What's with the AC bonus on the mage robes?

Have a question to the staff? Post it here.

Moderators: DM Arkanis, Moderator, DM

kewell1000
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:55 am

What's with the AC bonus on the mage robes?

Unread post by kewell1000 »

I've had this minor question on my mind for some time now.

I just don't understand why there are AC armor bonus on mage robes?
Every single level 5 mage (sorcerer lvl6) have Improved Mage armor which grants +6 to AC. No robe ever gives that high an AC bonus which makes the armor bonus on the robe useless.

I first read about the Black Robe of the Archmagi, Epic at the Auction forum and after reading the title it's like I MUST HAVE sort of feeling.
People are crazed to get it yet it's actually pretty poor imo.

The stats are:
+4 AC (Armor)
+1 Universal save
Bonus Feat: Spell Penetration
SR: 20

As mentioned the AC bonus is useless for any mage even Gishes and this robe is NOT designed for Gishes imo. It’s the purest dark wizard you can imagine.
The +1 universal save is decent. So is the Spell Penetration feat if you're not a Red Wizard but the SR of 20 is also useless as this is a high level item and at that point SR 20 will be rather useless.

So what am I missing here? Does it have some other appearence looks than other Robes or what's the appeal besides the name?

I've seen the AC bonus on most other mage robes too and simply don't get them. Every mage casts (or should) Improved mage armor just after they've rested which gives them a constant +6 bonus to armor AC.

Interesting abilities on Mage robes are things like spell slots, Saves, higher HP bonus, Strong protective spells per/day casts like improved mage armor. Perhaps Int bonus too as it grants bonus spells (not for the DC as a mage can cast Fox Cunning).

And then I would really like to see some more interesting robes, staffs and other mages gear at the High Hedge Wizard.
Bonus slots to higher spell levels than 3 would also be a nice addition to the mage stores as well. After all you can buy +3 gear in many shops and the bonus slots should be of an equal power level which I think is level 5-6.

There are way too little EQ for mages around. And please let's get rid of the Wizard/Sorcerer items. Make one of each; a Wizard itemand a Sorcerer item. ;)

This was a bit longer than anticipated but my mind kept racing….. or something like that :D
Valkana Maijere
Jenna Valarious
Jaya Valen
Liliana Valen
Luna
Retired Admin
Posts: 7945
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: What's with the AC bonus on the mage robes?

Unread post by Luna »

Other classes can use it with UMD.
So classes that don't want to wear armor.

And it's always nice to have the AC bonus in case you run out of spells, or your buffs get dispelled.
User avatar
Lockonnow
Posts: 3122
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:10 pm

Re: What's with the AC bonus on the mage robes?

Unread post by Lockonnow »

Luna can ill talking about my wish staffs hmm this staff of luna whit magical wfx and a staff of sonic whit wfx or a spell could be nice to
BlueHero45
Recognized Donor
Posts: 1208
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 12:48 am
Location: PA

Re: What's with the AC bonus on the mage robes?

Unread post by BlueHero45 »

There are mages that can't use Imp Mage Armor due to school focus.
Rhys Feivra-Sun elf, wizard


I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.
Edgar Allan Poe
kewell1000
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:55 am

Re: What's with the AC bonus on the mage robes?

Unread post by kewell1000 »

Luna wrote:Other classes can use it with UMD.
So classes that don't want to wear armor.

And it's always nice to have the AC bonus in case you run out of spells, or your buffs get dispelled.
True.
Though the Dispel is something you need to avoid all together in order to survive but I guess it helps. I always keep a regular Mage armor memorized if I'm caught by a surprise dispel but this way you don't have to cast it.
Still doesn't answer my question as to why people are so interested in it.

Other classes might be interested in it though as you suggest but that's really a shame as this should be THE item for mages and not melee combat minded characters.
But I guess I'm just old fashioned that way :D.

But thanks for the reply on an indifferent question.
Valkana Maijere
Jenna Valarious
Jaya Valen
Liliana Valen
Therlyn
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:05 pm

Re: What's with the AC bonus on the mage robes?

Unread post by Therlyn »

Specialist can consider ruling out conjuration so no improved mage armor.
Think of Transmutation/Evocation/Abjuration for both RP and build ruling out some schools isn't a bad idea.
In those cases the AC is welcome, that and what Luna said you can get dispelled.

I do think the loot table can be cleared up if you combine some sorcerer/wizard items.
Maybe not the stat ones but just the 'gives spell slot ' there are a lot out there.

About the black robe, well the stats aren't stunning for most mages but many items aren't great.

4AC: Welcome
1 US: Decent
Bonus feat: I would consider picking this up as mage anyway.
SR: Not bad.
Simian
Posts: 1439
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:42 am
Location: On a Journey to the West

Re: What's with the AC bonus on the mage robes?

Unread post by Simian »

Duelists and monks, as long as they have the UMD for it. (Having such robes frees their bracer slot of the Blindingspeed bracers, which is far more important for monks than it is to Duelists.)
"Qítiān Dàshèng (齊天大聖)"

"I warrant your attention?! Oh frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"

Return to “Questions for DMs”