Greater Fireburst and other spells.

Have a question to the staff? Post it here.

Moderators: DM Arkanis, Moderator, DM

User avatar
Blackrose
Recognized Donor
Posts: 84
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:21 pm

Greater Fireburst and other spells.

Unread post by Blackrose »

I read about the Fireburst spell, looks like we have now a decent spell for high levels! Thanks for that.

Unfortnally it is not working quite right. Examinating the spell it says: "1d8 damage for each caster level" and then "Maximum of 21d8" (it was 15d8 maximum at other versions).
But still, I noted when I cast it, my maximum damage is 128, wich is level 16 of spellcaster, and I am level 17 of it. The Spell maximized should be 136.

What's going on?

(Doing this topic I thought about the possibility of the caster level in Scholar of Candlekeep Prestige class changed as the same way Greater Fireburst did.
My character is 14 Wizard/3 Arcane Scholar.)
Graax, Necromancer Drow
Ul'Dragaz, half drow
Luna
Retired Admin
Posts: 7945
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Greater Fireburst and other spells.

Unread post by Luna »

Hmm, I'm not sure Blackrose.

I re-checked the spell. It did have this problem maybe 4-6 weeks ago.
It definitely looks capped at 21.
I'm not sure though why you would get 1 less level than your caster level.
User avatar
Blackrose
Recognized Donor
Posts: 84
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:21 pm

Re: Greater Fireburst and other spells.

Unread post by Blackrose »

The monster that I was killing had 128 hp, that's why I was dealing that damage. I cheked in a higher hp boss and it is normal. My mistake.
Graax, Necromancer Drow
Ul'Dragaz, half drow
kewell1000
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:55 am

Re: Greater Fireburst and other spells.

Unread post by kewell1000 »

Luna wrote:Hmm, I'm not sure Blackrose.

I re-checked the spell. It did have this problem maybe 4-6 weeks ago.
It definitely looks capped at 21.
I'm not sure though why you would get 1 less level than your caster level.
I actually have the same issue (guess it's not my issue then ;) )
I'm level 13 and it max out at 96 (12d8)
So one level less than my class level.

The character is Wizard 5, Arcane Scholar 7, Pale Master 1.
All should grant a caster level adding up to 13.
Valkana Maijere
Jenna Valarious
Jaya Valen
Liliana Valen

Return to “Questions for DMs”