Pickpocketing is getting Rediculous !!

Have a question to the staff? Post it here.

Moderators: DM Arkanis, Moderator, DM

Luna
Retired Admin
Posts: 7945
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Pickpocketing is getting Rediculous !!

Unread post by Luna »

The log shows people pickpocketing which is fine.
They are allowed to.

But, I don't see anything out of the ordinary.
Is it still happening on a large scale?
User avatar
LISA100595
Retired Staff
Posts: 5202
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:23 pm

Re: Pickpocketing is getting Rediculous !!

Unread post by LISA100595 »

I have only noticed a sudden decrease.. maybe due to this thread?
Lady Elvina Aira-S'efarro - The Order of the Silver Rose
Salaria - Bounty Hunter half-sister of Darius Brothers
Angelina Northstar - Holy Warrior of Tyr / Knight of the Silver Rose
Matilda Stonehold - Honorable Sheild Dwarf
Loriah Swift - Morninglord of Lathander
User avatar
Rask
Recognized Donor
Posts: 512
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:34 pm
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada

Re: Pickpocketing is getting Rediculous !!

Unread post by Rask »

Luna wrote:Hi Lisa.
It appears that we have it set so that you can only pp a player once per reset.
Unless that code is not working.

The max gold isn't that much either. Maybe a few hundred.

Unless the thieves guild or some group is running around pick pocketing en mass, you shouldn't be missing that much gold.


Our system is already clamped down anyhow because we had a lot of problems like this before.
I tested it in game, script is working just fine for me.
Rennec Rokranon, Chosen of Helm, Retired for now
Isra Wynterborne, Necromancer Hunter
Rask, The Lich, Retired
S.Ravenpath, collector and author of tall tales.
Nathka Blacksand - Khazark of the Enclave
Richter Bedevere - The Reveler and enjoyer of fine wines
User avatar
Rask
Recognized Donor
Posts: 512
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:34 pm
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada

Re: Pickpocketing is getting Rediculous !!

Unread post by Rask »

Hey there was that one time my char got pick pocketted for 65k once in a freak glitch. Could that have happened here? I know the guy who did it never owned up when it happened (No way he didnt notice.) and I got refunded by DM's. How much did you lose exactly? Because on my thief the PPing is working perfectly, I PP'd my friend, and i couldnt do it again afterward.
Rennec Rokranon, Chosen of Helm, Retired for now
Isra Wynterborne, Necromancer Hunter
Rask, The Lich, Retired
S.Ravenpath, collector and author of tall tales.
Nathka Blacksand - Khazark of the Enclave
Richter Bedevere - The Reveler and enjoyer of fine wines
DM Dalped
Posts: 99
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:47 am

Re: Pickpocketing is getting Rediculous !!

Unread post by DM Dalped »

I think it is due to the pickpockets getting tired of getting caught then killed.... :lol:

EDIT:
gfya1369 wrote:ok it happened again and from the same player. Grenoire picked Salaria's pocket while she hit a transition to another hostile area. Just like that. No rp which isn't too horrible, but he did it while she had no means to defend. Even if she got a warning message she was already in midst of transition. This guy is Griefing the heck out of people with this. I am raging pissed right now. He has been targeting us since we joined the server. I am so fed up with this. For the love of God will SOMETHING be done about this???

J.

ps. sorry I am really upset.
If character selects to do a sleight of hand on another character and the target hits the transition it is an auto-fail for the thief and both will get the failed attempt message. Grenoire has also successfully picked one of my characters but, from how he did it, it was obvious what he did and he was subsequently dispatched. If you ever have issues with a character please take screen captures and send them to the DMs. It really helps us in almost all situations.
Broham2
Posts: 542
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 1:36 pm
Location: Iowa, USA

Re: Pickpocketing is getting Rediculous !!

Unread post by Broham2 »

If character selects to do a sleight of hand on another character and the target hits the transition it is an auto-fail for the thief and both will get the failed attempt message.
Was this a recent script change here on BG? Using sleight of hand on 'transitioners' was possible in the past, and often abused. If this is changed now, hurray! There were a couple of creative scoundrels in the past.

The current incarnation of pickpocket is just above kind of worthless, but truly it is probably better than our previous weight-limit PP script (in the long run).

I havent been on my pp much lately since I've been back.
Formerly DM Mayhem
RL tough guy wrote:"Watch my picture. I am a RL tough guy, and I rip people like you to shreds"
matnow
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:23 pm
Location: Poland/Great Britain

Re: Pickpocketing is getting Rediculous !!

Unread post by matnow »

Maybe it will sound funny, but did you really show some screenshots or ...
I am never developing pickpocketing, even playing int based rogue class. But I think it cannot be limited more than it is right now...
Do not get me wrong but loosing thousands seems funny, unless as people said you are constantly, every reset pickpocketed by the same group (reeeeeaaaaly huge) of people. In fact it would be strange that you are the only example of this actions around the Faerun ;)
Thus like when somebody informs dm that he lost a thing due to bug he has to show a proof. I think this requires same steps.
FairVigil
Posts: 77
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:59 pm
Location: Fortress of Solitude

Re: Pickpocketing is getting Rediculous !!

Unread post by FairVigil »

Serenity now. lets not overeact on this. pp already sucks huge and i cant help but feel it was because of this type of thread.

also, pick pocket is an automated action so doesnt that mean the game is acting out the role for you needing little to no extra rp? or am i to assume you emote each blade swing and deflected blow with the appropriate rp?

If there was a no suggestions until you have a level 30 rule not only would that promote better understanding but even i wouldnt be able to say a thing and i sit on my hands alot in these convos because the whole thread seems ridiculous no disrespect to the op. Just understand the admin arent idiots and have some understanding of running the server. Also we are lucky enough to be the recipients of many others work who have came and gone.
User avatar
Blackman D
Retired Staff
Posts: 4818
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:43 am
Location: IL

Re: Pickpocketing is getting Rediculous !!

Unread post by Blackman D »

PP can take anywhere from 80-150g

its only once a reset

the transition thing, ive run after people invis tryin to take their lunch money and missed and they started to go to the trans, from what ive noticed IF you catch them before they trans you still steal, if you dont catch them before they trans you steal from nothing and it fails

so if you catch them it will look normal in the log, but if you dont it looks like:

player: SoH: *success* (## + ## = ## vs DC:20)
SoH *success*
player: SoH: *success* (## + ## = ## vs DC:20)
_: spot: *failure* (## + -1 = ## vs DC: ##)

the _ is the lack of a name since you didnt catch them and the -1 is the mod for 8 wis since thats starting stats
everyone is evil till proven otherwise
TalonofWindspeak
Posts: 153
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:07 pm

Re: Pickpocketing is getting Rediculous !!

Unread post by TalonofWindspeak »

Just something to keep in mind, coming out of a transition, due to lag and what not it takes a few seconds for all the scripts and such to be applied, you can often hear the music and noise from the area before the screen and map are loaded. At this point all kinds of strange things can happen. I have pointed this out before. If this is happening to you as you come out of a transition (getting PP for over the server limit), I can bet this is what is happening and purely an exploit - get out the ban hammersmith.

There is also a bug, glitch, or exploit that allows PP to take items from a barter window. Had this happen to me once on another server, where a script was supposed to be in place to control only gold removal at set amounts per X time period. Watched several nice gems go poof, poof, from my barter window, before I could close it. It was a pair of thieves working in unison, one Hipsed and the other a decoy asking to trade or buy gems. I later pretty much figured this out when I flipped out RP wise, the guy un-Hipsed and started chuckling at my Half-Orc taking a freaking flip :lol: . Needless to say I chose the right time to RP rant about the culprit(s) in a public place and they were ruined. The thieves guild wanted me dead on the server but I was a member of the guards, so basically they were done as thieves, their covers were exposed. Sure I was pissed, but I got my revenge. Never got bothered again. :twisted:
I would rather be free to hate... than a prisoner of love...

Sly- House Khaliizin (non-noble)
Inthuusol - young phaern, Sly's oldest son...
Mili Zirah - adventurer, axe for hire, Clan Shieldbreaker, Trademaster - Seventh Circle
Snapha Khaliizin - in training for house duties...
mdchrist
Posts: 90
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:48 pm
Location: Tampa, FL

Re: Pickpocketing is getting Rediculous !!

Unread post by mdchrist »

Hey i'm all for Pping its part of the game so if it happens congrats for picking my pocket =), but i do wanna know is "gold" the only thing that should be pickpocketed just recently had two potions takin at once, and about i think a week ago, a vial of black lotus poison. Now i don't mind getting pickpocketed like i said, just wanted to confirm that its all part of it, makes me worried a weapon may disappear one day a little haha :P.
Terayz *writing another tale*
Melverians *heads always in a book*
Buppi = ???
Drem Carrent *7th rep for the svirf*
Floggy Drunkbin *his name says it all*
Azin'bel Fre'tona *looks dumbfoundly about*
BlueHero45
Recognized Donor
Posts: 1208
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 12:48 am
Location: PA

Re: Pickpocketing is getting Rediculous !!

Unread post by BlueHero45 »

mdchrist wrote:Hey i'm all for Pping its part of the game so if it happens congrats for picking my pocket =), but i do wanna know is "gold" the only thing that should be pickpocketed just recently had two potions takin at once, and about i think a week ago, a vial of black lotus poison. Now i don't mind getting pickpocketed like i said, just wanted to confirm that its all part of it, makes me worried a weapon may disappear one day a little haha :P.
No, Pickpockets does not work on items. Items disappearing is a known bug, just screenshot it and send to a Dm for a replacement.
Rhys Feivra-Sun elf, wizard


I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.
Edgar Allan Poe
gelatoghost
Posts: 99
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:39 pm
Location: Oregon

Re: Pickpocketing is getting Rediculous !!

Unread post by gelatoghost »

My two cents,

I think, ethics in mind, whether someone is losing 50 gold per day or 1,000, if someone is camping out on a transition point to a hostile area and PPing everyone that comes through, that seems wrong to me. I don't think it's griefing, but I do think it's bad form since some people take over a minute to load screens and they wouldn't have a chance to respond should they normally easily feel or spot someone pickpocketing them.

It's like a cheap, OOC form of pickpocketing.
Mas'vyl & Beltree Xarran - Active
Ceres Gysse'lylth - Active
Meric Marshellow - Shelved
Cassia Panima - Shelved.
Maeda - Shelved.
Eifer
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:28 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Pickpocketing is getting Rediculous !!

Unread post by Eifer »

I have a related question; I also have seen the same pickpocketing behaviors occur, but I am unsure how to document it given the nature of the behavior. For example, how do I properly document a player running up to a transition point again and again while other players are loading into the area, in order to pickpocket them while they are OOCly helpless to move away? It seems like that would be difficult to record properly to get a full context of the situation, unless I had some video-capture system, which seems much more cumbersome than screenshots alone.

The question goes for how I might document a player running up to another toon suddenly in order to get close enough to pickpocket, and then quickly running away, while ICly the victim toon would have not allowed the other player close enough to pickpocket them without entering into some sort of PvP arrangement, or at least RP arrangement in any case. In such a case, screenshots seem rather insufficient because there are no tells, nothing in combat log, et cetera. Because of the speed at which this happens even a video-capture system seems lacking because by the time the offense occurs, there is no record of such infraction occurring.

I myself and I believe many other players are irritated at the continued behaviors, as they do seem so quite OOC in nature and detract from RP. I would appreciate any advice as to how to go about providing documentation of these behaviors.
~Elycia Innovius, Reader of Candlekeep, Bardess of the Performer's Guild, and Editor of the Baldur's Gate Gazette.
Leo
Posts: 98
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:07 am

Re: Pickpocketing is getting Rediculous !!

Unread post by Leo »

My advice would be to notify a DM about said behaviour if any are present at the time. If no, then try to remember when and where exactly the said behavior did occur. Because it is not impossible to get logs about all registered actions in the area if you have sufficient rights. It's just there is sometimes that many of them that knowing exact time would be good. You can also try to get support from the victims of said "OOC pickpocketing".

Return to “Questions for DMs”