Walls

Asset Information and Discussion for Scripting, Area Design, and More

Moderators: Moderator, Developer, DM

Blunkanthrust
Posts: 128
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:39 am
Location: UK

Walls

Unread post by Blunkanthrust »

Is there a way to set walls/fences in a circle? I've been trying to make a sort of fort with the rural walls but from my very limited knowledge and playing about the only way I've found so far is to manually place them down.
"…when you have stared long into the eyes of the Tarrasque and lived to tell the tale, I shall call you a warrior…"

- Randir, I, Worriers & Warriors. In: Codex Arcana.
mrieder79
Posts: 875
Joined: Fri May 11, 2012 8:32 am

Re: Walls

Unread post by mrieder79 »

You have to manually put them in a circle and make sure they line up just right by manipulating them. It is painfully slow. Just making a small town has taken a month for me before.
Blunkanthrust
Posts: 128
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:39 am
Location: UK

Re: Walls

Unread post by Blunkanthrust »

I sort of cheated a bit and made this by slowly rotating square walls to make it look circular
I've only just started toolset wise so this is exceptionally basic and the first thing I've ever seriously tried to make so be kind :P

Image
"…when you have stared long into the eyes of the Tarrasque and lived to tell the tale, I shall call you a warrior…"

- Randir, I, Worriers & Warriors. In: Codex Arcana.
mrieder79
Posts: 875
Joined: Fri May 11, 2012 8:32 am

Re: Walls

Unread post by mrieder79 »

Very good. That's how it's done. Raise the ground around the pallisade just a bit. You can even have some of the bits of the pallisade underground a bit to give the impression of earthwork around it. This also applies to buildings. Put very small terrain variations around them to give a more realistic and less "flat" look.
Blunkanthrust
Posts: 128
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:39 am
Location: UK

Re: Walls

Unread post by Blunkanthrust »

Cool thanks will do :) i'll post some updates once i've done some more :)
"…when you have stared long into the eyes of the Tarrasque and lived to tell the tale, I shall call you a warrior…"

- Randir, I, Worriers & Warriors. In: Codex Arcana.
DM Galadriel
Posts: 570
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:12 am

Re: Walls

Unread post by DM Galadriel »

Also setting the color to black with very low pressure and painting color along wall borders adds a very realistic shadow look.
In the place of a Dark Lord you would have a Queen! Not dark but beautiful and terrible as the Morn! Treacherous as the Seas! Stronger than the foundations of the Earth! All shall love me and despair!
User avatar
Hoihe
Posts: 4719
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:25 pm

Re: Walls

Unread post by Hoihe »

Hmm. Looking forward to it!
For life to be worth living, afterlife must retain individuality, personal identity and  memories without fail  - https://www.sageadvice.eu/do-elves-reta ... afterlife/
A character belongs only to their player, and only them. And only the player may decide what happens.
Blunkanthrust
Posts: 128
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:39 am
Location: UK

Re: Walls

Unread post by Blunkanthrust »

I've tried some basic texturing and the ground variation just on this particular side. I'll try that shadow idea Galadriel thanks for the tip!
Image
"…when you have stared long into the eyes of the Tarrasque and lived to tell the tale, I shall call you a warrior…"

- Randir, I, Worriers & Warriors. In: Codex Arcana.
Blunkanthrust
Posts: 128
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:39 am
Location: UK

Re: Walls

Unread post by Blunkanthrust »

DM Galadriel wrote:Also setting the color to black with very low pressure and painting color along wall borders adds a very realistic shadow look.
How do I set the colour to just black? I'm on the texture window and I only see other colours and also on the swapper, please could you point me to it :)

Oh unless you mean on the terrain menu?
"…when you have stared long into the eyes of the Tarrasque and lived to tell the tale, I shall call you a warrior…"

- Randir, I, Worriers & Warriors. In: Codex Arcana.
mrieder79
Posts: 875
Joined: Fri May 11, 2012 8:32 am

Re: Walls

Unread post by mrieder79 »

Good work. Looks like you are on your way. I usually throw in texture to match terrain variations. I put small variations in randomly and texture accordingly. I use placeables such as trees, buildings, boulders etc to punctuate areas and to give a "full" feeling to the area, then use terrain height, grass, and texturing to fill in the details.
mrieder79
Posts: 875
Joined: Fri May 11, 2012 8:32 am

Re: Walls

Unread post by mrieder79 »

Blunkanthrust wrote:
DM Galadriel wrote:Also setting the color to black with very low pressure and painting color along wall borders adds a very realistic shadow look.
How do I set the colour to just black? I'm on the texture window and I only see other colours and also on the swapper, please could you point me to it :)

Oh unless you mean on the terrain menu?
There is a separate button that is labeled "color". That is the one you want to use. It is separate from the textures. You can use it to lay down different colors at different pressures to give accents to areas and darken areas. It is very useful for darkening forest floors, mud puddles, and similar terrain fetures which are dark.
Blunkanthrust
Posts: 128
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:39 am
Location: UK

Re: Walls

Unread post by Blunkanthrust »

Oh awesome! thank you I'll search for this colour option :)

here is some more experimenting I've done terain variation around the entire structure now and tried to show exposed earth work. One thing I seem to keep getting hit with is I'll be playing with textures and then suddenly for no reason that I can see I'll try a new texture and it just doesn't work I'll click and nothing happens, does this happen often?

Here's the current progress:

Image
"…when you have stared long into the eyes of the Tarrasque and lived to tell the tale, I shall call you a warrior…"

- Randir, I, Worriers & Warriors. In: Codex Arcana.
Blunkanthrust
Posts: 128
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:39 am
Location: UK

Re: Walls

Unread post by Blunkanthrust »

Image

that shadow tip was brilliant ! it works really well here it really makes the light variation make things come to life :) !
"…when you have stared long into the eyes of the Tarrasque and lived to tell the tale, I shall call you a warrior…"

- Randir, I, Worriers & Warriors. In: Codex Arcana.
mrieder79
Posts: 875
Joined: Fri May 11, 2012 8:32 am

Re: Walls

Unread post by mrieder79 »

Yes. This is shaping up nicely.
Blunkanthrust
Posts: 128
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:39 am
Location: UK

Re: Walls

Unread post by Blunkanthrust »

is there a way to render things? or does it always look a little blocky until you bake it or load it up to walk around it? oh and thank you :)
"…when you have stared long into the eyes of the Tarrasque and lived to tell the tale, I shall call you a warrior…"

- Randir, I, Worriers & Warriors. In: Codex Arcana.

Return to “NWN2 Toolset Development”