Roll of "1" auto-failures?

Have a question to the staff? Post it here.

Moderators: DM Arkanis, Moderator, DM

Ivy Vain
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:01 pm

Roll of "1" auto-failures?

Unread post by Ivy Vain »

So I've been fighting the Umber Hulks quite a bit and I've been noticing that rolls of 1 vs their gaze doesn't end in the result expected.

I've failed it quite a few times now with a roll of 1. I actually see the message that I failed it, however, nothing happens. I don't get confused.

Now if I were immune, I should get some kind of immunity message shouldn't I? I don't.

I'll explain it a little more thoroughly. The DC for the gaze is 16. For Truly Horrids, it's 17. My sv bonus is 17. Which means numerically, I can never fail sans some outside force lowering my sv. Nevertheless, a roll of "1" should autofail regardless.

Epic resilience is on the table as something I might go after. From the results above, the only conclusion I have been able to come to is that 1's don't autofail on this server. I don't want to waste a feat on something everyone already gets as a server setting benefit.

So my questions are...

1. Can someone give me an explanation as to why I'm not getting confused with a roll of 1?

2. Can someone tell me whether or not rolls of 1 are set to auto-fail on this server?
User avatar
Passiflora
Posts: 2230
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:47 pm
Location: In the land of dreams which never happens.

Re: Roll of "1" auto-failures?

Unread post by Passiflora »

Did you have a protection from evil spell or any other buff enabled?

Rolls of 1, when you don't have a feat saying otherwise, are an automatic fail here, for both saving throws and attack rolls (not skills).
Go home and be a familly cat!
DM Fugue
Posts: 1112
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:39 am
Location: The Fudge Land

Re: Roll of "1" auto-failures?

Unread post by DM Fugue »

Do you have steadfast determination by any chance ?
And though I played the role,
I lost my soul, it's still within your heart.
It took a part of me, the heart of me..
To watch it fade away, It's over now..
Shades of blue and purple haunt me..

Return to “Questions for DMs”