RP enforced?

Have a question to the staff? Post it here.

Moderators: DM Arkanis, Moderator, DM

Side
Posts: 238
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:29 pm
Location: Michigan USA

RP enforced?

Unread post by Side »

The last I heard RP was not enforced, but encouraged, and as long as it did not break RP for someone else doing something OOCly like a duel is perfectly fine. I have heard of a few people over the past few months who have gotten in trouble for doing completely OOC things when a DM walked by so I figured I would ask
Has the status of RP enforcement changed?
Passiflora wrote: AS A DROW you will kill DUERGARS for like..... lvl 9 to 25. A DAMN LOT OF DUERGARS.
Luna
Retired Admin
Posts: 7945
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: RP enforced?

Unread post by Luna »

Side, I approved the post for replies.

It might be better if Maecius answers this one.
User avatar
Maecius
Retired Admin
Posts: 11639
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 4:24 pm

Re: RP enforced?

Unread post by Maecius »

About a year or so ago, we went from being a "Roleplay-Lite server" to a "Roleplay server."

Because of the issues concomitant with players only roleplaying "some of the time" -- getting arrested or ruining your character's reputation for an "OOC duel," for example -- and because of our desire to produce a high-quality roleplaying server, we do enforce roleplay -- and ask that you keep in mind the potential consequences of your actions.

If you have to talk OOC, you can do so with parentheses "(( Like this. ))" or backslashes "\\ Like this."

It's asked that you only do this when RP is not going to be interrupted by it.

You should never have to "OOC duel." It's easy enough to RP out your desire to spar. If you really, really, reaaaally want to do it though, do it some place off the main roads, where you aren't going to be seen. But be prepared to deal with the in-character consequences if you are seen. And be prepared to answer any DM that pops in for multiple PVP deaths, investigating possible griefing.
Side
Posts: 238
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:29 pm
Location: Michigan USA

Re: RP enforced?

Unread post by Side »

Thank you for the clarification, explains quite a bit. Main reason I see OOC duels is between characters who would otherwise avoid each other, but the players behind them do not, but I'll keep all this in mind from now on.
Passiflora wrote: AS A DROW you will kill DUERGARS for like..... lvl 9 to 25. A DAMN LOT OF DUERGARS.

Return to “Questions for DMs”