Any need for weapons or Items

Asset Information and Discussion for Scripting, Area Design, and More

Moderators: Moderator, Developer, DM

breteas
Posts: 1444
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:15 am

Re: Any need for weapons or Items

Unread post by breteas »

Well, I could not -stand- the horrible, horrible, texture used on the previous version. So, I painted a new one. I also made a base model to work off, so right now, I can make new stalagmites/stalactites in about 3 minutes. :D

Image

The model has about 160 poly's, uses a 512x512 dds texture, and can be tinted.
If needed, I can also create a high poly version, so the model can be scaled to humongous sizes if needed. That model will be around 700 poly's.

So err..

How many different Stalagmites do you want? 8-)

Ps: I'll be making 3 more alternate textures, so there can be even more variation if needed. Will be little trouble now.
breteas
Posts: 1444
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:15 am

Re: Any need for weapons or Items

Unread post by breteas »

lol Apparently BG players have a dirty mind. I'll make sure to get rid of the resemblance to a certain bodypart then. *Shakes head.* :lol:
User avatar
Passiflora
Posts: 2230
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:47 pm
Location: In the land of dreams which never happens.

Re: Any need for weapons or Items

Unread post by Passiflora »

LOL

That's just hilarious.
Go home and be a familly cat!
c2k
Posts: 1230
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 7:29 pm

Re: Any need for weapons or Items

Unread post by c2k »

Whenever a company gives the public the ability to create custom content within their game, there will always be someone who creates something phallic. :lol:


P.S. I know that wasn't your intent though. ;)
breteas
Posts: 1444
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:15 am

Re: Any need for weapons or Items

Unread post by breteas »

I'm really not seeing the resemblance. Honest. :lol:
breteas
Posts: 1444
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:15 am

Re: Any need for weapons or Items

Unread post by breteas »

Steve, read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S3TC

On compression being used.
mar3usmc
Retired Staff
Posts: 663
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:53 am

Re: Any need for weapons or Items

Unread post by mar3usmc »

(Reply to Breatas also posted here for others to comment on.)

More specifically, we need stalactites, the ones that hang from ceilings.

Also, do you have a UD PC. If not, just make up a quick one just for development purposes.... or ... hmmmm, one sec.

This should give you an idea of what builders currently have to build with with regards to Drow cities,
Image

That is it. Those 12 objects. That is what Sshamath is primarily composed of that are Drow specific, especially that center Drow house. None of the objects shown are tintable. What I would love to see is a version of that center object, but in stalactite form, hanging from ceiling, rather than stalagmite form, as this one is in. Many of the most prominent "buildings" in Sshamath are stalactites, not stalagmites.

The Drow stone shape the natural structures in caverns to produce the homes and the unique architecture common to many Drow cities. I would like to see many more variations of the objects in that print screen. Note also the hovel like homes at the bottom.

However, not sure if you can do this, but I wish there was a specific tileset for the insides of a Drow structure. It would be cave-like, but unnatural looking. Something like this would be much much better than any tileset currently used for the insides of Drow structures. Currently, they make ZERO sense. Only a couple tilesets get close, but they tend to be grandeur in fashion with huge tall ceilings, etc... The master floor of the School of Necromancy is a good example of the former, but even that isn't even close to how Drow structures should look internally. Things like the new sewer system could also use a more magical stone shaped feel vs. a Dwarf brick by brick feel.

If possible, think modular. Perhaps many LEGO like pieces that can be put together to produce many many variations of structures, some large, some fortress-like, some small, etc... Then all a build has to do is piece them together to his liking and perhaps set up prefabs to share to all. This gives a builder much more versatility. So we basically need, or perhaps want, pieces that can construct Column, Stalagmite, and Stalactite structures along with pieces that seem to naturally connect them (note the one and only stone bridge next to the massive columns in that picture). Tintable is preferred, of course.

Sorry if this is all a bit much, but that is really what is needed to build a proper looking Drow city with a bit more variation than what we currently have.
I'm the guy that kills you by using your own greed and stupidity against you while making you laugh about it.
Enjoy!
c2k
Posts: 1230
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 7:29 pm

Re: Any need for weapons or Items

Unread post by c2k »

I'm not good with modeling, but Stalactites would seem like a more advanced project to tackle than stalagmites. You would need to account for the open space below it and then have it coincide with the ceiling that you can see if you walk around in Character Mode. You just can't attach them to the ceiling because they need to be able to be linked to walk meshes and such.

If anyone can do this, I think it would be awesome and would definitely flesh out the UD. But, as I said, this looks like a tough task to perform.
breteas
Posts: 1444
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:15 am

Re: Any need for weapons or Items

Unread post by breteas »

Pm-d to builders:
More specifically, we need stalactites, the ones that hang from ceilings.
- I'll make a few out of one piece (For quick spamming).
- Some that are modular (3 sections, should give plenty of variety).
- I'll export them both hanging and standing, easy enough.
None of the objects shown are tintable.
- Everthing I plan to make will be tintable. It's rather easy to make a tint map, and the benefit is great. No worries.
I would like to see many more variations of the objects in that print screen. Note also the hovel like homes at the bottom.
- Alright, next up: houses. Same story as the other model. I'll make one base model, that can be easily edited.
However, not sure if you can do this, but I wish there was a specific tileset for the insides of a Drow structure. It would be cave-like, but unnatural looking.
- This can be done, however I need to figure out how. Since the things mentioned above are something I can do right now, I'll focus on that 1st?
Things like the new sewer system could also use a more magical stone shaped feel vs. a Dwarf brick by brick feel.
- Same story as the drow tileset.
breteas
Posts: 1444
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:15 am

Re: Any need for weapons or Items

Unread post by breteas »

c2k wrote:I'm not good with modeling, but Stalactites would seem like a more advanced project to tackle than stalagmites. You would need to account for the open space below it and then have it coincide with the ceiling that you can see if you walk around in Character Mode. You just can't attach them to the ceiling because they need to be able to be linked to walk meshes and such.
Actually, as far as I know, all I need to do is delete the walk mesh part of a model. I'll test this today.
breteas
Posts: 1444
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:15 am

Re: Any need for weapons or Items

Unread post by breteas »

Yup, deleted walkmesh part to save space, convert to environment object, done.

Image
breteas
Posts: 1444
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:15 am

Re: Any need for weapons or Items

Unread post by breteas »

Any links to images showing drow architecture would be appreciated. ;)
User avatar
Rasael
Retired Staff
Posts: 8096
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Leiden, Netherlands

Re: Any need for weapons or Items

Unread post by Rasael »

If you're interested we might also have use for Holy / Unholy Symbols that players can equip in their offhand slot. I think they'd hold them like a shortsword or dagger.
breteas
Posts: 1444
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:15 am

Re: Any need for weapons or Items

Unread post by breteas »

This is what I found so far:

http://kismetrose.com/dnd/images/drow1600.jpg
http://www.artofhagan.com/images/DND_DrowCity.jpg
http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs49/f/2009/ ... erlkir.jpg
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_LP7ttS7niU4/S ... d+drow.jpg


So.. Err. Curiously, most of the art I found was depicting scarcely clothed drow females. :lol: If anyone could tell me what specific style we are looking for in Drow architecture, that would be great.

Further links to more images would be appreciated. I need some referance material. ;)
breteas
Posts: 1444
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:15 am

Re: Any need for weapons or Items

Unread post by breteas »

Image

I made loose sections to work with. For the toolset I was thinking of making quarter sections so builders can put their own house together, Since that would be easy on light calculations, and you can't see around a house anyway. Basically offering dozens of variaties. Thoughts?

Also, is that style the style we are looking for, for drow houses?

Return to “NWN2 Toolset Development”