Surfacer to Underdark: problems with last location

Have a question to the staff? Post it here.

Moderators: DM Arkanis, Moderator, DM

drumtheweasel
Recognized Donor
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:48 am

Surfacer to Underdark: problems with last location

Unread post by drumtheweasel »

Afternoon,
Is it not possible for a surfacer to have the UD as a last location or home location?

Last night, Kalana, through following rp threads and character interaction, got teleported to the UD. While there, I made sure she rested in the Glouria's Wings so that it would be the location she returned to when I logged in next. When I went to leave the nexus today my last location was not an option as Kalana spoke with Mystra.

I spoke with a DM last night and told a brief rendetion of the rp that got me there (I foolishly didn't remember the dm I spoke with and apologize for that). My problem is, I left off in my story with no rp reason to spawn back anywhere other than where Kalana was, have several people setting up meetings for me with some UD characters and have rped a delivery of a few letters out that will have some surface characters counting on me being there. I'm trying to avoid a really tacky OOC with a player to put me back there and most likely will not complete my rp in the UD in the next few sessions.

I also spoke with DMogorgon today briefly who explained the DM team has ruled no taxiing to the UD. I completely understand, but was wondering if there was a way other than OOC player teleport that could put Kalana back there until her rp thread is done? DMogorgan said that, unless my quests were reset, I should have been able to use the last location, but everytime there is an update, last location is never an option for me, and for some reason it was not today. I really don't want to bug players or DM's to get me back either, so is there a fix? Thanks!

Drumtheweasel
"All my days I've got the grizzly words... Hijacked flavors that I'm flippin' like birds..."
8:00am - 10:30am Weekdays, Saturday evening until I sleep, All day Sunday (GMT -5)
User avatar
DM Strahd
Posts: 959
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:16 pm
Location: Ravenloft, Barovia

Re: Surfacer to Underdark: problems with last location

Unread post by DM Strahd »

drumtheweasel wrote:Afternoon,
Is it possible for a surfacer to have the UD as a last location or home location?
Absolutely not. And not even the contrary. Also, to be in the UD without being grilled, you should have a very solid RP reason. Same goes for UDers on the surface. Personally, if I see surfacers in the UD without a reasonable motive to be there, I confront them, and the chances for harsh penalties (even a permadeath strike, if the situation warrants for one) are well within the realm of possibility.

Be wary of going to the UD with a surface character, as the risks are great, and consequences can be dire. Likewise, an UDer on the surface is in the very same situation (and a Drow, specifically, is KoS, whether he/she has an RP reason or not. That only determines how harsh the consequences are going to be).

Going to the surface for an UDer is the RL equivalent of traveling into a warzone in an unknown place (say: you are American, and you decide to take a stroll in the Afghanistan's no fly zone), and for surfacers to the UD is possibly even worse. Expect consequences, be prepared for the worst, all in all: make sure it's a trip worth risking.
Somebody told me I should do what they told me...
But there's a hole in that plan, and I'm tearing it down...

User avatar
Gottmoerder
Posts: 373
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:44 am
Location: Finland

Re: Surfacer to Underdark: problems with last location

Unread post by Gottmoerder »

On the last location part:

Every time there's an update the "Return to Last Location" is lost. It can't be gotten around in any shape or form, it just happens every time the server updates.
In realms of Mordayn Vapor.. Rollin' DC 16's.. Groovy.
drumtheweasel
Recognized Donor
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:48 am

Re: Surfacer to Underdark: problems with last location

Unread post by drumtheweasel »

PM sent and am currently holding in the Nexus.
"All my days I've got the grizzly words... Hijacked flavors that I'm flippin' like birds..."
8:00am - 10:30am Weekdays, Saturday evening until I sleep, All day Sunday (GMT -5)
User avatar
Nomster
Posts: 1941
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:41 pm

Re: Surfacer to Underdark: problems with last location

Unread post by Nomster »

It doesn't make sense RP wise. If my character has travelled there, they should be there and not on the surface next time I log on.
"I don't want to pretend at magic anymore. I want to be magic."

Telia Santraeger - Emotional sorceress & priestess of Mystra. [Retired]
Luna
Retired Admin
Posts: 7945
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Surfacer to Underdark: problems with last location

Unread post by Luna »

Nomster wrote:It doesn't make sense RP wise. If my character has travelled there, they should be there and not on the surface next time I log on.
That's a valid point.
Unfortunately we don't know why the save locations stop working after we do an update, otherwise we would have fixed that.
It's not intentional.
Like we are not wiping the save location. It's somehow just becomes and invalid location or something like that after we do a server update.
User avatar
DM Strahd
Posts: 959
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:16 pm
Location: Ravenloft, Barovia

Re: Surfacer to Underdark: problems with last location

Unread post by DM Strahd »

TheSpaniard wrote:Except, we don't do trade with Afghanistan.

There's a lot of misinformation going on and you're incorrect, you can definitely save the UD as your last place if you're a surfacer, and visa-versa. There are plenty of people on the server who have viable reasons to travel to the other realm, and considering S'shamath's policy on trade, it's not comparable to going into Afghanistan as a US civilian.

Her RP reason is to meet her sister which is a good reason to put yourself at risk and for the sake of where she's supposed to be in story of her character, why not let her? Let her take the risk and give her a chance to complete her story. Player driven events are at the heart of this server, especially since DMs can't be everywhere, and I think it's obvious the OP has a viable reason to be in the UD.

To not let her because there are risks doesn't make sense. There are risks involved when exploring ruins, when traveling the caravan roads, and when joining a party with strangers. All of these things are risky and no where else does that make them not okay, the OP was teleported to the UD by Shur and the rest of his party. Shur even painstakingly explained much of the culture surrounding S'shamath, and how to avoid being killed or seen, because they agreed that if Shur helps her, she would be an another pair of eyes and ears on the surface for their group. So, it's not like she's taking a stroll through the Under Dark to get to S'shamath, she has a very real and viable reason, a contract to complete with Shur, and for that to happen he must uphold his end of the bargain and stage a reunion for them to meet.

There are rules in place, she knows the risks, but that makes the reunion between her and her sister that much more meaningful. Not only that, but it enriches all of our stories because there are many beautiful things and great RP coming from interactions between the Surface and UD. All by the book, since we've explained repeatedily to many DMs our current involvement with the surface. Interactions which no one is taking for granted and understanding all the risks involved.
If you believe I am incorrect in saying you cannot select the UD as home location, when surfacer, and vice versa, I do pray you to try and tell me how it goes. It is something that cannot be done. The maximum you can do, is to save location, when it works. Also, trusting a Drow that kills surfacers for kicks is not my idea of "solid reasons to go to the Underdark", but I welcome the trip: be prepared for the consequences. "Shur's guide of the Underdark for the discerning traveler" is OK to "take a stroll" in Sshamath, but planning to take away something or someone from the city needs a warning. Also, I PMed the risks to the player, accepted to drive the event and he is fine with all possible consequences...perhaps, before posting here, you could talk to me and most of all him.

As for the Afghanistan analogy, there are several countries not liking each other that trade. Otherwise, many would gladly stop trading with China, or the Middle East petrol companies, but they do not.
Interactions which no one is taking for granted and understanding all the risks involved
There you go. Objective achieved. Hold on to this thought, and have fun.
Somebody told me I should do what they told me...
But there's a hole in that plan, and I'm tearing it down...

Return to “Questions for DMs”