The Talking Villager

Information and Discussion Relating to NWN2 Area Design

Moderators: Moderator, Developer, DM

tfunke
Retired Staff
Posts: 2305
Joined: Sat May 07, 2011 9:09 pm
Location: Australia- GMT+10

The Talking Villager

Unread post by tfunke »

I thought I'd throw this out to the community and hopefully get some help with good examples of random one-liners for the NPC's within Soubar and Triel. (2 new towns for the North).
There was some division amongst the random one-liners that were created in Baldur's Gate city, so I figure I'd get some help from you all this time.

Just something simple would be great and nothing too specific, so this way if something changes in the future, the line of dialogue wont seem out of place. Pretend you are a villager/farmer/merchant/traveller.. whatever you want and give me a line or two to add to an NPC.

Examples:
"*A farmer nearby tends to some fields*"
or
"Good day to you."

Something simple like this.. feel free to provide as many as you can and I'll add them to an NPC for the upcoming northern towns (which are almost complete)
Thanks for helping me by doing this.
Per aspera ad astra
User avatar
Hoihe
Posts: 4719
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:25 pm

Re: The Talking Villager

Unread post by Hoihe »

"Watch for the Forest of the Wyrms"
For life to be worth living, afterlife must retain individuality, personal identity and  memories without fail  - https://www.sageadvice.eu/do-elves-reta ... afterlife/
A character belongs only to their player, and only them. And only the player may decide what happens.
User avatar
Theodore01
Recognized Donor
Posts: 2927
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:32 pm

Re: The Talking Villager

Unread post by Theodore01 »

Are you staring at me?
Looking for trouble?
Walk off before...

Don't bugger me
Yer a queer fellow
Come, buy some food from me

Winter is coming
Something butchered my cow
Watch out when you see the sky darkening

There's something big out there
There's something bad out there
Orcs be dammed

The seeds of tragedy are sown in our lives
Life... Dreams... Hope... such meaningless things
We are all doomed

Beware - the horde is coming
Don't drink that ale here. it tastes like piss
Have you seen that singing half-orc merchant recently?
Kegor
Posts: 90
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:46 am

Re: The Talking Villager

Unread post by Kegor »

How did you fit that suit of armor in your pocket?
She giggles as she looks at the size of your blade.
Hello there..you look like your coin purse is about to burst, let's see what we can do about that, shall we?
There is a 5 gold charge for whining.
There is a 5 platinum charge for whining about the 5 gold charge.

Thergal Stonesmith
Cael'rinar
tfunke
Retired Staff
Posts: 2305
Joined: Sat May 07, 2011 9:09 pm
Location: Australia- GMT+10

Re: The Talking Villager

Unread post by tfunke »

Good stuff, keep 'em coming if you can. 8-)
Per aspera ad astra
decado
Posts: 69
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:58 pm

Re: The Talking Villager

Unread post by decado »

The descriptive emotes are better for me than people addressing conversation or comments towards you.
Last edited by decado on Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Muttley
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:38 am
Location: Cardiff

Re: The Talking Villager

Unread post by Muttley »

Don't bugger me
Not being funny but, are you sure you dont mean don't bug me?

Don't bugger me has an entirely different meaning, which
probably shouldn't be explained here.

Actually as the next one says
you're a queer fellow
maybe it was intentional after all.
Lockonnow wrote:Deers Friends of the sword coast you dont have to play all of the time the server will be there whan you sleep and work and think of how sexy it will be how to look at porn the server will be there
tfunke
Retired Staff
Posts: 2305
Joined: Sat May 07, 2011 9:09 pm
Location: Australia- GMT+10

Re: The Talking Villager

Unread post by tfunke »

Thanks for chiming in with a correction and nothing even remotely useful Muttley..
How poor is this.. 70+ views and only a couple of people bothered to help me with this.. :evil:
I'm asking for 2 minutes of your time.. if that.
Per aspera ad astra
User avatar
Valefort
Retired Admin
Posts: 9779
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:07 pm
Location: France, GMT +2

Re: The Talking Villager

Unread post by Valefort »

*hums a bawdy song*
"Careful, it's muddy !"
*looks at you and mutters* "And that's what my son wants to be ..."
"Where in the nine Hells is that copper coin ?"


// if a male villager sees an unmasked female toon with 16+ (?) CHA (hoping this wouldn't need a heavy script)

*whistles in awe*
*blushes*
*stares at 'character's name' for a few heartbeats*
Mealir Ostirel - Incorrigible swashbuckler
Broham2
Posts: 542
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 1:36 pm
Location: Iowa, USA

Re: The Talking Villager

Unread post by Broham2 »

"Git water she says, groom the horse she says.." *grumbles*
"If only I'd 'ave ran away when I 'ad a chance"
"Lady's Luck upon ye, lad"
"Where in the nines is he, anyway?"

or if they want to be like 99% of adventurers:

*nods*
Formerly DM Mayhem
RL tough guy wrote:"Watch my picture. I am a RL tough guy, and I rip people like you to shreds"
User avatar
Theodore01
Recognized Donor
Posts: 2927
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:32 pm

Re: The Talking Villager

Unread post by Theodore01 »

Muttley wrote:
Don't bugger me
Not being funny but, are you sure you dont mean don't bug me?

Don't bugger me has an entirely different meaning, which
probably shouldn't be explained here.
Sorry, no offense meant. Didn't know about that meaning. Perhaps we should not use that one.
i know the expression as a fairly harmless insult. 'Bugger me!' is something that my granddad might say (without feeling the need to apologise for it).

Muttley wrote:Actually as the next one says
you're a queer fellow
maybe it was intentional after all.
This one is actually a quote from Imoen from the original BG1



and here are some more quotes:

Miserable day, it is?
So the stoic adventurers have found their way to our town
Hey, don't click me! I don't want any trouble!

You need a new tailor, your clothes are absolutely dreadful!
Away with you beggar . . . .
There is no roof to this world

I'm busy, okay? I'm BUSY
Have you nothing else to do but bother me?!
Go bother someone else!

(Grumbling) One day... one day...
The end is near at hand, wail if you must!!
... uh, what?

no one would mourn your passing
A Thayvian only has one person in their world: themselves
Walk away, I am in no mood for you

Tell me, are you having trouble at home?
There's no resisting the muse of an artist, is there?
Cut your wit. The day has been long already, without you adding hours to it

I could care less what the people have to say to me
You look a little down. You're not upset, are you?
WHA! What... is it... NOW?!

HAHA! Oooh, look, an adventurer
Why are you always frowning?
Not that I could see this coming, of course

Seems the gods themselves conspire to... to..
This is not about me. This is about you
I won't make your choice for you

Go. Do what you must
Oh my... I... what can I say?
Nothing. Nothing, at all

How many must die?
Is...is that you?
The right thing is not always the easiest

You know, this reminds me of that time, wa-a-a-ay back...
There's a lesson in there somewhere
I've never trusted a wizard with more arms and legs than he was born with...

You're a gnome, aren't you?
there is a garden at the foot of a dryad tree in the Forest of Wyrms. I tell you
I don't know what you're thinking...

They made good stew at the inn
Ummm... no need to stare, now. Move on, move on
Ah, 'Tis truly a beautiful day, no?

You do love the sound of your own voice, don't you?
I refuse to listen to this
Interesting ideas... but flawed

I will not be mocked
I am to be continually plagued by fools?
Truth be told, I feel a bit sorry for you

It must be frustrating to see your entire life's goals amount to absolutely nothing
If I had a sense of humor left I might find that funny
You will suffer! You will ALL suffer!

You are attempting to pickpocket me, aren’t you!?
no need to glare!
...bloody forest... damn tree-huggers and daisy-eaters... burn 'em all...

...and they think to call this civilization!
What does ye want now?
Ah, finally someone who appreciates my tales!

my cousin Kimble, he fell in love with a dwarven lass. She was stout and stocky, with a gruff voice and a soft, supple beard...
Do I meet yer approval? I hope not; I find yer nuts and berries approach quite feeble
Butt kicking for goodness!

Mwoo-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!
You talking to me?
You are mentally incapable of answering a straight question, aren’t you?

Make way, villainy! Hero, coming through!
I won't cry for the dead! I won't! Well, maybe a little...
Flowers are beautiful, aren't they? I wish there were more to see

Did you lose (snicker)... lose (giggle)... lose something?
This bulge here? Why that's (ha-ha) that's nothing. I'm just happy to see you (giggle)
Quayle told me about men like you

Your beauty calls to me, stirs my passions within me!
Now stop all this nonsense and go away
Ahhh...I have not seen you here, before, lovely creature. How do you do?

This is... must unusual
I do not like the tone of your voice
Now, if I had a copper for every time ...

I shall have to write that down now, so I don't forget what a fantastic tale this will make!
I meant no offense. You should be flattered! I don't think you're ugly...
If you wish to end this conversation without bruises, you will silence yourself now!

Is it true that dragon meat tastes like chicken?
You stop your glaring! I saw you glare!
Cookies, I make cookies

My job? Taking care of crazies like you
How much is a life going for these days?
You worry for your comrades?

Use the tools that you are given
Become part of something greater
After all, what does an eternity of nothingness matter?

Anything? Anything at all?
A Quest! Wow! This is great!
A proper pirate has a peg, whether a leg, arm or… uh… some other expendable extremity

You never sleep? You must sleep
Someone's after the chickens!
I seldom have time for reading. Too much work to be done

No! Don't do this! I DON'T WANT TO DIE!!!
It's Uncle Lester! He's risen from his grave!
A better man would have learned humility and seek to make amends

Wow, what was your first clue, genius?
My utilization of complex locution is more a reflection of my own superincumbent mental acuity than an aspersion on your circumscribed lexicon.
breteas
Posts: 1444
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:15 am

Re: The Talking Villager

Unread post by breteas »

*Hurries past you.*
*Casually nods in passing.*
"No time, I have places to go."
I'm coming! *Shouts to someone up ahead.*
*Grumbles something about store prices.*
"A good trip, time for ale." *Mutters.*
"Bah, I need supplies.. again."
"Sunshine, rain, whatever. It's a good day."
"Wife this, kids that. To hell with it, I'm off to the inn."
"Gods, I'm not his slave. If he's in the inn there'll be hell to pay."
*Just grins at you.*
*Stares at the clouds in wonder.*
"Not in the mood now, or will ever be."
"Last gold coin.." *Sighs, holding the coin tight.*
"Coming through!"
"Not now. Hmmpf."
"Coming dear!" *Sounds cheerful, then grumbles.*
"I should do that sometime." *Mutters to self.*

Farmer:

*Throws seeds one by one on his field.*
*Carries a pitchfork on shoulder.*
*Drives shovel in to the ground.* "Hnng."
*Whistles, having a bundle of hay tied to back.*
"A good day to work the land."
"Another day of grovelling in the dirt.." *Grumbles.*
"I cook, you provide she said. I clean.. she said. Hmmpf."
"Well, it's growing nicely." *Runs hand along crops.*
*Wipes sweat off forehead.*
*Whistles to self.*

Merchant:
"Two for one!" *Looks at you.* "Wait! Three for one!" *Shouts.*
"You! Come closer, you need to see this." *Frantically motions at you.*
*Chews on some jerky.* "Sawe! Wondewfuw items fow sawe!"
"Best deal ever, right here!" *Motions to his wares.*
"You need something? "I've got whatever you need."
"Prices are negotiable." *He nods, while clearly lying.*
"This 'ere, is me shop. Not that anyone cares."
*Stares out in to the distance.* "No customers.."
"You need items you're not aware of. Come closer." *The merchant grins.*
"If you have gold, I like you already."
"How about a belt then? No? A helm? Robe?" *Shouts at you."
Mendoza
Posts: 408
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:09 pm

Re: The Talking Villager

Unread post by Mendoza »

decado wrote:The descriptive emotes are better for me than people addressing conversation or comments towards you.
Agreed...stuff like

*looks up at you and nods before returning to his work*
*studies you with untrustworthy eyes as you walk past*

I think works a little better than 3 NPCs saying something to you like when you enter BG. One thing i really enjoy is seeing the different things enemies will say commenting on a PCs race like "Kill Zee Orc!" or "Why does the Elf torture usss?" ...don't know if its too late to add this in but something that could help add some depth and generate more RP
Dorne - Lion Blade of Nobanion -- [Journal]|[Bio]
Tristan Ebonhawk - Deceased. Misunderstood Ex-War Wizard
Igneous Ironside - Retired. Bear Warrior of Krak Helzak
tfunke
Retired Staff
Posts: 2305
Joined: Sat May 07, 2011 9:09 pm
Location: Australia- GMT+10

Re: The Talking Villager

Unread post by tfunke »

Thanks very much everyone, especially Theodore. That's great and more than enough for me to get those NPC's speaking.
Also, I'm using the same method Duster47 used on the NPC's he made for Beregost - ie: NPC's will only speak when clicked on and spoken to.. they won't go around speaking randomly when they perceive a PC, like how I setup Baldur's Gate.
(I'll change over the Baldur's Gate NPC's to do the same down the track, as I think most people will agree that the "click and speak to" method, is probably a better one.)
;)
Per aspera ad astra
User avatar
Nomster
Posts: 1941
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:41 pm

Re: The Talking Villager

Unread post by Nomster »

Wow some really creative people here. I can't come up with one line even!

Yes, those Baldur's Gate NPCs are really too talkative. You try to RP on the street and have to ignore all the random stuff they say :?
"I don't want to pretend at magic anymore. I want to be magic."

Telia Santraeger - Emotional sorceress & priestess of Mystra. [Retired]

Return to “NWN2 Area Design”