mar3usmc wrote:Here is the plan I laid out for the UD, published and out in the open. Rather than me assign these projects perhaps some of you would see something you would like to do or develop further.
This is a tentative plan and nothing in guaranteed. So don't get your hopes up for any one particular area. Also keep in mind also that this plan is very old. Some things have been done, others may not fit any longer. For any area you would like to build please fill out an area application form found
HERE
I read that link a loooong time ago as well. I actually have an entire plan for the UD, including Philock. The problem is the lack of builders for the PW as a whole, and my time is very limited to work on this.
Here are a couple things I posted way back in June that we discussed a little bit. The plan is all laid out, but as I said, it takes time to build nice areas. Sure I could just slap a bunch of tilesets together and fill them with spawns and call it good, but that would look like crap and not be a whole lot of fun I think for the PW as a whole. Every area we add I want to be special in some shape or form. No area should be created for the sole purpose of being a place to grind.
Keep in mind this is all from like June of last year, so very very old and some may not apply anymore, and I don't have the time to edit it right now.
Underdark Plan as a Whole,
Hey Luna and everyone,
Luna has asked me to organise a list of things to do for getting the UD going again. There are many issues that need to be taken care of. I will be compiling that list soon so that you all can look through it and see what you can do.
For now though I know for sure that the primary concern for many is the path to the surface and new areas. The following PM addresses both of these issues in tandem.
Here is a picture for you to follow my area building plan for the UD.
http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/6923/u ... tation.jpg
The most important part, the part to be done first, is the southern section, which would include the Netherese Caverns, which would be the primary buffer zone between the surface and middle Underdark. The northern sections would be done at a later date once all of the southern section is complete and there is technically a connection between the surface and the UD such that no more complaints can come from there not being one.... not they will be able to make it through . This will take care of the primary issue of the surface/UD connection
This plan will leave alot of what has been done in place, but will add, change, and reorganize many things as well. I hope you take the time, I know its really long, to read through this and respond with your impressions and any ideas you have that you would like to add.
Anyhow let me go through all the red circled numbers as they are the primary sections.
Note 1: !(means that one or more of the areas may be exteriors made to look like a large cave)
*(means there will be NO minimap; this will make areas far more confusing, and will add to the emersion)
Note 2: My scheme for what is Upper, Middle, and Lower Underdark ingame is as follows. Any area considered to be about a mile underground is the start of the Underdark. The Underdark will be divided into 9 levels. 1-3, 4-6, and 7-9 will be considered the Upper, Middle, and Lower Underdark respectively. Upper Underdark ranges from 1-3 miles underground, Middle Underdark is 4-10 miles, and Lower Underdark is 10+ miles. For reference the cavern floor of Sshamath is 7 Miles beneath the Sunset Mountains, so it would be considered level 5, right in the middle. Any transistion ingame that goes up, or down is considered a level shift.
"Exterior" caves that have very tall ceilings that are entered from the top and then traveled down to the bottom are also considered a level shift. Going up the main column, Z'orr'bauth, in Sshamath would be consider an up level shift. Varralla's passage is then considered to be Level 4. This is the Scheme I will be using during this explaination.
1. Varralla's Passage: not much will be changed here. I may add in some point lighting, add a camp Jinx requested, but for the most part it will be as is.
2. The rebel slave cave: (hehe that rhymed) this area's layout for the most part will also remain unchanged. The river will be possible to follow to a new section however to the north west. Some things that will be adjusted are lighting, and enviromental objects. Spawns should remain as is.
3. Rebel slave main camp: This will be a mini dungeon for new PCs that will offer an alternative challange to displacers and umber hulks. This new area will also connect to the goblin cave 1st level and the displacer area. It will also be a no rest area. The size will be relatively small. A boss type of NPC could also be added such that the second part to the kill rebel slave quest isn't a freebie. New mob types may need to be created for this area.
4. The Goblin Dungeon: This area is pretty well done, but does need some mistakes fixed and walk paths adjusted a bit. I find this is one of the most frequented areas for grinding. So the one thing I would change a bit is the spawn timer to a bit longer time for spawns. Other than that and removing some double doors, the area is fine as is.
5. West of Varrala's Passage (the displacer/little umber hulk area): This area is pretty good, but needs some artistic touch ups. The pitch black is fine, but it needs something to contrast against. So I think more floura, that glows, would add alot to the area. I would make the area also feel more wet with more effects and sounds reflecting this. Other than an additional path into the #3 area the layout will remain as is. I would like to add a small percentage change to larger umber hulks coming into the area. Perhaps 1 to 5 percent. They have to check on the little ones every now and then right? Smart grinders will run, dumb ones will of course die and cry but meh, tough I say. So adjustment to the spawns to add some variety would be good. Little mushroom men, myconids?, could be interesting as well. Weaker than the big ones of course. Overall I think alot could be done with this area to make it far more interesting and frequented rather than just a "passing through" area.
6. Mushroom Grove: Currently this is where almost all new PCs go for grinding. There is one thing here that spawns currently, beatles. The area is overall done pretty well. Lighting may need some subtle adjustments, and a few enviromental objects to give the place a little more character would be good. Those little mushroom men I mentioned for the previous area would be nice addition to this area, with low spawn rate percentage and of course weak enough for the area. Additional paths will be added to the west and east walls of this area that will connect to two new areas.
7!. I am unsure of what Oghrann's condition would be during our time setting. The area was a Shield Dwarf, unfortunately not Duergar, City before it fell to ruin and the central area has been taken over by some nasty black dragons I believe. The western sections are still
populated by dwarfs that ride Dire Bats. This could be, if we want to stretch the lore, and place for Duergar to start. It also is right nearby a low level starting area, which is nice. The path to get there would be a couple areas to the right of the Mushroom Grove that would rise up rapidly to this Upper dark city.
8. These two areas would be Troglodyte scouting and foward camp areas. The southern one is already ingame, the eastern one would be a new area and would be situated lower than the south one such that when a PC enters the area #9 they could enter it low, or higher up. The south area would only need an adjustment for a north area, and perhaps make the area a bit more interesting and maybe add a chest or two. The east area would of course need to be built from scratch.
9!. Mushroom Forrest: The two previous areas would lead into what would be a Forrest, of sorts. Instead of trees though you would have GIANT mushrooms. The area would be ambient lit from the plenty of light the mushrooms would give off. It would be an exterior area made to look like a large cavern, much like Sshamath. It would be very wet, as the river over head leaks through the cavern ceiling, perfect for the growth of the Mushrooms. I plan on making this area very interesting, and very pleasant for the eye. In the north, north west section of this cavern there will be the front of a trolodyte fortress that is built into the wall and through it is one of the paths towards Reeshov (in the Lower Dark) and a place I will call for now, The Maze, perhaps Cave of the Lost eh? For mobs you will have Trogs, and perhaps other creatures that would get along with them, unless you would like to have them in factions and have a war scene going on .
10*. Troglodyte Fortress: This will be a "dungeon" of the Troglodytes, no resting. I am unsure of the size, but I figure it will be about 2 areas of moderate size, and heavily trapped. Through it PCs can reach the Lower UnderDark, and continue towards Reeshov and The Maze.
11*. The Tar Pits: I think perhaps the only change to this area will be the removal of the minimap. Perhaps I will look over it more in detail and see if I can make it a bit more interesting, like add a few statues, but other than that i don't see much that can be done area wise. As for the gel cubes, can we half thier size? They are simply too large and it just looks awkward. Also, perhaps they should just be removed entirely from the area and make this a basalisk only area. Then add some baby Basalisks . Also, I think the spot and listen for the Basalisks needs to be improved greatly and perhaps give them see invisibility, not true seeing.
12* Illithid Mining Caves: My excuse for having the Illithids with the Duergar's was always that the Duergars were just dominated. This prevents people saying, "well I am duergar, why they attacking me?". Well, that former reasoning justifies this. The duergar, and perhaps some others if you want to add them, can be considered the thralls and under the Illithid Domination. These caves are VERY VERY buggy. The second area being worse than the first. Pathing, and line of sight needs alot of work. I may beable to salvage and use the second area, but as is, it really is alpha and needs alot of work. An additional 1 or 2 areas will be adding to this section that head south towards the Netherese Caverns and Philock. The additional areas will be be considered low epic level areas. A high level epic, depending on build, could possibly solo them for a time. Each succesive area should become one notch harder. This will tell the PC that they are heading into dangerous territory. Additional spawns for this section could be additional Duergar types, rock gnome assassins (sounds funny huh), other random monster thralls, and MUCH stronger Illithid types such as a Lich Illithid. Traps would be moderate in amount, but High in damage. The spawn rate should be low, but have difficult spawns. The areas shouldn't be grindy, but more tactical.
Also, on a side note, I don't know what the plans are for the crafting system. However, I must request that the most valuable ores be placed in this cavern section and randomly in other places in the UD. This would give the surfacers some reason to actually attempt to come to the UD, besides the epic treasure in the next section.
13!* Netherese Caverns+Philock: There is very little information on this area. From what I have been able to gather this should be by far the most dangerous area in BG, besides the 9th layer of hell of course . So basically my plan for this areas is to piss people off who think thier uber powerbuild can solo anything. Sound good so far. Epic traps, no mini map, confusing but beautiful evil layout, portals to the shadow plane that you have to use to get around certain "obsticals", reminants of a ruined city and lost civilization, and of course, epic loot and bad ass mobs. From what I have read of the place that is what you would find there. Most know about the Netherese and thier ancient civilization and how they were masters of magic. So of course loot found here should be some of the best in the game, IF a PC can get to it.
The Netherese who survived and remained in this area and Philock supposedly turned to the Shadow weave and the Goddess Shar. They ended up over time becoming creatures of Shadow. These beings will be the primary antagonists of this area. They will have many immunities, and have very strong magic powers. Spells like Bigby and Mordikain's disjunction will be common ((I can hear the screams of agony on the forums already )).
Philock will be very maze like, almost like a puzzle. Philock I plan on actually being two mirrored areas, one the material plane, the other on the shadow plane. The material plane version will look more in ruins while the shadow plane version will be in much better condition and will have differences. Each area will be moderate to large in size.
Mobs will involve many undead, and shadow fiend types. The variety we could put here is vast. The spawn rate should be moderately high with a high percentage of moderate difficulty monsters (like shadow monsters) with low percentage spawn rate for the more difficult types.. like liches . No one should be able to sprint through this area and invisibility and sneaking will be rendered useless. I plan on making it possible to pass through this section with a balanced party of 5 epics of level 25 or higher. However, it will be VERY difficult even with that group. With 10 or more of those PC types it should then be possible to get through with only moderate difficulty.
Of course, until a different rest system is in place, this will be a no rest area. I may place "safe points" in some places though with "rejuvination" crystals that function like a rest, but have negative side effects as well
I will leave the other details for later, but I hope that the DMs and other Devs like the sound of this place and will support its creation as the main buffer zone between the Middle UD and the Durlag's Entrance.
14!*. Phaerlock Caverns+The Spiral: The Section will contain the phaerlock areas currently ingame plus one or two additional areas, one of them being and exterior made to look like a cave interior that was once a large magma chamber under a volcano, which is what Durlag's is built on, and extint/dormant volcano. As PCs approach the Netherese Caverns they will notice that the difficulty will increase similar to how the Illithid Mining caves. PCs will have to pass through the Phaerlock Temple in order to gain entry to the Netherese Caverns and Philock. As for the current areas, they were well contructed and there isn't much that needs to be done to them as far as I can tell. I will look over them in more detail later and make sure there are no kinks. As for the new exterior and possible interior additions they will all be small in size. Another area will need to be added to Durlag's that will be generally a descent. I just don't like the idea of the portal. Durlag wasn't a wizard I believe. He killed Trolls for a living, and collected treasure. The path down needs to be physical. PCs need to feel that desent.
15*. Snake and Mouther Areas+Plus perhap others later: One of these areas is currently ingame. Though it could use some modifactions to make it more interesting, it is for the most part a done area. An additional area or two may be added with simalar and additional monster types. I may add a svirf camp in one of these areas. I reason this as they are perhaps mining the area, and/or trading for gems from the Illithids. This could also give some Svirfneblin players a place to go, or call thier own. However this would be considered a higher level PC area. So starting here were probably not work unless the mobs were changed or more areas were added with scaling mob difficulty in this section. It is possible, but it would require at least 3 additional areas.
16*. Caves of Slimes: One area already exists ingame. I perhaps could add an additional, more wet, area as well. I am thinking these areas could use more slime varieties as well. This section will be more fleshed out at a later date.
17!*. Undead Groves: Both Section 15 and 16 descend into this section. It is mostly Lower Underdark. I will use one area that already exists in game for this section and an additional one or two new areas. Some of these areas will be DEAD MAGIC areas. It will be a nasty suprise for spell casting types. There may also be some... random.. portals in this area, I will say no more than that for now . These areas will be mostly undead filled. So with no magic, no sneak attacks, no ability to sneak properly ((my undead see very well in the dark and see your soul )), no invisibility or etherealness, and no ability to rest ((no rest areas)), I think PCs will find this section more than challanging. Proper Loot and xp reward, as well making the areas interesting and appealing to the eye, are paramount such that some actually attempt the areas instead of avoiding it entirely. This areas will also connect into The Maze to the north and, if you know the way, will allow a quicker passage through the maze vs going through the troglodyte section.
18!*. The Maze+Reeshov: My plans for this section are again to piss off players who are minimap dependent. There will be no minimap and it will be constructed to confuse, frustrate, and demoralize players, BUT for those who make it through and learn the way they will feel very rewarded, and could use thier knowledge to guide others for a price. This Section is considered Lower and Middle Underdark. The Mobs found in the Maze will be varied in type and difficulty ((ECL of about 10 to 20)), but I really want to see some faerzress infused minotaurs ((ECL=Badass)) . The maze will be heavily trapped, but only physical traps, no magic traps. The grimlocks are the ones who set them and they don't use magic traps.
Reeshov, a mostly grimlock town, is built like a fortress, but with no gates. It will lay at the center of the Lower dark section of the maze. Reeshov is level 7 (12 miles) deep for reference. It will be off limits but to the most savvy PCs ((diplomacy, bluff, or intimidate check required for entry, or perhaps have a quest attached)). Reeshov will have entrances to the west, north, and south sections of the maze in the lower dark. Entry into the town will make The Maze much easier to traverse. Problem is though, I don't think we have any grimlocks for creatures, may need to make something up, or.... if a modeler could help me...
19. Path to Ched Nasad (so original I know): This section will be similar to the trade way, but just a crap load more dangerous. Driders will definitly be along the way, but the more dangerous ones will have thier own little side cave (these areas are sorta already done). There may be also slavers and drow raiders along the way. Many PCs that claim to be foreigners to Sshamath claim to be from Ched. Well, if that place ever becomes a start location then, hey, they could also make the trip from there. The surrounding area around Ched would have to be toned down then of course and monster mobs given a more gradual increase in difficult as they approach Reeshov.
Ched Nasad is also planned for construction. That one is going to be very interesting to develop. Any volunteers? Its a V shaped Cavern with steep walls, water pouring out of them, and there are many floors going down to the bottom of the cave made of calcified webbing that glows. I think you would have to do a basic outline of the cave, decorate the walls then do one floor, save that as an area, make a transistion spot, copy that area and relabel it, and delete the floor you did and do the next below or above. That could take a while.
20*. The path between Eryndyln and Reeshov: This would be similar to the path to Ched in length, and mob types but a lower ECL~15-20. I am thinking I would have some ruins to pass through along the way in this section. Haven't put much thought into this section yet. I will flesh it out at a later date.
Eryndyln is also on the contruction list. This city's layout will be easy to construct as far as I am concerned. I made one in a couple hours. Eviloth said he was interested in contructing it but just got busy with classes so I will leave it to him for now as it is not needed any time soon.
21. Path to Eryndyln: This will be mostly an Upper underdark section, level 2-3, desending into the middle dark. It will contain drow slavers, a variety of monster mobs like bugbears, orc, trolls, kobolds etc.. ECL will be about 15-20 I figure. Perhaps a slaver camp could be added along the way or in a side cave with them lurking right outside. The slavers should not get along with any other monster mob.
22. The Descent/Assent ((depends on perspective)): This will be considered an alternate path into the Underdark besides Durlag's or the Naskel mines that have to go through the Netherese caverns to get to Sshamath. I haven't decided on the exact entrance to use on the surface as I am not too familiar with surface areas. I think I remember there being a troll cave in the circled area. That may be the way to get into this current section. The path into the area I will call, "The Descent", will be a long narrow cave that is a bit above knee deep in water ((sorry shorties, neck deep for you, or... higher)) The cave will get more narrow and tighter as you reach the end... Actually, I have already described this before on a thread, let me quote
One area I am calling decent for now will have a previos narrow cave leading into it that will get tighter and tighter with water pouring in from the walls. By the end you will be knee to waist deep in water (watch out shorties). Then at the end you will pass through (area transistion) into a VERY expansive cave with waterfalls all over coming out of the cliff wall, with sunlight poking through here and there.
The decending Cliff will be V shaped rising up on the sides and going down as you move foward from where entered. The cliff side will be rocky and have narrow and maybe a little wider walk paths with water pouring over some/most of them.At the bottom the streams will combine into a small river that you can follow while the land keeps going down in elevation. At the end of the river (area transistion) you will reach a chasm (like a fault line in the crust) where the river falls off, a waterfall, and you will have to climb down that cliff side to go deeper (here I may have caves going in and out of the cliffside and try to make it a bit maze like, confusing, and in the caves have no minimap).
Once at the bottom of the chasm the waterfall flows into a dividing river going two ways and flows into, and the ends, an underground river that you can no longer follow (well not without drowning). On the other side of the chasm, across the river, there will be a cave entrence in the cliff side that will lead you deeper into the Underdark.There will be a variety of vegitation along the whole path, as well as monster NPCs, and interesting lighting and effects. I hope you have a pretty good image in your head about what I am thinking. I would like to make this the initial area as you decend into the UD. It will be considered a UD area, so be wary of other UD PCs . This and the following areas will lead all the way to Sshamath with a few towns (not friendly towns mind you) and other sites along the way. I plan to make enough areas such that it would take you at least an hour, while hasted, uninterupted by mobs, AND knowing the way to get to Sshamath.
OK, sorry if this description and planning was a bit long to read through, but I like to be as detailed and thorough as possible. I hope you all like the ideas and I look foward to receiving your comments, concerns, critisisms, suggestions and ideas to further this project.
ttyl, Manny