Greetings! While you are in my events, I'd like you to follow the following simple steps. I know, I also stole them from Maecius' post, but he wrote it so well and everyone's doing it, and it's so accurate! So don't blame me!
MISSION: My mission, as a DM, is very simple: I seek to bring the world of Baldur's Gate: The Sword Coast Chronicles to life for as many players as I am able. To this end, I will be running small "flavor" encounters -- interspersing Forgotten Realms lore and history into the encounter as I am able -- just as often as I will be running large events.
Do not be surprised if you run into a small group of bandits seeking shelter from the rain in a cave on one of your adventures; or a traveling ranger out in the woods; or a drunken brawl in one of the inns or taverns. I feel that these small encounters will do as much to bring the world alive for the players as will my larger, more player-centric "events."
And that, ultimately, is my goal as a DM: To create a more reactive and more real environment for you, the player.
RULES: I try not to be too strict when it comes to my own, personal rules of play. I want you to be flexible, to come up with your own ways of solving the problems I place before you, and to interact with the environment as you feel your character would. But there are three central points that I feel are very important, and which I must insist you take note of when you are interacting with me in one of my events:
The Golden Rule: I expect players to treat each other civilly, even when they don't particularly like one another. Ideally we'll all get along, but even if some of us do not, player-to-player cruelty or harassment will absolutely not be tolerated by either myself or by the others on staff. Remember that this is a game, and we are all playing it to relax and enjoy ourselves: The moment things become too heated between players (as opposed to their characters), I will intervene. If you are at fault, you will not be happy with my intervention.
Creative Solutions Create Great Roleplay: Roleplaying is collaborative storytelling, and I refuse to have my own storytelling hobbled by the limitations of a video game. I highly encourage you to interact to the situations I place before you with your own, creative, in-character solutions: If you wish to dive into the river to get away from someone -- do it. If you wish to cast a spell that isn't available to you in-game, but that exists in the D&D source material, and that your character has adequate cause to have access to -- do it. If you wish to climb a tree to get a better view of your surroundings -- do it (but be prepared to roll some strength, and, or, dexterity checks). In short, don't let the game stop your brain; approach everything as would your character.
The "No Sleeping While Slaying" Law: I ask that players do not rest during my events, except when I explicitly give you permission to do so. I feel that resting regularly during an event not only ruins the immersion, but also limits (if not entirely eliminates) the possibility of roleplaying certain situations (exhaustion and injury; healing by bandage or spell; etc.) and sidelines the importance of certain classes (particularly noncaster classes). Resting without permission will be punished with an experience penalty.
Partying, so I can follow!: Sometimes I will not be near your group in my events. DMs need to go further and prepare things, so speaking in party chat is recomanded so I can follow your RP. Also, if you roll a skill, notify me by sending me a tell.
CONCLUSION: In conclusion, I hope to bring the world to life in three ways: By providing small, unexpected encounters to individual players and groups; By providing events and quests that people can involve themselves in; And by providing story arcs that are tailor-made to individual player characters.
In exchange, I expect you to respect your fellow players; to remember that this is a game and we're all playing it to have fun; and to respect the rules of the server and the community. If you can do these three things, we will get along great!
DM Passiflora's events.
Moderators: Moderator, DM
-
Passiflora
- Posts: 2230
- Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:47 pm
- Location: In the land of dreams which never happens.
DM Passiflora's events.
Go home and be a familly cat!
-
Passiflora
- Posts: 2230
- Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:47 pm
- Location: In the land of dreams which never happens.
Re: DM Passiflora's events.
It's a trap!
While fighting lizardmans within the cloakwoods, the dwarf brothers Gorge and Frumpkin Firebeard were attacked by a group of zombies. Seeing this as unusual, they started to investigate the area as the sun went to rest. They stumbled upon a big fight between lizards and undeads, and rushed in. Meanwhile, Nathaniel Collins managed to kill a fleeing lizardman and then heard the fight. He managed to find the emplacement, kill the last remaining creatures, and provide healing to both dwarves.
After a moment, a feminine laugh could be heard. They chased the voice for some time in the cloakwood, though as the sun was about to rise, the laughing fled to a cave's direction. They entered the cave and ventured in, finding an oposition of undead force they couldn't match. While trying to flee, a female vampire appeared near the exit, calling them her playtoys, and inviting them to stay for further enjoyment. The group, severly harmed, decided to flee. Gorge, Frumpkin's brother, was killed during the attempt. Outside, Frumpkin thought a moment and remembered that usually, vampires hide in a coffin during daytime. They decided to wait outside for some time, healing up, and hoping that the dwarf's corpse would still be intact.
The group of heroes, with Ovik Slaat'Va and Natalya Snowraven as remfort, managed to find Gorge's body inside the cave and bring him out, where he got resurected. The group then decided to leave the creature be, as it was now daylight and heading further into the cave would be suicidal. Lesson well learned.
XP awards: Natalya Snowraven, Nathaniel Collins, Ovik Slaat'Va, Gorge Firebeard, Frumpkin Firebeard.
Go home and be a familly cat!