Do monsters regularly spawn in groups in some areas?

Have a question to the staff? Post it here.

Moderators: DM Arkanis, Moderator, DM

Aron Times
Recognized Donor
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:42 pm

Do monsters regularly spawn in groups in some areas?

Unread post by Aron Times »

I noticed that most of the dungeons have monsters that spawn individually. In my case, I'm talking about the Bandit Camp south of the campfire, the Hilltop Ruins, and the area around the abandoned Temple of Bhaal. Are there areas where monsters spawn in groups?

One of the main advantages that mages have over other classes is that they can attack multiple targets at the same time. Although blasting is still inefficient compared to save-or-die or save-or-lose, it's not useless. I'm debating whether to take Fireball next level (level 7) because I haven't run into an area where there are enough enemies to justify casting Fireball. From what I've seen, I'm better off just casting Haste so the warriors in my party can cut through the monsters much faster.
  1. Sorcerer 6/Arcane Scholar 9
  2. Fighter 2/Sorcerer 6/Eldritch Knight 7/Arcane Scholar 1
  3. Fighter 13
  4. Warlock 6
Luna
Retired Admin
Posts: 7945
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Do monsters regularly spawn in groups in some areas?

Unread post by Luna »

All the newer area's have the capability of spawning in groups.

In some cases being in a party will also produce a group.
mar3usmc
Retired Staff
Posts: 663
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:53 am

Re: Do monsters regularly spawn in groups in some areas?

Unread post by mar3usmc »

Well, it depends... I am guessing you are a sorcerer? If so, it would depend on your build, goals, and RP what you would take for spells. I tend to leave AoE spells like fireball for wands, but that also means that many creatures will make the save for half damage, (or with evasion no damage), not to mention SR resistance in some cases. There are many factors to look at.
I'm the guy that kills you by using your own greed and stupidity against you while making you laugh about it.
Enjoy!
Aron Times
Recognized Donor
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: Do monsters regularly spawn in groups in some areas?

Unread post by Aron Times »

So more mobs spawn if you're in a party? That's good to hear. I was afraid that I'd spend most of my time shooting a crossbow than wielding my REAL ULTIMATE POWER.
  1. Sorcerer 6/Arcane Scholar 9
  2. Fighter 2/Sorcerer 6/Eldritch Knight 7/Arcane Scholar 1
  3. Fighter 13
  4. Warlock 6

Return to “Questions for DMs”