Script Suggestion: Add the Sigil Item Appearance Changer

Information and Discussion Relating to NWN2 Scripting and Coding

Moderators: Moderator, Developer, DM

virtualangel
Posts: 58
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:03 am

Script Suggestion: Add the Sigil Item Appearance Changer

Unread post by virtualangel »

Hello,

I am new to this server, playing mostly in the Underdark, but I really feel that this great server is missing the boat on Item Appearance.

You have an Appearance Editor, which is GREAT, don't get me wrong, but there is a much better version of this script in use on the Sigil: City of Doors server.

I do recommend that you keep the Armor Type limited to the type of armor it is, Sigil does not do this so Mages wearing robes can look like they are wearing plate... that's just silly.

I hope I placed this suggestion in the right place, if not please feel free to delete it and let me know.

Thanks!
Baldur's Gate
Acheron Shadowbow - Master Archer
Aindon - Sellsword
Eon Fawkes - Cleric of Mielikki
Gimval Boarstead - Dwarven Slayer


Sshamath
Ustvelve Jaezred - First Blade of House Jaezred
Luna
Retired Admin
Posts: 7945
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Script Suggestion: Add the Sigil Item Appearance Changer

Unread post by Luna »

That one has a memory leak problem.
With the size of our server and how many players we have, we were concerned if it leaked to much memory it would push us over the 4GB memory limit after the server was up a while and crash the server.

Since NWN2 is a 32-bit application, it can' use more than 4GB of memory.

We tinkered with the idea of pushing that app out to a 2nd server where you would just go there and the only thing you would be able to do is change your appearance, but that was put on the back burner.
At least if that app was on a 2nd sever it would be isolated and not muck with the main server.
virtualangel
Posts: 58
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:03 am

Re: Script Suggestion: Add the Sigil Item Appearance Changer

Unread post by virtualangel »

That makes sense.

I was surprised that it was not implemented seeing you guys have most of the other "good" stuff.

If that could be worked out in the future that would be fantastic.

In the meantime maybe someone with the programming skills will fix it so it works properly... but alas I have no skills in that area.
Baldur's Gate
Acheron Shadowbow - Master Archer
Aindon - Sellsword
Eon Fawkes - Cleric of Mielikki
Gimval Boarstead - Dwarven Slayer


Sshamath
Ustvelve Jaezred - First Blade of House Jaezred
User avatar
CrawlingOnGlass
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:58 am

Re: Script Suggestion: Add the Sigil Item Appearance Changer

Unread post by CrawlingOnGlass »

Luna wrote:We tinkered with the idea of pushing that app out to a 2nd server where you would just go there and the only thing you would be able to do is change your appearance, but that was put on the back burner.
At least if that app was on a 2nd sever it would be isolated and not muck with the main server.
This seems to have been put on the back-burner awhile ago. Probably for various reasons, but I'm sure the players would love something like this. Was wondering what the DM team might need to make something like this happen? Or if the decision to can the idea altogether been made?
Eclypticon
Posts: 1009
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 7:26 pm
Location: USA

Re: Script Suggestion: Add the Sigil Item Appearance Changer

Unread post by Eclypticon »

I am against this unless someone fixes the memory leak. I have seen this application lag servers too much. I would like to see it work right though.
User avatar
gedweyignasia
Custom Content
Posts: 1353
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:27 pm
Location: EST/UTC-4

Re: Script Suggestion: Add the Sigil Item Appearance Changer

Unread post by gedweyignasia »

Can someone point me to the code for this?

Return to “NWN2 Scripting”