Question about Red Wizard levels on non Thayan PC's

Have a question to the staff? Post it here.

Moderators: DM Arkanis, Moderator, DM

Zhentil_Keep
Posts: 170
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:54 am
Location: Kingston, Ontario

Question about Red Wizard levels on non Thayan PC's

Unread post by Zhentil_Keep »

Hi,

I've had people ask to join the Zhentarim in the past who had taken red wizard levels. The answer to this has obviously always been NO as they are obviously Thayan and infiltrating the guild. Someone could naturally try to infiltrate the guild as a Red Wizard(which is fine) but if they were found out IC, they would be killed and the char would be considered perma-killed (part of the new infiltrating rules).

I've heard of many players taking Red Wizard levels just for powergaming reasons and RPing as if they aren't red wizards or from Thay.
Is this acceptable?? For example... if a player tells you OOC that their character is from Amn, yet they have red wizard levels and are not playing a red wizard from Thay, should it be allowed? Obviously they are not roleplaying their character properly and just taking a class for pure PG reasons. So I'm a little iffy about how that should work.
I know Red Wizards are KoS if found out IC... but I'm not sure how it would be handled if they were taking the class for other OOC reasons.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'd like to be able know how to handle this when it comes up OOC.

Thanks!
Asparin Ravenwood, Human Acquisition Specialist
Xarak Shadowstalker, A recently "enlightened", former assassin of Malar the Beastlord
Gaedynn Coldstone, Frostfolk Icemage
Luna
Retired Admin
Posts: 7945
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Question about Red Wizard levels on non Thayan PC's

Unread post by Luna »

Zhentil a change will be coming to RW.
the DM's asked for it a while ago.
We just haven't' gotten around to implementing it.

Also, are you sure RW are KOS?
I haven't heard that one, but I'm not always 100% up to speed on every rule.
TheVoid
Retired Staff
Posts: 2107
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:59 pm

Re: Question about Red Wizard levels on non Thayan PC's

Unread post by TheVoid »

Not KOS but met with EXTREME Hostility.

I would first ask them to submit their profile like you normally do Zhentil, if their bio doesn't reflect their class choices or being a RW outright reject them.

If they are Thayan in their bio and they are a RW, it's up to you if you want to let them in or not.
Zhentil_Keep
Posts: 170
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:54 am
Location: Kingston, Ontario

Re: Question about Red Wizard levels on non Thayan PC's

Unread post by Zhentil_Keep »

Sorry I should have said extreme hostility as they are technically not KoS, although many players take that route anyways.

I agree 100% with you Void. I just wanted to see how the staff thought about it and if it would be fair for me to take such a stance. Personally I think it's wrong to take a class like RWoT purely for powergaming reasons and NOT back it up with your characters Bio. If you can back it up and have good reasons for it than it can be allowed - depending on the situation.

But without an IC reason, I find it very distasteful.


Thanks for the quick response guys!
Asparin Ravenwood, Human Acquisition Specialist
Xarak Shadowstalker, A recently "enlightened", former assassin of Malar the Beastlord
Gaedynn Coldstone, Frostfolk Icemage
Laenor
Posts: 189
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:43 am
Location: Paris, France

Re: Question about Red Wizard levels on non Thayan PC's

Unread post by Laenor »

Luna wrote:Zhentil a change will be coming to RW.
the DM's asked for it a while ago.
We just haven't' gotten around to implementing it.

Also, are you sure RW are KOS?
I haven't heard that one, but I'm not always 100% up to speed on every rule.
What kind of change ? :D
Bragon Stonebender of the Ironfaars - Bodyguard
Donovan Felwithe - Arcanist Extraordinaire
Mordec Ravenblade - Plunderin' midget
Luna
Retired Admin
Posts: 7945
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Question about Red Wizard levels on non Thayan PC's

Unread post by Luna »

Laenor wrote:What kind of change ? :D
You'll get a big tattoo on your face so everyone knows what you are! :twisted:

Return to “Questions for DMs”