How do you handle PnP abilities that aren't in NWN2?

Have a question to the staff? Post it here.

Moderators: DM Arkanis, Moderator, DM

Aron Times
Recognized Donor
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:42 pm

How do you handle PnP abilities that aren't in NWN2?

Unread post by Aron Times »

Due to the limitations of the NWN2 engine, not all PnP abilities that classes get are implemented in the game. The custom content used by the server helps mitigate this deficiency, but it does not negate it entirely. So, how do you handle this?

I'm interested in the following abilities:

1. Detect Magic spell - A cantrip that lets you detect and identify the presence of magic. Used by adventurers to figure out which items are magical and which are not, as well as to analyze ongoing spell effects. I'm guessing this can be emulated by making a Spellcraft check in the presence of a DM?

2. Utility cantrips and orisons - I'm talking about Prestidigitation, Create Water, Mage Hand, etc. Basically the level 0 spells that are actually worth taking in PnP. Is it safe to assume that spellcasters can cast such cantrips so long as they don't disrupt the game?

3. Enchantment spells - Mind control spells last a while in PnP. Charm Person lasts 1 hour/level, while Charm Person, Dominate Person, and Dominate Monster last 1 day/level. Being a Code Geass fan, the Enchantment school is my favorite in PnP. Can I use such spels as a plot device on the server? I don't plan on using it against PCs, only against NPCs to advance my character's goals.

I have more questions, but these are the most important for me.
  1. Sorcerer 6/Arcane Scholar 9
  2. Fighter 2/Sorcerer 6/Eldritch Knight 7/Arcane Scholar 1
  3. Fighter 13
  4. Warlock 6
Luna
Retired Admin
Posts: 7945
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: How do you handle PnP abilities that aren't in NWN2?

Unread post by Luna »

I unlocked this topic if anyone wishes to chime in.
Aron Times
Recognized Donor
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: How do you handle PnP abilities that aren't in NWN2?

Unread post by Aron Times »

About the Enchantment thing, I plan on using it to recruit people into fighting evildoers without them knowing about it, i.e. an implanted suggest on random civilians to have them gather information and deliver items covertly without them realizing that they're doing it.

It's all part of the Better Crimefighting Through Mind Control[sup]tm[/sup].
  1. Sorcerer 6/Arcane Scholar 9
  2. Fighter 2/Sorcerer 6/Eldritch Knight 7/Arcane Scholar 1
  3. Fighter 13
  4. Warlock 6
User avatar
Zkenic
Retired Staff
Posts: 435
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:24 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: How do you handle PnP abilities that aren't in NWN2?

Unread post by Zkenic »

Usually any action taken by your character that you could do PnP wise, but cant do NwN2 must be checked OOC with all acting parties. That simple rule of thumb helps you avoid conflict about what you can and cant do. On to the specific situations.

1) Detect magic is very useful. If you want to try and use it on a player, see above and send them an OOC request to use it. In a DM event, feel free to send a PM to the DM. If they say its ok (Usually the DM will say its ok) then do what they ask, probably a spellcraft as you suggested, and you will see what happens.

2) Usually its just fine to rp casting those simple cantrips. I doubt anyone will go complain and try to get a DM if you rp summoning clean water to drink. Just dont go too overboard. As long as its just for fluff and fun, I would say go ahead.

3) Perosnally for any DM event, I would definitely say use PnP time for enchantment spells. Some DMs might disagree, but that is probably not going to happen. Most of the dominate spell lengths are for game balance anyway. If you were to use it on a PC, youd have to talk to them OOC and arrange it. Remember that anyone with spellcraft, PC or NPC, that you attempt to charm and fail will probably attack or run away from you if the spell fails.
Khali - "Magic is supreme, in both its wonder and its terror. Cower before your superiors, or suffer."

Dhaot - "Hey, I'm older than he is..."
Aron Times
Recognized Donor
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: How do you handle PnP abilities that aren't in NWN2?

Unread post by Aron Times »

Zkenic wrote:Usually any action taken by your character that you could do PnP wise, but cant do NwN2 must be checked OOC with all acting parties. That simple rule of thumb helps you avoid conflict about what you can and cant do. On to the specific situations.

1) Detect magic is very useful. If you want to try and use it on a player, see above and send them an OOC request to use it. In a DM event, feel free to send a PM to the DM. If they say its ok (Usually the DM will say its ok) then do what they ask, probably a spellcraft as you suggested, and you will see what happens.
There is a feat called Vatic Gaze in Complete Arcane which gives you Detect Magic at-will and the ability to use Sense Motive to sense the highest spell level a spellcaster can cast. Can I use Spellcraft to sense a fellow spellcaster's power level?
2) Usually its just fine to rp casting those simple cantrips. I doubt anyone will go complain and try to get a DM if you rp summoning clean water to drink. Just dont go too overboard. As long as its just for fluff and fun, I would say go ahead.
A DM (I think) playing a character named Jake told me to make an opposed d20 roll against Lanaya's character to see if I can Prestidigitation away her vomit on my bright yellow clothes. I won the roll, so it's not really a problem, but in PnP, Prestidigitation automatically works if used within its limits. Will I need to make an opposed roll in the future?
3) Perosnally for any DM event, I would definitely say use PnP time for enchantment spells. Some DMs might disagree, but that is probably not going to happen. Most of the dominate spell lengths are for game balance anyway. If you were to use it on a PC, youd have to talk to them OOC and arrange it. Remember that anyone with spellcraft, PC or NPC, that you attempt to charm and fail will probably attack or run away from you if the spell fails.
Actually, I don't plan on using it directly against powerful PCs and NPCs. The best mind control targets are low-level characters close to people of power, like servants, cooks, low-ranking guards, and the like, i.e. those who cannot resist but can provide vital intelligence on the powerful PC or NPC.

I'll say it outright; I was thinking of using mind control to establish a spy network whose agents have no clue what they're doing. My lawful good character plans on using this to counter the darker elements hiding within the city, and subconsciously does not value the free will of nonspellcasters as much.
  1. Sorcerer 6/Arcane Scholar 9
  2. Fighter 2/Sorcerer 6/Eldritch Knight 7/Arcane Scholar 1
  3. Fighter 13
  4. Warlock 6
Katzenjammer
Posts: 706
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 9:03 pm

Re: How do you handle PnP abilities that aren't in NWN2?

Unread post by Katzenjammer »

Zkenic makes good points, I agree. Taking from PnP, if it is for enhancement of the game, is perfectly fine under those conditions.
"A man is only as old as the women he feels." -Groucho Marx.

Return to “Questions for DMs”