Flaming Fists do not help

Have a question to the staff? Post it here.

Moderators: DM Arkanis, Moderator, DM

galabiri
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:08 pm
Location: Israel

Flaming Fists do not help

Unread post by galabiri »

I was wondering:
Whenever I walk by a Flaming Fist guard, I am being warned to sheathe my weapon (even if it's just a walking stick) or else...
But whenever I am being attacked by bandits/monsters and there's a Fist guard nearby - The Fist guard doesn't help...
When I was a low-level wizard it happened to me twice.
Why is it like that?
Can't a programmer order the guards to disregard a quarterstaff and/or program the Fist guards to aid a PC when he is being chased by monsters?
I have seen it being done in other servers.
"If we are destined to live by the sword, better it be wielded in our hands rather than be placed upon our necks".
User avatar
Maecius
Retired Admin
Posts: 11639
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 4:24 pm

Re: Flaming Fists do not help

Unread post by Maecius »

It is probably possible to script the weapon recognition scripts to disregard quarterstaffs, but at this point in time there's no clear consensus on whether or not that would be a good thing. More than that, however, is the fact that we do not have a scripter free at the moment to look at the scripts. We don't have too many people capable of scripting at this point in time, and those who are have a huge array of projects to keep them busy.

As far as the Flaming Fist failing to defend your PC, I'm afraid that their AI is probably turned off. This is to prevent their exploitation (using them to help you fight monsters), and because we don't have a very great faction system in place just yet.

Thanks for your questions, though, and I hope these small inconveniences don't sour your opinion of the server too much! Happy gaming!
galabiri
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:08 pm
Location: Israel

Re: Flaming Fists do not help

Unread post by galabiri »

I understand.
Hopefully someone will be able to aid with the scripts so this could be fixed.
As for the guards' AI turned off to prevent exploitation - I think it would be more fantasy-realism to have them act as they should, for I haven't seen any PC's exploit anything as of yet, but I trust you have the better judgement.
Thanks for the sincere reply :-)
"If we are destined to live by the sword, better it be wielded in our hands rather than be placed upon our necks".

Return to “Questions for DMs”