I've never tried it.

If you're thinking about taking it next level, let me know and we'll do it on a trial basis. If it doesn't perform as expected, I'll let you retake the last level.
I'm only just about to hit L10 so no feats for a couple levels yet, and it's not the highest on my priority list for this build, but whenever I get to taking it I'll let you know what happens unless it's answered before then.
Julia "la Belle" - Duelist, singer, and shameless flirt. Currently deciding whether she wants to fight you or @$%& you.
Julia's Songbook

Lucia Kayla - If her parents find out she left the Island she'll likely be grounded until she's 500.
Hydrocarbonated
Posts: 1870
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 1:15 pm

Re: Natural Bond and Ranger

Unread post by Hydrocarbonated »

Kaedrin has the right of it, so unless something goes horribly wrong, you should get a stronger animal companion. Give me a ring if you don't and we'll fix it, though.
Arivain - A man of guts and bravery, after all.
Ward Williamson - "(expletive) insane."
Kaedrin
Recognized Donor
Posts: 248
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 2:10 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Natural Bond and Ranger

Unread post by Kaedrin »

This table (as best I can make a table here) will show you the progression

Effective Druid level
1st–2nd: 1 HD
3rd–5th: 3 HD (also gains Evasion)
6th–8th: 5 HD
9th–11th: 7 HD (also gains Multiattack)
12th–14th: 9 HD
15th–17th: 11 HD (also gains Improved Evasion)
18th–20th: 13 HD
21st-23rd: 15 HD
24th-26th: 17 HD
27th-29th: 19 HD
30th-32nd: 21 HD
33+ : 23 HD

A Ranger has the equivalent of Druid level - 3.

Epic Animal Companion adds +3 which allows them to get the final 23 HD companion.

Each 'step' up from the 1st level companion adds the following benefits:
+2 HD, +2 natural AC, +1 Str, and +1 Dex.

Multiattack -

For creatures with a BAB of 11 or more: allows them to make their additional attacks at a -2 instead of the traditional -5 for BAB.
Player with 11 BAB = +11 Attack, +6 Attack, and a +1 Attack.
Multiattack with 11 BAB = +11 Attack, +9 Attack, and +7 Attack

For Companions with less than an 11 BAB, they gain an additional attack per round (I assume at the standard -5). I haven't confirmed this personally.

Return to “Questions for DMs”