Druid talk while wildshaped

Have a question to the staff? Post it here.

Moderators: DM Arkanis, Moderator, DM

Bulldog241
Posts: 204
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:05 am

Druid talk while wildshaped

Unread post by Bulldog241 »

Hello! I've got an RP question for the DM's. I know that while a druid is wildshaped they can't speak common (obviously). But what about the druidic language? It's how they speak TO animals (if I understand correctly), therefore you'd think they would be able to make similar sounds while they are shape shifted. So can you speak in Druid while in the shape of a bear (for instance)?

Also, what about if you have the natural spell feat? That allows you to cast while in wildshape which means they must be able to talk (otherwise how can they cast a spell with a VERBAL component?). Does having this feat let you speak in common while in a wildshape? Or do you still have to stick to druidic only?

One last question, what about elementals and trenants (sp? the tree guys). I have NO idea if they even have mouths. Can you speak at ALL while in those forms, even if you have the natural spell feat?

Sorry for the large # of questions, but I want to make sure I've got my druid RP down ok. Thus far I have the natural spell feat and I've been talking in Druidic while wildshaped, but NEVER in common. I've been acting like I can't speak common when in a bear/cat/wolf form. BUT.....I'm not 100% sure if I'm being too strict (meaning I should be able to talk in common) OR if I'm being too lax (meaning even with natural spell I can't even talk in Druidic). I also have no idea what to do once I can turn into elementals, spiders, ect.

Thanks for any responses! :)
"I have no idea what weapons World War 3 will be fought with, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones." ~Albert Einstein
User avatar
Maecius
Retired Admin
Posts: 11639
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 4:24 pm

Re: Druid talk while wildshaped

Unread post by Maecius »

1.) Druidic doesn't allow druids to speak to animals. Rather, it's a secret language known only among druids themselves:
A druid also knows Druidic, a secret language known only to druids, which she learns upon becoming a 1st-level druid. Druidic is a free language for a druid; that is, she knows it in addition to her regular allotment of languages and it doesn’t take up a language slot. Druids are forbidden to teach this language to nondruids.

Druidic has its own alphabet.
To speak with animals, druids (and rangers and bards) have a spell named (creatively enough) "Speak with Animals." (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/speakWithAnimals.htm)

2.) The natural spell feat allows you to cast spells without using the normal verbal and somatic components. Rather, according to the feat's description:
You substitute various noises and gestures for the normal verbal and somatic components of a spell.
So you're basically making animal noises and shifts of the head or flicks of the tail to cast.

3.) Treants can speak common in the Lore, so you can speak while in treant form. Elementals speak the elemental languages (auran, aquan, ignan, and terran), but "rarely choose to do so." Does this mean they could vocalize in the common tongue if they wanted? I really don't know. Judgment call there, I guess. I'm going to say "probably," since in-game those languages are vocalized and not based on gestures or something else.

Return to “Questions for DMs”