Elven language. Anyone speaks it at all?

Have a question to the staff? Post it here.

Moderators: DM Arkanis, Moderator, DM

Rainbow Prism
Posts: 400
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:57 am

Elven language. Anyone speaks it at all?

Unread post by Rainbow Prism »

I noticed how many elves around. Just wanted to ask if someone tries to RP using true languages and dialects?

The cause of my question is wish to not be killed on surface when I speak traditional SURFACE elven greeting and get "GAAAH! ACCURSED DROW WORDS! DIE!"

Also, what is politics of the DMs on these languages?
When someone calls you elitist, he automatically admits that your RP is superior to his.
Luna
Retired Admin
Posts: 7945
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Elven language. Anyone speaks it at all?

Unread post by Luna »

* The post has been unlocked for replies *
User avatar
Maecius
Retired Admin
Posts: 11639
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 4:24 pm

Re: Elven language. Anyone speaks it at all?

Unread post by Maecius »

I am going to assume that you are asking whether we have seen players using words from the Forgotten Realms's elven language to fluff up their roleplay, as opposed to using the in-game language commands?

I've seen several people use the in-game language commands to roleplay as someone (usually an elf) who does not speak Common. But if you mean using elven words to spice up normal dialogue, then I can't say that I have personally seen many surface elves do this. A lot of drow players use drow to fluff up their dialogue in this way, however, with mixed feelings from the player base (some love it, some hate it).

If you want to use elven words to make your roleplay feel more elven, the best dictionary that I know of can be found here:

http://www.candlekeep.com/library/artic ... on_elf.htm
Rainbow Prism
Posts: 400
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:57 am

Re: Elven language. Anyone speaks it at all?

Unread post by Rainbow Prism »

Can I count on DM support if when I use non kemo elven someone will not understand it and consider that I use drowish and will metagame me? If not much people understand elven or do not know it, won't it get stupid situations?
When someone calls you elitist, he automatically admits that your RP is superior to his.

Return to “Questions for DMs”