Server Rating

Have a question to the staff? Post it here.

Moderators: DM Arkanis, Moderator, DM

Hydrocarbonated
Posts: 1870
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 1:15 pm

Re: Server Rating

Unread post by Hydrocarbonated »

DrowChyld wrote:My question for all staff is what grounds do you think BG:TSCC is a 'T' rating?
BG:TSCC is a "Teen" rated server. Period. If someone is roleplaying outside the PG-13 standards, they are breaking the rules.

We have a legal responsibility to police interactions in an environment where we cannot verify the age of the participants. The server relays the communications and is the property of Luna, which makes him directly liable if a 13 year old were to be involved in cybering, as an example.

You can try rephrasing the question for clarity, but the answer won't change unless Luna wants to put in a prefacing legal disclaimer and waiver to limit his personal liability. In his place, I'd spend the money and incorporate to further limit exposure, and relocate the server offshore.

So yes, it's that serious an issue.
Arivain - A man of guts and bravery, after all.
Ward Williamson - "(expletive) insane."
Bulldog241
Posts: 204
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:05 am

Re: Server Rating

Unread post by Bulldog241 »

Luna wrote:Bulldog I don't think anyone said you can't swear.

Actually, I was told once by a DM exactly this. My character swore, and I then recieved a tell from a DM (I don't remember who, it was many many months ago) telling me that such language is not allowed.

Ever since then I simply assumed that was the official stance. But if that DM was in error, then I'll start making my language a bit more "colorful". :twisted:
"I have no idea what weapons World War 3 will be fought with, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones." ~Albert Einstein
Hydrocarbonated
Posts: 1870
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 1:15 pm

Re: Server Rating

Unread post by Hydrocarbonated »

PG-13 constrains swearing, both in tone and frequency. To maintain a PG-13 effective, we'd have to allocate 1-4 swears to the entire playerbase per 2 hours.

If you'd like to apply for one of those swears, I'll gin up a form. Just PM your official request to me and I'll get back to you.
Arivain - A man of guts and bravery, after all.
Ward Williamson - "(expletive) insane."
TheVoid
Retired Staff
Posts: 2107
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:59 pm

Re: Server Rating

Unread post by TheVoid »

There is a lot of liability involved, last thing we need are complaints and threats from parents who disagree with the rating of the server for their minors. Yes, you can blame the parents for letting it get that far but that won't stop them from complaining or reporting inappropriate material. Unlikely, that someone will go to extremes to report deviancy on an internet PW, but you never know.

Also, plain and simple... It does not fit with the administrator's and staff's consensus on appropriate content for the PW. We have certain standards that all of us agreed to when we logged on to the server. This is a rule just like any other be it PvP rules, Pick-pocketing, harassment, god-modding, meta-gaming, etc... all are offenses for obvious reasons.
Bulldog241
Posts: 204
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:05 am

Re: Server Rating

Unread post by Bulldog241 »

Luna wrote:Bulldog I don't think anyone said you can't swear.
Hydrocarbonated wrote:PG-13 constrains swearing, both in tone and frequency.
So who's correct here?
"I have no idea what weapons World War 3 will be fought with, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones." ~Albert Einstein
Luna
Retired Admin
Posts: 7945
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Server Rating

Unread post by Luna »

Didn't Hydro and I pretty much say the same thing... :lol:
DM Sword
Posts: 661
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:56 pm

Re: Server Rating

Unread post by DM Sword »

It's gratuitous swearing which is generally a nono, we understand that everyone might have reason to curse occasionally. The problem emerges when folks just let loose a litaney of curses regularly and without good reason. Personally I dislike overuse of the F-bomb and the C-word, these should be rarely used, if ever. The rest aren't so bad, but honestly, there are alot of words in the english language, and many ways to express yourself without swearing every few seconds.

The fact that people are arguing to allow themselves sound uneducated and crude is a poor reflection upon themselves, just my opinion.
muffinFBSL
Posts: 97
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:05 pm

Re: Server Rating

Unread post by muffinFBSL »

Luna wrote:Didn't Hydro and I pretty much say the same thing... :lol:
Hydro said "constrains" not "contains". I asked myself the same question when I first read Bulldog last post :P

But no... for the most part they were ambivalent and naturally ambiguous.

But Zabel summed it up, so it's all good.
devildog30
Posts: 211
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 2:35 pm
Location: In a bungalow on the outskirts of jerkville

Re: Server Rating

Unread post by devildog30 »

My question has always been, and I've never received a clear answer on this. Can the players use curse words, that would normally be used in the Forgotten Realms?

I only ask, because I have for the last three years now but I wouldn't want to suddenly offend some piss poor parent's delicate sensibilities.

Here's a link with three pages of great things to say to replace the "F" and "C" word. So saith Ed Greenwood.

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?T ... hichpage=1


My question also is, where does the server draw the line?

We want to refrain from cursing, but what about romantic relationships that are made through roleplaying? We don't allow cybering, but we can't stop the same under aged minors from having a "pretend" relationship IG with a player who might be in their forties or fifties can we?

What do you think will upset a parent more, the use of harsh language or their child involved in a online romantic tryst with a complete stranger?
A lot of teens especial between the ages of 13-17 sometimes have trouble discerning what's real, and what's make believe.

The one thing I have learned these many years of playing online roleplaying games. There is a very thin line between where the player ends, and the character begins.
Sir Justin Crownsilver: "I am a Crownsilver, however least regarded of those who bear that proud name."
devildog30
Posts: 211
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 2:35 pm
Location: In a bungalow on the outskirts of jerkville

Re: Server Rating

Unread post by devildog30 »

My question has always been, and I've never received a clear answer on this. Can the players use curse words, that would normally be used in the Forgotten Realms?

I only ask, because I have for the last three years now but I wouldn't want to suddenly offend some piss poor parent's delicate sensibilities.

Here's a link with three pages of great things to say to replace the "F" and "C" word. So saith Ed Greenwood.

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?T ... hichpage=1


My question also is, where does the server draw the line?

We want to refrain from cursing, but what about romantic relationships that are made through roleplaying? We don't allow cybering, but we can't stop the same under aged minors from having a "pretend" relationship IG with a player who might be in their forties or fifties can we?

What do you think will upset a parent more, the use of harsh language or their child involved in a online romantic tryst with a complete stranger?
A lot of teens especial between the ages of 13-17 sometimes have trouble discerning what's real, and what's make believe.

The one thing I have learned these many years of playing online roleplaying games. There is a very thin line between where the player ends, and the character begins.
Sir Justin Crownsilver: "I am a Crownsilver, however least regarded of those who bear that proud name."
User avatar
Flasmix
Posts: 2504
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:22 am
Location: Cult of Skebbeton HQ

Re: Server Rating

Unread post by Flasmix »

Great, Zabel thinks I'm crude.
Wirg to Pug: "Iz lat dun?"
Pugratix to a snarky militia man: "Mmmm. Not yet. I will live for hundreds of years and be heralded as one of the greatest forces of destruction on the face of the world. The only thing you can destroy is the outhouse."
StevenDo
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:13 pm
Location: Alberta, Canada

Re: Server Rating

Unread post by StevenDo »

There is also argument to be had for the time period/ setting of this PW. Do you honestly think the Fbomb or the the C word even existed in their speech no less would it have been common, given the level of disrespect it conveys? Moreover there are far more expressive means then using those words, a blasphemy towards one of the gods could even be used in place. In the rare occasion that i have found reason to swear or my character has been angry enough to, the colorful insults that can be implemented without modern slang are far more effective both IC and OOC. Any dolt can curse like a sailor. If you do lack the vocabulary required to do so a simple **Curses loudly** Is enough to concisely display your dislike for something. therefor allowing you to curse until your hearts content without offending a soul, the imagination is a strong thing and can easily fill in the blanks.

Just my two sense.

Cheers!
Beldore Senfer **Looks up from his tome, cocks his brow questioningly, and returns to his studies** Deceased

Jarold Brone **Smirks from beneath his cowl**
DM mdwagner
Posts: 808
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:13 pm
Location: California

Re: Server Rating

Unread post by DM mdwagner »

My son wants to play NWN2 with us (he watches me DM sometimes). He is 11. I am happy and proud that we do our best to keep the server a place where parents can let their kids play D + D :D
Durntog Kaz-Dangt ~ Dwarf Battle Priest of Vergadain
Slawtta Du Vaein ~ Sadistic Hin
Sherk-Rathi ~ Drow Outkast

Lore Base of the 1353 Campaign

Campaign State of Affairs - 1353 - Year of the Arch

Return to “Questions for DMs”