Carebear is here to make your gaming experience (hopefully) more interesting and immersing.
I prefer providing slow-paced, highly interactive dungeon crawling experience for any type of adventuring group (or single character, for that matter) rather than mindless hack'n'slash with l33t stuff in the end.
General tips on how to behave if you happen to find yourself in my event:
Maecius wrote: RULES: I try not to be too strict when it comes to my own, personal rules of play. I want you to be flexible, to come up with your own ways of solving the problems I place before you, and to interact with the environment as you feel your character would. But there are three central points that I feel are very important, and which I must insist you take note of when you are interacting with me in one of my events:
The Golden Rule: I expect players to treat each other civilly, even when they don't particularly like one another. Ideally we'll all get along, but even if some of us do not, player-to-player cruelty or harassment will absolutely not be tolerated by either myself or by the others on staff. Remember that this is a game, and we are all playing it to relax and enjoy ourselves: The moment things become too heated between players (as opposed to their characters), I will intervene. If you are at fault, you will not be happy with my intervention.
Creative Solutions Create Great Roleplay: Roleplaying is collaborative storytelling, and I refuse to have my own storytelling hobbled by the limitations of a video game. I highly encourage you to interact to the situations I place before you with your own, creative, in-character solutions: If you wish to dive into the river to get away from someone -- do it. If you wish to cast a spell that isn't available to you in-game, but that exists in the D&D source material, and that your character has adequate cause to have access to -- do it. If you wish to climb a tree to get a better view of your surroundings -- do it (but be prepared to roll some strength, and, or, dexterity checks). In short, don't let the game stop your brain; approach everything as would your character.
The "No Sleeping While Slaying" Law: I ask that players do not rest during my events, except when I explicitly give you permission to do so. I feel that resting regularly during an event not only ruins the immersion, but also limits (if not entirely eliminates) the possibility of roleplaying certain situations (exhaustion and injury; healing by bandage or spell; etc.) and sidelines the importance of certain classes (particularly noncaster classes). Resting without permission will be punished with an experience penalty.
A few gameplay notes:
- Do not rush in OOC manner. I am a slow typer and I am still quite new to the DM client and all those yummy DMFI features, so I humbly request players to bear with me (pun not intended). You want your character to charge across the entire map? Or burst in a room Rambo-style? Emote it and wait for my tell before taking ~any~ gameplay actions. Similarly, please, avoid using transitions unless asked.
- Do not make ~any~ rolls unless I have requested them. It clutters the chatbox badly. I will, generally, take a look at your character's sheet and determine if the roll is necessary at all.
If I did request a roll and you haven't recieved any feedback from me, it means that you have failed the DC and didn't perceive anything out of ordinary.
Also, of special note are skills 'Listen' and 'Spot'. If I spawn an NPC right in front of you or if I emote that your party is hearing something, it means that you already have succeeded the DC (if there even was one) and you, absolutely, do ~not~ need to roll skills in that case to determine whether your character perceives it or not.