LeslieMS wrote:[TWO HUNDRED AND NINTH ENTRY]
A VIPER IN THE GRASS PART FIVE: BETWEEN BROTHERS
It had been mostly quiet, at least for me. Kelorin had perhaps stopped wasting his time. He had made his hate for me clear. With every attempt to shatter us, to break Jonas… we strengthened each other… Because we were together. We shared a unique bond… our small group. One forged by friendship, love, loyalty, and even faith… further strengthened in our trials of fire and faith, battle tested and proven. Our actions and interactions, almost a subconscious dance as our lives twined, seemed to play off of one another subtlety, and some not so much.
So it was rather obvious as the morning passed into afternoon that something was amiss when Ali did not return from her walk. I try not to be constricting. I know it is my nature to be protective, more so because she is with child. My duty has long been about the children. All of them, be they mine to care for or not… this one… Because Jonas is my oath-sworn brother… Because Ali is his wife… because she is my sister in faith and in spirit… because of all the souls I consider dear, hers is closest… Second to Ali could only be Joan or Rith these days. There are fewer now that I trust so implicitly. For the best perhaps… But it makes me all the more protective of these who are so close.
Ali was missing. That much was clear by evening. I did not sleep that night… I know Jonas did not. I had never seen him so… out of sorts. It was almost worse than when Torm withdrew from him while madness raged through his mind. This was a different sort of madness. A madness that is kindred to me of a sort. To be missing those you love… I know it well. I have sympathized with Beatrix, yes… but with Jonas… aside from understanding I could sense it. Gone was his usual calm and comforting undertone. He was sheer chaos, completely at a loss. I watched and prayed as this pillar of strength buckled now… I felt as though all I could do was too little…
He wandered, and I spent hours in meditation. Focusing myself past his worry and fear… past my own, so that I might offer strength and comfort. What hours were not spent in prayer… were spent walking, asking, seeking, praying some soul had seen something or could shed some light on where she might be. It was the utter, blinding anguish… crippling, and left even -me- struggling to breathe for a moment… that broke through my meditations. Later Brother Marcus would say I had not flown from my prayers as such since Billy was discovered missing. I feared the worst… and I prayed against all hope as I sought Jonas out, that whatever it was… we could still mend it.
I found him, standing in the temple of Tyr with Rith, Tomar, Charraj, and he looked a mess. Through some coaxing… details were brought to light. Kelorin had used a child, tricked a child, or taken the form of a child… to trick Ali… Lure her away from the safety of others. Then he had “Soultrapped” her. Foul spell… My prayer began to be for the unborn child. I do not think Ali or Jonas could bear losing another. Not that I would allow it… I did not care if I would drain myself to near nothingness… They would not loose this child, my mind had long since been made up on such.
More details came to light… The gem was tossed through a portal. We would need to go after it. The others suggested “Wishing” it back to us… however that is a very tricky bit of arcane magic… and none present had the skill. Charraj scried for the gem, despite my own wariness of scrying… and Rith’s cautioning not to. It was brief, but the scenery was vaguely familiar. Lower planes… the Abyss perhaps? And by the image we saw, in the hand of a demon… a large one. I knew if we traveled there, my channeling would be less effective, as would Jonas’ gifts from Torm, Tomar’s from Tyr. So I made my way through the city… gathering supplies.
By the time I had returned, we had been joined by River, the free-spirited Bardess, Siomir, Ramas, Leonia… I counted our number and was glad that I had gotten extra scrolls. It was a grand group, and one I knew well how to fight with. We each knew the place we would hold in battle, knew the moves of the others, knew the tactics, the strategies, the plans… And with little more than passing glances, those places were reaffirmed.
They were still discussing ways to gain the gem without traipsing the Abyss, and I spoke up finally. I did know a prayer after all… less likely to go awry than a “Wish” spell. Less sinister hands in such a thing. A prayer I was willing to make the sacrifice for, and one Ilmater would oblige so long as I did not abuse the gifts granted me… “Miracle” We could will her back, through force of faith alone. None. Hold. That. Which. Is Mercy’s. None.
So it was agreed. I began to pray. Perhaps not the familiar prayers of the clergy, but ones that Ilmater has come to expect from me. I stood before him as a willing servant, as a child, and asked most humbly for his aid. I asked that we be able to free Alistaria, that we be able to end this once and for always. I asked Mercy for the Rokranons, all of them. I asked for the means and the faith to see this done… and slowly, as the prayer took shape, the Divine energies that I may so easily attune to began to work through me. That familiar buzzing in my ears, the light before my eyes… on a greater scale than typical healing prayers and such… Faith and Duty aligned. The request was made, though I was unsure which of these Ilmater would grant, I was unprepared for what came next.
I stood there, in the temple of Tyr… for all intents and purposes at the very feet of Ilmater. Calm in his presence, comforted, assured in my tasks and my faith. Patiently, I awaited his answer, The distant sound of children’s laughter touched my ears through the noise. Energy built and focused as I offered forth the price expected of such a boon. For not even Mercy offers such things without a price, so that we may understand and appreciate the thing we ask, the gift we are granted…
There was a blinding flash as the Hand of the Divine began to move… When our vision cleared… we stood in the place we had seen in the mirror… Very confusing to say the least… cautiously we looked about to gain our bearings, unsure what had happened… It is a powerful bit of interference to cause such a prayer to go awry… This worried me. However, this worry was calmed by the gentle whisperings of Ilmater… Though the intent of the prayer had been thwarted… perhaps it was the nature of the prayer that kept our connections to the Triad strong in the Abyss? I could not say I understood… Nor was there time to question it.
We were beset by demons… we threw ourselves into battle, knowing that Ali was here… somewhere… and hoping that was close. Praying. We pressed onward, through demon after demon. They tried to best us by surrounding us. River’s voice blended with Leonia’s a beautiful song that became the melody to this deadly chorus we raised. The clashing of blades and whispers of arrows added rhythm to this wonder, punctuated by prayers and battle cries… the agonized growls and guttural grumbles of dying demonic foes. Over the music we made, the fluid words of the arcane as Rith sent spells forth in a flurry I had not seen in all the days I had known her. It was… as I look back on it… Truly inspiring to see faith and heart, sheer will at work in that desolate place of the Abyss…
Despite wave after wave, we were keeping our spirits high… and eventually, still mostly well, though rather worn… We stood before the largest Balor I had ever seen. He spat Abyssal tripe at us, and we struggled to understand his words… I prayed clarity from Ilmater… Though Rith had stated she was almost positive what the thing said was “Please hit my face with a great sword…” Let it not be said that the Abyss lacked manners…
'WHY ARE YOU HERE?!'
It screamed at us. Jonas’ fury was evident.
‘Be careful of your words now, brother.’
I cautioned Jonas… I still half expected some trick of some sort.
‘You have something that we seek. Something that does not belong to you.’
'What is this? So that I may put it in your eye socket when I have slain you twice over…'
‘The Gem. Don’t feign ignorance.’
The demon retorted with laughter and something about dead fools… Jonas let loose a battle cry as we prepared to fell the thing before us.
‘To the Abyss with yo-- … oh!’
And with that he shrugged and raised his sword. More fighting ensued… until at last another demon, larger than the one before… stood in front of us and sneered angrily.
‘Have we met? I never can tell.’
Good. Jonas was abandoning worry and fear… his confidence was gaining foothold again. Ramas spoke next, his voice a level calm.
‘I think a little diplomacy is called for, Sir Rokranon.’
He stepped forward, this giant of a man before this giant of a demon… and I listened, my hand on my healing supplies and a prayer on my thoughts. I watched… almost amused as Ramas flashed his best smile at the beast. The demon continued to whine plaintively about his dead lieutenant.
‘Could you please kneel so that I may take your head without the usual mess?’
‘Please?’
Jonas quickly added in the interests of diplomacy.
‘We are trying to be reasonable here.’
'Here for this then?'
He held up an onyx that gleamed in the odd light of the abyssal waste around us… it reflected the cruel fire of his eyes. Jonas’ demeanor shifted instantly, and I moved to sturdy this pillar I held so dear. So long had he kept me standing through so much… and now it was my time to return the favor. The demon scratched a long claw across the gem’s surface.
‘Don’t do that.’
Jonas’ fury rose, rightly so… but still.
‘Peace brother. Calm.’
His jaw clenched but he nodded.
'Do what? This?'
The demon taunted as he ran his claw across the surface with grating slowness.
‘-No-!’
Jonas called out, wincing as the demon continued to try to rile him.
‘Peace brother… Do not let it goad you so.’
The demon grinned as Ramas stated calmly that damaging the gem wasn’t actual harm to Ali, that if it broke it would free her… Jonas’ words came, and the note of pain in them was unmistakable.
‘He’s hurting her.’
‘Strength of faith…’
I murmured a prayer to help his resolve and whispered softly in his ear.
‘Ali is strong… her faith is strong… She will endure and we will take them home, safely. Calm.’
As the brief conversation continued it was very evident to the demon… and to us what was -intended- to happen. Kelorin had hoped that we, in our quest to seek Ali and free her, would destroy the demon that held his pact, thus freeing him. A clever gambit… but it was unraveling before his golden eyes. I reached then, to the very depths of my faith to call forth some measure of mercy for Kelorin.
I worked hard to quell the emotions I felt as I looked on Kelorin’s pitiful countenance. Part of me was still angry… dare I say that to some measure I hated him… I would be lying to say I did not at the very least… despise him with every measure of my being, more than perhaps the demon who stood between us. But for all my anger and indignation… the one most wronged by him stood, and spoke calmly.
‘I told you, Kelorin. I told you that you sealed your fate.’
Yes. He would ask for Mercy… and he would receive it in the measure he was due. As much as I like to believe all creatures will take a second chance when offered… I knew… this one… would not. Oh. He would take the chance… but there would be no redemption. He would slink away, the hate and want for pain so deeply ingrained in his soul that he would find other victims… The cycle would continue. If we did not end this… the cycle would continue until his death. He had proven that once already.
I would not see Jonas endure another twenty years at the whims of a Viper. None of us would… The only Mercy Kelorin would find… was a swift death… and by no other hand… than the twin of flesh and blood that he had so wronged. That… was the Triad. Whatever ill machinations had drawn us to the abyss… I would see more than one part of the prayer I had offered answered this day. Perhaps this was the Gods’ way of turning things right even though a wrong had been committed? Tyr’s Justice would come at the hand of the Loyal Fury’s most faithful of the region… and the Hand of Mercy need only see that it was swift.
‘He is yours to deal with, Jonas. We will handle the demon while you set your house in order.’
Ramas had said it, but I think no other there would have denied Jonas that right. Whether the others heard the whisper or not… instinctively and with no other words between us, we took our places. The other swordsmen subtlety worked to surround the demon and separate Kelorin from the beast… Jonas moved ever so slightly to face Kelorin. Silently we regarded each other, our resolves unwavering. I took a position between the two groups and prayed my swift feet never failed me, especially not now…
“Kill the cleric first… and the others die quickly enough…”
Kelorin’s old threat echoed through me as I called “Sanctuary”. I would not be among the number of those who fell.
‘Brother… You have to Help me!’
The demon offered to spare Kelorin… to forgive the attempted treachery. ALL Kelorin had to do… was slay all of us… Kelorin screamed about the demon lying… And Jonas’ answer came without hesitation.
‘Of course he lies. That is what demons do. You knew this. You knew this when you chose this path!’
Kelorin offered more pleading. It was then that I realized, as Jonas spoke… that I never had to worry over him falling. For as he spoke, he carried no malice. No want for vengeance… only want to end it. To stop this cycle of pain, see justice met, and his wife and child protected. The ones he loved protected. To see this evil that was Kelorin -ended-.
‘I told you I would only help you if you submitted to justice.’
As Kelorin’s feeble composure gave way to an unbridled. indignant rage, his face twisted in anger and he screamed… The last words I heard from Kelorin Rokranon were:
‘IT'S ALWAYS BEEN ABOUT YOU!!!! I'LL TAKE YOU DOWN WITH ME!!! It's over, you selfish bastard. One way or the other, it's over.’
And how right he was. The was the end… the final verse of the lament that was Kelorin Rokranon, Ramas called out as the demon sought to make use of our distraction. From the corner of my eye I saw the demon‘s blade rise even before Ramas‘ words reached my ears:
‘Jonas, attend your brother!’
For all the glory of our previous battle… this one… against Kelorin, this demon and his servants… This was a chorus that shook the whole of the Abyss. More glorious and melodic than the one that came before. Rith… Her power was truly astounding. She held nothing back as we fought. I called prayers to move the very heavens, and the sound of bow and bard song and clash of steel and claw… The final measure of music rising to wondrous crescendo as the demon and Kelorin cursed each other.
Then for a moment… there was an odd silence. Deafening in the wake of battle. Kelorin and the demon lay dead… Jonas looked about for the gem that held Ali’s soul… after we were able to calm Siomir down… May it be mercy that few end up on the wrong side of that primal fury in the elf. For I fear that is the only mercy they will find… We stood and looked at each other. Mostly unharmed, but very well exhausted. We had seen it through mostly. The head of the viper had been removed. The Viper in the grass lay dead at our feet.
Once the gem was in hand, we became aware of the mass of denizens we had aroused. Like vultures to the smell of decay, or sharks to the scent of blood… they were coming to snuff out this holy intrusion. And argue over who took the ranks abandoned by the ones we had destroyed.
‘… Find us a way out or a place to make a stand…’
Ramas’ words reached my exhausted ears over the din of gnashing teeth and wailing souls. We had no time… and we had no exit… at least… not yet. One more prayer… Well two… First I prayed I had the strength to do what needs must. Second… I asked all the Triad to open a way for us. Jonas was right. We were not accepting death here. Not now… not after all of this.
‘We must protect Meri as she prays!’
And as the sounds of battle rang out around me… slowly… it was replaced by the buzzing in my ears. Faith is strength. It has never failed me. Lo! Though I may have failed in the past, mortal as I am… my faith has never failed me. Our faith in the Triad has never failed us. As the tide of demons neared, and threatened to overtake us, a portal opened… beyond it.. The Tyrran temple. It would not fail us now.
We tumbled through the portal, that swiftly closed once we were all through. I felt the toll of the energy moved… but was more than relieved that we had recovered the gem. I watched silently as Jonas placed the gem on the Tyrran alter… and drew his sword down on it. A force I was surprised he possessed… but not surprised he could muster to save his wife and child.
Ali seemed to stumble from the gem, whole and unharmed… and after a moment of careful checking… I was assured that both she and the child were fine, despite the magic used. A mercy among the many we had been granted this day. For all our loss and our suffering… I was content in these Mercies this day. Great as they were. I stood, a humble, grateful… willing servant of Ilmater. Though I don’t think I stood long… I sat down on the bench, watching Ali and Jonas for a time…
I suppose I had fallen asleep, because I woke some time later, in bed. The sounds of quiet voices downstairs. Sister Juna had gotten the children to bed… everything was in order. Amid so much shadow, it was nice to have a reason to celebrate. I know Ali’s stomach was unsettled from the pregnancy, but I wanted to make something grand! A meal befitting the victory we had. So I did.
We were mostly through the meal when Ali remembered that the girl… was actually a girl, and had been trapped by Kelorin. She felt bad for forgetting this… but given all that had happened… in her state, she was fortunate to remember her name, much less anything else. Mercy of Mercies… Kelorin’s coin pouch had been looted, and there within, another gem. Ramas… May Mercy forever smile on him… Shattered the gem holding the young girl with a club sized for the nearly seven foot tall man… and my table and three chairs… half the dishes… But… Blessedly, the girl was safe and sound.
Despite being upset over her ordeal, and not understanding that Jonas was not Kelorin… She was returned safe and sound to her family. The table can be replaced. For now I have the spare chairs out… And a pair of barrels that were full of salted meats over some shelves. No doubt it will be right as rain in a day or two.
The rest of the evening was a grand affair full of laughter and celebration. Slowly, everyone trickled off to some much deserved rest. I will sleep soon. I felt it best to commit thought to word, and word to quill and parchment first. My final thoughts now, before I seek rest… I do hope Mercy guards Tessian as closely. For of all the mercies that are mine to hold… He is my most precious. I miss the man dearly. I hope things go well in Trademeet. I will write Iliara and Dracius in the morning. For now… I offer prayers. For now… I am content that in the end… There is only Mercy.
~~
Thanks, Leslie.