I think somewhere it said that models can't go over a certain polygon count, or something of that nature. I think it has something to do with the engine.breteas wrote:Btw, complaints of the game being slow cause of models, are void.
Any need for weapons or Items
Moderators: Moderator, Developer, DM
-
c2k
- Posts: 1230
- Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 7:29 pm
Re: Any need for weapons or Items
-
breteas
- Posts: 1444
- Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:15 am
Re: Any need for weapons or Items
Yeah, I know. But none of my models will hit that marker though.I think somewhere it said that models can't go over a certain polygon count, or something of that nature. I think it has something to do with the engine.
I was more reffering to the fact that my dinosaur of a computer can run the stuff I make.
-
Atlas
- Posts: 1289
- Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 2:00 pm
-
-
Last edited by Atlas on Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Character Profile and The Battles of Sir Amalric of Germont aka Sir Arkaine Halforken Link:
viewtopic.php?f=153&t=18827&p=836119#p836119
viewtopic.php?f=153&t=18827&p=836119#p836119
-
breteas
- Posts: 1444
- Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:15 am
Re: Any need for weapons or Items

I think this better represents drow architecture?
-
Atlas
- Posts: 1289
- Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 2:00 pm
-
-
Last edited by Atlas on Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
Character Profile and The Battles of Sir Amalric of Germont aka Sir Arkaine Halforken Link:
viewtopic.php?f=153&t=18827&p=836119#p836119
viewtopic.php?f=153&t=18827&p=836119#p836119
-
Karond
- Posts: 2221
- Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:47 am
- Location: Sweden
Re: Any need for weapons or Items
I've a request I know my guild has wanted for a long time, see how hard it is:
Helmets, that are invisible. We already have cloaks that can be invisible, would be nice to have helmets as well.
Helmets, that are invisible. We already have cloaks that can be invisible, would be nice to have helmets as well.
-
breteas
- Posts: 1444
- Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:15 am
Re: Any need for weapons or Items
Err..
Just to be clear, there's only one guy drawing custom models at this time.
Why I would love to be able to make new models in jiffy, I'm afraid I already have enough stuff I am working on. At this point custom armours/weapons are not being worked on, since I am already busy with this:
- Stalagmites/Stalactites:
Pretty much done, need only to be tested by our builders. (Let me know where and how you want some models uploaded guys.)
- Ballista / Battering ram (Placeable, rigid.):
0% Work done on this right now.
- Winding stairs:
10% Done. I know how to make them walkable. The new stairs will be build along with the new drow structure models.
- Drow structures:
Since this will benefit the entire UD, this has my main focus at this point. Once we can agree on a style for their buildings, I can start making more variations. Here's what it looks like now:

I'd really love some -feedback- on this. My lore on drow equals zero. The top right inset shows how it will probably look under current Sshamath lighting.
- Drow interior tileset:
0% Done. I know tilesets can be made, but have spent no time figuring out how yet.
Furthermore, I mentioned before that any moving object is at this point not possible to make for me. I suspect that it can be done by overwriting existing models, but as for now I am not putting more time in it, since I already have the above list to work on. Moving objects would be: armours, swords, well.. anything that has any kind of motion attached to it, with the exception of doors.
Not to sound bitchy here, but I still need to model more on the Drow structure, optimize it for IG use, make variations on it, map it, texture it, test it.. I expect this to take a while, and unless I get some feedback on what I am making, things will only take longer.
So, no more suggestions of what I should make, suggestions on what I -am- making please.
More previews coming soon.
Edit: Patience server. patience. lol 3D work takes a lot of time guys.
Just to be clear, there's only one guy drawing custom models at this time.
Why I would love to be able to make new models in jiffy, I'm afraid I already have enough stuff I am working on. At this point custom armours/weapons are not being worked on, since I am already busy with this:
- Stalagmites/Stalactites:
Pretty much done, need only to be tested by our builders. (Let me know where and how you want some models uploaded guys.)
- Ballista / Battering ram (Placeable, rigid.):
0% Work done on this right now.
- Winding stairs:
10% Done. I know how to make them walkable. The new stairs will be build along with the new drow structure models.
- Drow structures:
Since this will benefit the entire UD, this has my main focus at this point. Once we can agree on a style for their buildings, I can start making more variations. Here's what it looks like now:

I'd really love some -feedback- on this. My lore on drow equals zero. The top right inset shows how it will probably look under current Sshamath lighting.
- Drow interior tileset:
0% Done. I know tilesets can be made, but have spent no time figuring out how yet.
Furthermore, I mentioned before that any moving object is at this point not possible to make for me. I suspect that it can be done by overwriting existing models, but as for now I am not putting more time in it, since I already have the above list to work on. Moving objects would be: armours, swords, well.. anything that has any kind of motion attached to it, with the exception of doors.
Not to sound bitchy here, but I still need to model more on the Drow structure, optimize it for IG use, make variations on it, map it, texture it, test it.. I expect this to take a while, and unless I get some feedback on what I am making, things will only take longer.
So, no more suggestions of what I should make, suggestions on what I -am- making please.
More previews coming soon.
Edit: Patience server. patience. lol 3D work takes a lot of time guys.
-
tfunke
- Retired Staff
- Posts: 2305
- Joined: Sat May 07, 2011 9:09 pm
- Location: Australia- GMT+10
Re: Any need for weapons or Items
Hey Bre, those above pics of drowstyle buildings looks sweet.
Sadly, my knowledge is pretty limited when it comes to Drow myself, but that certainly looks pretty special. I also don't know anything about modeling, so I am hesitant to say do one thing over another, since I don't really know what's required to do either.
I'd suggest you go with your gut instinct on all this though, if you feel you aren't getting the feedback you desire. (that's what I tend to do when building areas that I sometimes struggle to get help/feedback on.)
Hope that helps you a bit mate.
Sadly, my knowledge is pretty limited when it comes to Drow myself, but that certainly looks pretty special. I also don't know anything about modeling, so I am hesitant to say do one thing over another, since I don't really know what's required to do either.
I'd suggest you go with your gut instinct on all this though, if you feel you aren't getting the feedback you desire. (that's what I tend to do when building areas that I sometimes struggle to get help/feedback on.)
Hope that helps you a bit mate.
Per aspera ad astra
-
breteas
- Posts: 1444
- Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:15 am
Re: Any need for weapons or Items
Thanks Tfunke. Well, my main thing is I do not want to spend hours on modelling, only to find out the style is not what we are looking for. So I made a few impressions of varieties that are possible with this model:

I'll be testing/painting one of those soon, to see if using modular building blocks even works with the game. *Fingers crossed.*
I will take no feedback as a positive response then.
Ps: Keep in mind that this model is not textured yet, and the colours are only there to get some contrast in the image.

I'll be testing/painting one of those soon, to see if using modular building blocks even works with the game. *Fingers crossed.*
I will take no feedback as a positive response then.
Ps: Keep in mind that this model is not textured yet, and the colours are only there to get some contrast in the image.
-
mar3usmc
- Retired Staff
- Posts: 663
- Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:53 am
Re: Any need for weapons or Items
Those do look sweet. And I can imagine how long it takes. I would say that is housing or whatever for more well to do Drow as it looks pretty clean cut. Are there plans to soften up the models? I mean like add more curvature and rounding, maybe less symetry for a more run down look for the less well to do Drow? If not no worries, this is still pretty nice, and I can always toss in other things to make it look messy.
Now, I hate to ask, and I do worry about the players FPS, and I know this little request will hit FPS a bit, but I know you can make objects have a built in glow. I wish I had time to pop on the toolset and show examples. A look in Varrala's Passage has a nice example from the pillars. Any plans to make this babies glow like the buildings in that picture hmmmmm?
Multiple colors would be sweet as well.
Oh, and one more thing.... spikes. I... have a thing for spikes hehehe
I guess a good rule of thumb to go by when making more models is to imagine you are Drow, you are evil, vain, narcissistic, selfish, and are all about carpe diem, and the stone is now officially your play-doh. So imagine being able to shape stone columns, pillars, stalgmites/tites, and walls as you please with only a bit of effort. That is the power of stone shaping magic.
Anyhow, beautiful work thus far. Great job Breteas, be sure to take breaks when you need them. Please don't burn yourself out.
Now, I hate to ask, and I do worry about the players FPS, and I know this little request will hit FPS a bit, but I know you can make objects have a built in glow. I wish I had time to pop on the toolset and show examples. A look in Varrala's Passage has a nice example from the pillars. Any plans to make this babies glow like the buildings in that picture hmmmmm?
Multiple colors would be sweet as well.
Oh, and one more thing.... spikes. I... have a thing for spikes hehehe
I guess a good rule of thumb to go by when making more models is to imagine you are Drow, you are evil, vain, narcissistic, selfish, and are all about carpe diem, and the stone is now officially your play-doh. So imagine being able to shape stone columns, pillars, stalgmites/tites, and walls as you please with only a bit of effort. That is the power of stone shaping magic.
Anyhow, beautiful work thus far. Great job Breteas, be sure to take breaks when you need them. Please don't burn yourself out.
I'm the guy that kills you by using your own greed and stupidity against you while making you laugh about it.
Enjoy!
-
tfunke
- Retired Staff
- Posts: 2305
- Joined: Sat May 07, 2011 9:09 pm
- Location: Australia- GMT+10
Re: Any need for weapons or Items
and I'd also like to say, that whatever models you do come up with for a Drow city, we'll be able to make it work by the looks of your above examples. They look very unique and would be a lot of fun to build an area with I'd imagine.
Also, I love the look of your different stalagmite and stalagtites. (forgot to mention that)
Also, I love the look of your different stalagmite and stalagtites. (forgot to mention that)
Per aspera ad astra
-
breteas
- Posts: 1444
- Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:15 am
Re: Any need for weapons or Items
Texturing will do a lot to make it look more weathered. I plan to make multiple varieties on the model anyway. I can have multiple version of the same texture as well, to have a clean, medium, and worn out look.Are there plans to soften up the models? I mean like add more curvature and rounding, maybe less symetry for a more run down look for the less well to do Drow? If not no worries, this is still pretty nice, and I can always toss in other things to make it look messy.
Not telling!Any plans to make this babies glow like the buildings in that picture hmmmmm?
All the seperately coloured sections will be individually tintable.Multiple colors would be sweet as well.
I'll make some versions that are "coming out" of the stone.So imagine being able to shape stone columns, pillars, stalgmites/tites, and walls as you please with only a bit of effort.
Not burning out here, I love this stuff.Be sure to take breaks when you need them. Please don't burn yourself out.
After seeing the lack of stuff you guys have to work with for UD, I figured to do it right the 1st time. So once I am done (Which I think will take a few weeks), you should have a full "Drow building" placeable set. I'll keep the max file handy for making easy additions.
Will take time, but once it's done...
Last edited by breteas on Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
-
mar3usmc
- Retired Staff
- Posts: 663
- Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:53 am
Re: Any need for weapons or Items
Here is a few things you can read from literature,
Architecture and Layout
The City of Dark Weavings has been strangely compared
to the interior of a massive pumpkin. A vast central
cavern, bedecked with thousands of slender stalactites,
stalagmites, and columns that stretch from floor to ceiling,
creates a three-dimensional web of rock navigable
only by those capable of flight or levitation or by those
undeterred by passage across delicate stone bridges barely
the width of a drows foot. Magically altered speleothems
are packed so closely that few sight lines exist across the
city. As a result, it is difficult to find a vantage point from
which even a fraction of the citys artistry can be admired.
Sshamath retains many traditional drow architectural elements,
but with a greater emphasis on personal towers as
opposed to noble families compounds. Individual
dwellings are carved into the heart of massive stalactites
and stalagmites alike, every aspect of which has been
transformed by stone shape spells into twisted spires of
magical artistry. Of particular note is the fact that
Sshamath is alive with the faint, flickering light of continual
faerie fire spells and their sorcerous equivalents. In an
unending effort to outdo one another in magical artistry,
Sshamaths sorcerers have created an oasis of vibrant
color to rival the most brilliant sunset. While Sshamaths
inhabitants are adapted to the relatively bright ambient
light, representatives of other Underdark settlements are
rarely so acclimated and thus are at somewhat of a disadvantage
during trade negotiations.
Important Sites
The great cavern that contains Sshamath has been compared to
the inside of a pumpkin. Thousands of columns around the city
hang like strings, lit faintly with faerie fire. Bridges connect the
columns at different heights, creating a tangle of vertical and
horizontal stonework across the cavern.
Z’ORR’BAUTH
This stone pillar, nearly 2,000 feet in diameter, dominates the
center of the city. A long, spiral ramp winds down around it,
leading from the city’s entrance cavern in the ceiling all the way
down to the floor. Hundreds of stone bridges stream away from
the ramp to connect with nearby columns.
DARK WEAVINGS BAZAAR
This market on the cavern floor is similar to a surface bazaar,
with hundreds of different tents selling a theoretically infinite
variety of items. A few of the more prosperous traders house
their shops in hollow stalagmites.
Nearly anything a wizard could want is here. If it isn’t, one
or two high-end shops specialize in locating any given object. For
an enormous fee, the locators can also send someone out to get
it. They sometimes like to hire nondrow adventuring parties for
such missions.
THE DARKFIRE PILLARS
Along the southern edge of Sshamath sprawls a region of stalagmites
and caves named for the pillars of ever-burning
darkfire that billow from its stalagmite chimneys. This area
serves as home to the city’s greatest smiths. In the same way
that the schools of magic segregate the city’s wizards, the
craft guilds organize its nonwizards. These guilds are not under
the direct oversight of the colleges, and each deals with several
colleges that are directly concerned with their crafts. For
example, the swordsmiths and armorers who comprise the
Darkfire Guild work closely with the Colleges of Abjuration
and Transmutation.
I'm the guy that kills you by using your own greed and stupidity against you while making you laugh about it.
Enjoy!
-
mdchrist
- Posts: 90
- Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:48 pm
- Location: Tampa, FL
Re: Any need for weapons or Items
I like the inital designs so far =), the one thing thats always stood out to be in drow architecture is their unique designs in appearance, for the models you have so far they look great, and once you get the dark messy detal on it I can picture it pretty good =), and it'll be agreat addon to future stuff 
Terayz *writing another tale*
Melverians *heads always in a book*
Buppi = ???
Drem Carrent *7th rep for the svirf*
Floggy Drunkbin *his name says it all*
Azin'bel Fre'tona *looks dumbfoundly about*
Melverians *heads always in a book*
Buppi = ???
Drem Carrent *7th rep for the svirf*
Floggy Drunkbin *his name says it all*
Azin'bel Fre'tona *looks dumbfoundly about*
-
IAmDeathComeForThee
- Retired Staff
- Posts: 1408
- Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 2:06 pm
- Location: Canada
Re: Any need for weapons or Items
Been awfully quiet breteas, how are things coming along?
If you're looking for more suggestions on how to make these buildings, what I would figure is that an underground culture might make things akin to what is familiar to them and their surroundings. So, what you have there reminds me of an egg sort of shap, in particular spider egg, which makes sense. Other things might be stalagmite type shapes, or other underground natural type formations such as smoothened rocks from running or dripping water, spikes from some of the more deadly species of spiders, spider webs, mushrroms (although I figure that might be more of a deep gnome type thing) etc.
Like I said I like a lot what you've got there, any pics with the models textured and perhaps with some fancy lighting?
I'd also be cool to have some deadly looking spike/blade -like projections shoot up and out the sides as well on some of the more prominent buildings to give a bit of variety.
Anyway, you were wanting more suggestions so there's a few.
Can't wait to see more!
If you're looking for more suggestions on how to make these buildings, what I would figure is that an underground culture might make things akin to what is familiar to them and their surroundings. So, what you have there reminds me of an egg sort of shap, in particular spider egg, which makes sense. Other things might be stalagmite type shapes, or other underground natural type formations such as smoothened rocks from running or dripping water, spikes from some of the more deadly species of spiders, spider webs, mushrroms (although I figure that might be more of a deep gnome type thing) etc.
Like I said I like a lot what you've got there, any pics with the models textured and perhaps with some fancy lighting?
I'd also be cool to have some deadly looking spike/blade -like projections shoot up and out the sides as well on some of the more prominent buildings to give a bit of variety.
Anyway, you were wanting more suggestions so there's a few.
Can't wait to see more!
"good is never as good as it's supposed to be. Although evil is often every bit as bad." -Richard Lee Byers.