Hey, just here to point out that it is becoming common knowledge that the game is 'loading' the dice against the player characters. PCs roll a disproprtionate number low rolls and ones, while monsters roll a disproportionate number of 20s and high rolls.
This kind of thing is not 'difficulty' in a generally accepted meaning, and falls under the category of 'false difficulty' where the player is punished not for mistakes or inability, but randomly or arbitrarily by things completely outside their control and the accepted context of the game.
False difficulty in this case does not make the game more challenging, it just makes it frustrating, and I think most people agree that the disfavorable dice is just plain irritating with no redeeming value.
What is causeing Loaded Dice effect?
Moderators: DM Arkanis, Moderator, DM
-
SandTrout
- Posts: 64
- Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:52 am
- Location: College Station, TX
What is causeing Loaded Dice effect?
Vaile Redhardt - Talontar Apothecary
Baris Waynolt - Crusader of Hoar
Baris Waynolt - Crusader of Hoar
-
Luna
- Retired Admin
- Posts: 7945
- Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 3:00 pm
Re: What is causeing Loaded Dice effect?
It's all done in the game engine. So no idea.
How do you even prove something like what your saying?
How do you even prove something like what your saying?
-
Iso
- Posts: 64
- Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:07 am
Re: What is causeing Loaded Dice effect?
Well, it's probably just that we only notice when the dice are not in our favor, but I recall in 2010 that I rolled about %99 of the time between 1-4 on everything. Not just in NWN2. At one point, in tabletop, I rolled 19 times at 4 or below in a row so the DM called the game for the night, because very, very bad things were starting to happen as a result of it.
I truly felt cursed, not being able to roll anything but fumbles both in NWN2 and IRL, so I fixated on and obsessed over how horrible the dice were being to me til I stopped caring and accepted it as the norm.
Then I started rolling nothing but 20s.
I truly felt cursed, not being able to roll anything but fumbles both in NWN2 and IRL, so I fixated on and obsessed over how horrible the dice were being to me til I stopped caring and accepted it as the norm.
Then I started rolling nothing but 20s.
[color=#40BF80][b]Luna[/b][/color] wrote:Crud.
-
DM Setanta
- Posts: 778
- Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:53 pm
Re: What is causeing Loaded Dice effect?
Was added in SOZ to make the game harder....super hard coded, no way to touch it.
“Knowledge is knowing the tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting in your fruit salad.”
-
decado
- Posts: 69
- Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:58 pm
Re: What is causeing Loaded Dice effect?
The player can't prove it Luna, however it happens far too often to be chance.
In the mines in Cloakwood the enemies in there needed a 20 to hit my character, something which they would usually roll on average three to four times every fight in every encounter. In response me using a Keen weapon would fail to roll a critical hit in return.
This would happen pretty much without fail.
I think Void also mentioned it is a hardcoded 'feature'. I would love it though if this could be removed (I know it can't though).
In the mines in Cloakwood the enemies in there needed a 20 to hit my character, something which they would usually roll on average three to four times every fight in every encounter. In response me using a Keen weapon would fail to roll a critical hit in return.
This would happen pretty much without fail.
I think Void also mentioned it is a hardcoded 'feature'. I would love it though if this could be removed (I know it can't though).
-
TickledToDeath
- Posts: 41
- Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:34 am
Re: What is causeing Loaded Dice effect?
"That's too unfair"!
The one and only: Duneth Despana - UD
http://www.bgtscc.net/viewtopic.php?p=206946#p206946
http://bgtscc.net/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=78 -Knowledge is free
http://www.bgtscc.net/viewtopic.php?p=206946#p206946
http://bgtscc.net/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=78 -Knowledge is free
-
Knightmare
- Retired Staff
- Posts: 1696
- Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 1:21 am
- Location: One step ahead!
Re: What is causeing Loaded Dice effect?
Yeah, it's true - Obsidian even made a statement about it.
Someone once posted a link where they announced it.
Someone once posted a link where they announced it.
When you light a candle, you cast a shadow too ~ Artemis
It's better to rule in hell than to serve in heaven ~ Xanthor
Your enemy's enemy is your friend ~ Tiberius
It's better to rule in hell than to serve in heaven ~ Xanthor
Your enemy's enemy is your friend ~ Tiberius
-
Luna
- Retired Admin
- Posts: 7945
- Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 3:00 pm
Re: What is causeing Loaded Dice effect?
DM Setanta wrote:Was added in SOZ to make the game harder....super hard coded, no way to touch it.
Knightmare wrote:Yeah, it's true - Obsidian even made a statement about it.
Someone once posted a link where they announced it.