few magical questions

Have a question to the staff? Post it here.

Moderators: DM Arkanis, Moderator, DM

matnow
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:23 pm
Location: Poland/Great Britain

few magical questions

Unread post by matnow »

1. What determines the death touch attack of palemaster? ( that is probably xdc + charimsa modifier + palemaster's level)
Also, does this skill applies to both charisma (sorcerer) and inteligence (wizard).

2. Does the frost mage cold spells overcome the immunity to cold (class gained as magical ones), as well as elemental protection and spell shields like Globe of Invulnerability and Greater magic ... (forgot name, its among level 9 spells, I guess).

3. Does casting eemental shield on yourself reduces your cold immunity to 50%?

4 How spell protection spells work? For example a mage who casted on himself Globe of Invulnerability (1-4 temporary spell protection) and Greater magic (sth:P) that has overal protection until the points are used. So someone casts a spell of 1-4 lvl, will it be negated by the globe or will the magic shield waste points to protect him from it, even though he has temporary immunity granted from other protection spell.
Luna
Retired Admin
Posts: 7945
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: few magical questions

Unread post by Luna »

*approved for replies*
Larzs
Posts: 439
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:27 pm
Location: A vast corn field

Re: few magical questions

Unread post by Larzs »

matnow wrote:1. What determines the death touch attack of palemaster? ( that is probably xdc + charimsa modifier + palemaster's level)
Also, does this skill applies to both charisma (sorcerer) and inteligence (wizard).
Shame...it seems it is just set to 16 in NwN2...
In pnp, the pale master's touch attack has a DC of 10 + palemaster level + cha mod. In NWN2 it is set to about a DC of 16.
Pale Master
matnow wrote:4 How spell protection spells work? For example a mage who casted on himself Globe of Invulnerability (1-4 temporary spell protection) and Greater magic (sth:P) that has overal protection until the points are used. So someone casts a spell of 1-4 lvl, will it be negated by the globe or will the magic shield waste points to protect him from it, even though he has temporary immunity granted from other protection spell.
I am sure that Protection From Spells does nothing for granting any kind of real immunity to spell(s) it just add a big bonus to Saves Vs. Spells. +8 and then as the higher level you get it affect more people. I think anyways XD
Zlaayer
Posts: 1155
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:49 am
Location: California

Re: few magical questions

Unread post by Zlaayer »

I'd like to know the nuances regarding the Frost Mage class as well. For instance, does a Frost Mage have the ability to block another Frost Mage's cold spells? I mean, one is immune to cold, and the other bypasses all cold resistances and immunities right?

I imagine that nothing bypasses a spell mantle or a globe of invulnerability. If it does then it's broken and it needs to be fixed. Sometimes spell mantles do some strange things though. Take warlock for example, a warlock's highest level incantation only takes like three or four of the protections off of a spell mantle. *shrug* Something tells me that Epic Spells will bypass spell mantles though.
Durl'daerton - Drow Wizard
Attreus
- Knight Commander - Killed in Action
Luthian Black - Not your friend. (Retired)
Drakov Morcane - Red Wizard

Perception is reality.
matnow
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:23 pm
Location: Poland/Great Britain

Re: few magical questions

Unread post by matnow »

Zlaayer wrote:I'd like to know the nuances regarding the Frost Mage class as well. For instance, does a Frost Mage have the ability to block another Frost Mage's cold spells? I mean, one is immune to cold, and the other bypasses all cold resistances and immunities right?
good point, actually didn't think about it but now I am curious as well but... I think the situation may be that both frost mages take cold damage from themselves, what sounds ridiculous - it all depends on scripts

Still my questions were not fully answered. And thanks Zlaayer: spell mantle and the globe of invulnerability are those spells I would like to know the cooperation and as asked how the cold spells casted by frost mage bypass them, "if"

About the palemaster touch death attack if it goes by max dc 16 it seems to suck like nothing else and is rather show off, low level killing players/mobs. However I think to get this ability you would need to have 16 character level (if I am not wrong: 6 wizard/sorcerer for level 3 arcane spells and all the way to palemaster, level 10). In fact using this ability to 16 level mobs/ players with the wonderful dc of 16 max ( it could go 7 in worst situation) is most likely to fail all the time. (also 16 is nothing, comparing to what it could be if it worked properly, only from basic DC of 10 + pelemaster level maxed you would get 20 and if it worked with charisma/inteligence modifier it would look like sth more useful)
Also I am kinda schocked by not including inteligence instead of charisma due to availability of this class to both sorcerer and wizard...
User avatar
Rasael
Retired Staff
Posts: 8096
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Leiden, Netherlands

Re: few magical questions

Unread post by Rasael »

1 and 2. A frost mage should penetrate another frost mage's immunity, that's what his frost attack does, penetrate resistances. Immunity from frost is nothing less than 100% resistance to cold.

Actual immunities in the engine are not against damage types but against other effects such as sleep, spell(s), charm, spell schools, etc.. but not against damage types. Damage resistance is used for that.

This frost mage penetration could be changed though, likewise for the palemaster's attack though I suspect that one is balance related.

3. I think resistences stack so you'd actually get 150%. Otherwise I imagine the effect would replace the original one and you'd end up with 50%.

4. For spells I think either the first or last protection gets hit first. Probably the last one.
matnow
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:23 pm
Location: Poland/Great Britain

Re: few magical questions

Unread post by matnow »

bigman2614 wrote:hrm
thanks "bro", that helped a lot :lol:

well, anyway
Rasael wrote: 1 and 2. A frost mage should penetrate another frost mage's immunity, that's what his frost attack does, penetrate resistances. Immunity from frost is nothing less than 100% resistance to cold.

Actual immunities in the engine are not against damage types but against other effects such as sleep, spell(s), charm, spell schools, etc.. but not against damage types. Damage resistance is used for that.

This frost mage penetration could be changed though, likewise for the palemaster's attack though I suspect that one is balance related.



IMHO no matter how it is scripted so: both frost mages taking damage from cold or both not taking any, fighting with themselfes, sounds ridiculous and strange. :?
Rasael wrote: 3. I think resistences stack so you'd actually get 150%. Otherwise I imagine the effect would replace the original one and you'd end up with 50%.


Well, since I am playing the game and server for some time already I would rather suspect it is the second variant. In that case elemental shield would loose its actual point.
Rasael wrote: 4. For spells I think either the first or last protection gets hit first. Probably the last one.

Yeah, I think it is the last one, which takes the damage or effect first, so if you want to be protected from 1-4 spells no matter what and additionally be protected from the rest by spell mantle, I guess you would have to cast spell mantle and then globe of invulnerability. In fact every spell would have to be higher than 4 to be blocked by spell mantle, istead of being simply stoped by globe of invulnerability. However that is only my own suspicion and I would really like to hear the facts from people who play magical classes and tried this in battle.
Zlaayer
Posts: 1155
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:49 am
Location: California

Re: few magical questions

Unread post by Zlaayer »

matnow wrote:Yeah, I think it is the last one, which takes the damage or effect first, so if you want to be protected from 1-4 spells no matter what and additionally be protected from the rest by spell mantle, I guess you would have to cast spell mantle and then globe of invulnerability. In fact every spell would have to be higher than 4 to be blocked by spell mantle, istead of being simply stoped by globe of invulnerability. However that is only my own suspicion and I would really like to hear the facts from people who play magical classes and tried this in battle.
Spell mantle starts getting eaten up right away, and it doesn't descriminate what level the spells are. Higher level spells just eat up more of it. It kind of overlaps Globe of Invulnerability. Once the spell mantle wears off then you will be immune to the lvl 4 and lower spells.
Durl'daerton - Drow Wizard
Attreus
- Knight Commander - Killed in Action
Luthian Black - Not your friend. (Retired)
Drakov Morcane - Red Wizard

Perception is reality.
matnow
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:23 pm
Location: Poland/Great Britain

Re: few magical questions

Unread post by matnow »

should not work this way but... what can we do

Return to “Questions for DMs”