Caster Level and Practised Spellcaster

Have a question to the staff? Post it here.

Moderators: DM Arkanis, Moderator, DM

nelty
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:53 pm
Location: CEST

Caster Level and Practised Spellcaster

Unread post by nelty »

As far as I know you can use "Practiced Spellcaster" to get you Caster level beyond level 30.

If you take this feat with a Cleric 20 / Hospitaler 10, your caster level would be 31, for example.

I can't find the topic at the moment, but I remember a dm saying, that this is against the rules. And sure, I understand why.

But with the given example of a standard Cleric/Hospitaler build I see no way to avoid this. You would either have to take one level in a non-spellcaster class (which would break the 3 by 20 rule) or you'd need to abandon the practised spellcaster feat altogether, which would mean to have a very low caster level and a completely nerfed build.

So what's the official position of the staff regarding this topic?

Arwyroe Melten, Paladin of Sune - "Beauty shall previal!"

Dunstan Darkwoods, Mercenary from the Moonsea - "..." *Just stares at you.*
User avatar
DM Strahd
Posts: 959
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:16 pm
Location: Ravenloft, Barovia

Re: Caster Level and Practised Spellcaster

Unread post by DM Strahd »

As per Server Rules, Practiced Spellcaster cannot be taken if you are a pure caster. The meaning of this, is that you have to take at least one class without full spellcasting progression. Thus, your CL can legally be above 30 (namely, between 31 and 33) using Practiced Spellcaster (unless you are a Red Wizard, or Archmage, in which case you might go higher), but not 34 (full spellcasting progression +4).

Your build is legal.
Somebody told me I should do what they told me...
But there's a hole in that plan, and I'm tearing it down...

Return to “Questions for DMs”