question about invisibility

Have a question to the staff? Post it here.

Moderators: DM Arkanis, Moderator, DM

Kardrack
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:22 pm

question about invisibility

Unread post by Kardrack »

Not sure if this is the right board to say it in but this is really bugging me. So if I cast invisibility infront of other players, they can still see me because they saw me cast it. But using stealth or Hide in plain sight DOES make you totally invisible even if there are other players around? Again, just trying to understand here because I can't get a decent reason from players. Invisibility is using magic to bend the light spectrum so no living eye can actually see the one made invisible. Stealth is ducking or hiding behind something or just moving in shadows. From how it feels in the game, I should stop ever preparing invis and just put ranks into stealth skills instead. Someone told me it is fair because invis does not allow for spot rolls, but that is kinda the point of the spell and all the counter spells made for invisibility. True sight, invisibility purge, etc... That, and the spell can only be done a few times before you can not use it anymore. Stealth can be as much as you damn well feel like it. Just from the way it seems, ducking and hiding is more effective than bending light to actually make you totally invisible. I mean, even monsters sometimes see me and I use invis to escape a fight I can not win, like if I get swarmed and do not want to die or if I get jumped by someone. That is kinda what the spell is for. Again just trying to understand here why the mundane skill is more powerful than magic. Heck, just earlier a player cast invisibility sphere and I could still see him without even having see invisibility. But a rogue uses stealth and I can not see them at all. Just a balance issue I want to understand.
Luna
Retired Admin
Posts: 7945
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: question about invisibility

Unread post by Luna »

Some of the logic is just hard coded in the game engine.
So it's not trivial changing how this stuff works.

Personally I liked invisibility prior to the last nwn2 patch.
Everyone got a listen check to detect you.
But that is gone now as well.
Kardrack
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:22 pm

Re: question about invisibility

Unread post by Kardrack »

And that is all I needed to know. It's the engine, not something the GMs did. So other players lied to me. Alright, thanks.

Return to “Questions for DMs”