Practised Spellcaster Exploit...

Have a question to the staff? Post it here.

Moderators: DM Arkanis, Moderator, DM

Simian
Posts: 1439
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:42 am
Location: On a Journey to the West

Practised Spellcaster Exploit...

Unread post by Simian »

Zlaayer wrote:Staff is not going to delevel a 10 Wiz/10 ASoCK/10 FM for taking Practiced Spellcaster to get CL 34.
Is Zlaayer correct?
"Qítiān Dàshèng (齊天大聖)"

"I warrant your attention?! Oh frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
User avatar
Charraj
Posts: 2741
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:38 pm
Location: EST

Re: Practised Spellcaster Exploit...

Unread post by Charraj »

The following post is from before I became Head DM.

http://bgtscc.net/viewtopic.php?p=234455#p234455

Hope that answers your question.
Molly Longshot - Wheeee!
Sempo - Former butler, wandering priest
Mara - Paladin of Jergal
Tabby - Hedge witch, former bandit
Charraj Cain - Mystran. Dead.
DM Mister Rogers - It's such a good feeling to know that we're lifelong friends.
Simian
Posts: 1439
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:42 am
Location: On a Journey to the West

Re: Practised Spellcaster Exploit...

Unread post by Simian »

DM MR wrote:As long as you have 1 non-caster level, you can take Practiced Spellcaster. I got that straight from Maecius.
So yes, a Wizard 27/EK 3 could take Practiced Spellcaster and get away with it.
Ideally, you would have more than 1 non-caster level, but hey, whatever. Gotta draw the line somewhere. So as long as you're making up for at least 1 non-caster level, you're fine.
You can consider this the official staff ruling! :D
"Qítiān Dàshèng (齊天大聖)"

"I warrant your attention?! Oh frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
BeefEater
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:21 pm
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

Re: Practised Spellcaster Exploit...

Unread post by BeefEater »

Not to open this up to debate again because it's been heavily debated already, but is it not possible to just fix the feat so you cannot get more CL and your hit dice? I mean can it not be fixed to look at your total hd, and if you have a cl that is not 4 or more below your hd, you don't get the full +4?

I don't know how hard it would be to fix so I just want to ask. I have not seen it mentioned anywhere and I think it would resolve the problem without too much policing by DMs or rebuilds required.

I think as it stands its lame that a 26 wizard/4 EK can get 33 CL but a pure 30 wiz or cleric can only get 30. I have this feat, but took 4 levels of a non-spell casting class so in the end my CL will be 30. I think it should be like this for everyone.
Luna
Retired Admin
Posts: 7945
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Practised Spellcaster Exploit...

Unread post by Luna »

BeefEater wrote:Not to open this up to debate again because it's been heavily debated already, but is it not possible to just fix the feat so you cannot get more CL and your hit dice?
I think Rasael can adjust the feat in the spell hook, but we don't want to go re-build everyone who has it and doesn't think the change helps them. ;)

Return to “Questions for DMs”