Walls
Moderators: Moderator, Developer, DM
-
Hoihe
- Posts: 4719
- Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:25 pm
Re: Walls
Seeing as you're placing placeables or what they are. You could ask the people who made Undrek Valar about how to make towers that actually work and need to be transitioned to, basically making the attack harder!
(It was used in the UD siege to help vs the masses of undead)
(It was used in the UD siege to help vs the masses of undead)
For life to be worth living, afterlife must retain individuality, personal identity and memories without fail - https://www.sageadvice.eu/do-elves-reta ... afterlife/
A character belongs only to their player, and only them. And only the player may decide what happens.
A character belongs only to their player, and only them. And only the player may decide what happens.
-
DM Galadriel
- Posts: 570
- Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:12 am
Re: Walls
This is easy.Hoihe wrote:Seeing as you're placing placeables or what they are. You could ask the people who made Undrek Valar about how to make towers that actually work and need to be transitioned to, basically making the attack harder!
(It was used in the UD siege to help vs the masses of undead)
As a personal preference I would also recommend this hill that the fortification sit apon be textured to apear rocky or cliff face. Right now it looks like it was built on a grassy hill of dirt and thats way too soft for so much weight being held so high. Irrigation and erosion would cause collapse in under a year.
(Or I may be over thinking it. I do that sometimes.
In the place of a Dark Lord you would have a Queen! Not dark but beautiful and terrible as the Morn! Treacherous as the Seas! Stronger than the foundations of the Earth! All shall love me and despair!
-
IAmDeathComeForThee
- Retired Staff
- Posts: 1408
- Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 2:06 pm
- Location: Canada
Re: Walls
You can go into the toolset Options, and set your resolution manually to the highest value your screen alows. Unfortunately anti aliasing doesnt work at all in the toolset.Blunkanthrust wrote:is there a way to render things? or does it always look a little blocky until you bake it or load it up to walk around it? oh and thank you
To set the resolution, click View->Options->Graphics and you'll see the setting. You'll have to manually type it in.
Have fun!
"good is never as good as it's supposed to be. Although evil is often every bit as bad." -Richard Lee Byers.
-
IAmDeathComeForThee
- Retired Staff
- Posts: 1408
- Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 2:06 pm
- Location: Canada
Re: Walls
OMG, this just gave me the idea to try resolutions higher than my screen's native resolution. I can go 3840x2160 (16:9) no problems whatsoever and looks as good as if there was anti-aliasing applied!IAmDeathComeForThee wrote: You can go into the toolset Options, and set your resolution manually to the highest value your screen alows.
THANK YOU!
I'm really excited about this, time to try to go even higher.
"good is never as good as it's supposed to be. Although evil is often every bit as bad." -Richard Lee Byers.
-
IAmDeathComeForThee
- Retired Staff
- Posts: 1408
- Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 2:06 pm
- Location: Canada
Re: Walls
Well it looks like 3840, 2160 is the highest it goes, which is more than enough to lose the jaggy edges. I tried to get to 7680 × 4320
, but it reverted to 3840, 2160.
Anyway, depending on your system, you can go 3840, 2160 strictly for screenshot purposes if you want.
And yea, lookin good!
And yea, lookin good!
"good is never as good as it's supposed to be. Although evil is often every bit as bad." -Richard Lee Byers.
-
Blunkanthrust
- Posts: 128
- Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:39 am
- Location: UK
Re: Walls
[/quote]
My main issue at the moment is I can't seem to equip the dummy npcs I'm stationing in towers to act as archers, they have a bow in the inventory but it doesn't equip/I can't find the option to equip it.
but thanks for the tip though it's certainly helped and I'm just about to try what
you suggested here to see if I can crank out some extra goodness also
Thanks mrieder79 I'm really enjoying making it
! I stopped briefly to make a quick castle mock up as part of one of my posts in the suggestions section of the forum. Thanks for all the positive feedback and advice everyone !
Here are a few shots of how it currently is since I last edited it, I'd forgotten that I'd already modded the mountain/hill a bit perhaps it could look more like a rocky mountain, hmm, I'll need to play with the textures, anyways, enjoy:




Actually you'd be quite surprised we think in a similar way I tend to over think things and am a bit of a perfectionist ! I'll try to retexture the area and give it a more rocky feel so its more like it's perched on a mountainous area.DM Galadriel wrote:As a personal preference I would also recommend this hill that the fortification sit apon be textured to apear rocky or cliff face. Right now it looks like it was built on a grassy hill of dirt and thats way too soft for so much weight being held so high. Irrigation and erosion would cause collapse in under a year.
(Or I may be over thinking it. I do that sometimes.)
My main issue at the moment is I can't seem to equip the dummy npcs I'm stationing in towers to act as archers, they have a bow in the inventory but it doesn't equip/I can't find the option to equip it.
I noticed that in the graphics option and set it to my resolution thinking the exact same thingIAmDeathComeForThee wrote:You can go into the toolset Options, and set your resolution manually to the highest value your screen alows. Unfortunately anti aliasing doesnt work at all in the toolset.Blunkanthrust wrote:is there a way to render things? or does it always look a little blocky until you bake it or load it up to walk around it? oh and thank you![]()
To set the resolution, click View->Options->Graphics and you'll see the setting. You'll have to manually type it in.
Have fun!
you suggested here to see if I can crank out some extra goodness also
IAmDeathComeForThee wrote:OMG, this just gave me the idea to try resolutions higher than my screen's native resolution. I can go 3840x2160 (16:9) no problems whatsoever and looks as good as if there was anti-aliasing applied!IAmDeathComeForThee wrote: You can go into the toolset Options, and set your resolution manually to the highest value your screen alows.![]()
![]()
![]()
THANK YOU!![]()
I'm really excited about this, time to try to go even higher.*giggles like a school girl*
Thanks mrieder79 I'm really enjoying making it
Here are a few shots of how it currently is since I last edited it, I'd forgotten that I'd already modded the mountain/hill a bit perhaps it could look more like a rocky mountain, hmm, I'll need to play with the textures, anyways, enjoy:




"…when you have stared long into the eyes of the Tarrasque and lived to tell the tale, I shall call you a warrior…"
- Randir, I, Worriers & Warriors. In: Codex Arcana.
- Randir, I, Worriers & Warriors. In: Codex Arcana.
-
Blunkanthrust
- Posts: 128
- Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:39 am
- Location: UK
Re: Walls
Awesome I'll try that for the next batches lol at going for 7k though that would have been mad if it worked !IAmDeathComeForThee wrote:I tried to get to 7680 × 4320, but it reverted to 3840, 2160.
"…when you have stared long into the eyes of the Tarrasque and lived to tell the tale, I shall call you a warrior…"
- Randir, I, Worriers & Warriors. In: Codex Arcana.
- Randir, I, Worriers & Warriors. In: Codex Arcana.
-
DM Galadriel
- Posts: 570
- Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:12 am
Re: Walls
Make sure NPCs have correct feats to equip weapons/armor. Might fix yer issue. Other than that click dragging it to L/R hand in inventory should do it...
In the place of a Dark Lord you would have a Queen! Not dark but beautiful and terrible as the Morn! Treacherous as the Seas! Stronger than the foundations of the Earth! All shall love me and despair!
-
Blunkanthrust
- Posts: 128
- Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:39 am
- Location: UK
Re: Walls
Ah okay cool, it was frustrating earlier I'd selected a default human that started with a sword and shield and I couldn't work out how to take them off him even when i removed every feat that they required he stood their defiantly holding his sword and shield, I figured he was one of those demi-god npc who just hates you regardless of what you do hahaha 
"…when you have stared long into the eyes of the Tarrasque and lived to tell the tale, I shall call you a warrior…"
- Randir, I, Worriers & Warriors. In: Codex Arcana.
- Randir, I, Worriers & Warriors. In: Codex Arcana.
-
Blunkanthrust
- Posts: 128
- Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:39 am
- Location: UK
Re: Walls
I've hit upon a strange issue while texturing as you can see in image I've started to use the cliff 01 texture to start re-texturing the mountain to make it look a more realistic:
1.

The snag seems to be that every so often I hit this problem of it just not allowing me to texture a tile, normally I remedy this by right clicking and selecting the texture again and go on my merry way but I've noticed this mainly happens when I have a full set of textures like in image 2 here:
2.

and in this case I haven't used any of cliff 01 in this particular tile and I'm assuming having this full list of textures is what is currently stopping me from painting the tile I'm on. How do I clear the list?
Any advice would be great, thanks in advance !
EDIT: ah I've just realized that the list there is just representing what the cursor is over so it can't be that... hmm !
1.

The snag seems to be that every so often I hit this problem of it just not allowing me to texture a tile, normally I remedy this by right clicking and selecting the texture again and go on my merry way but I've noticed this mainly happens when I have a full set of textures like in image 2 here:
2.

and in this case I haven't used any of cliff 01 in this particular tile and I'm assuming having this full list of textures is what is currently stopping me from painting the tile I'm on. How do I clear the list?
Any advice would be great, thanks in advance !
EDIT: ah I've just realized that the list there is just representing what the cursor is over so it can't be that... hmm !
"…when you have stared long into the eyes of the Tarrasque and lived to tell the tale, I shall call you a warrior…"
- Randir, I, Worriers & Warriors. In: Codex Arcana.
- Randir, I, Worriers & Warriors. In: Codex Arcana.
-
Blunkanthrust
- Posts: 128
- Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:39 am
- Location: UK
Re: Walls
I've decided to push on with my prototype keeping the wooden fort as more of a playground for experimenting, the following is the basic layout/walkmesh and a few placeables.
One thing I know I'm going to have trouble with is creating a steadily increasing slope as it curves round the mountains, much like the fluctuations in height in the troll areas. Anyways enjoy




The orange area in the lower left is currently being kept for NPCs, current idea is to have escaped prisoners/conspirators ask adventurers to do something/get something/kill something.
Skill based checks to get information from them.
Idea: purchase disguises which replace the adventurers armor, when they where it they become "neutral" to guards, however once they get into the keep they are can be discovered by patrolling guards with dogs.
Consequence: put in prison.
One thing I know I'm going to have trouble with is creating a steadily increasing slope as it curves round the mountains, much like the fluctuations in height in the troll areas. Anyways enjoy




The orange area in the lower left is currently being kept for NPCs, current idea is to have escaped prisoners/conspirators ask adventurers to do something/get something/kill something.
Skill based checks to get information from them.
Idea: purchase disguises which replace the adventurers armor, when they where it they become "neutral" to guards, however once they get into the keep they are can be discovered by patrolling guards with dogs.
Consequence: put in prison.
"…when you have stared long into the eyes of the Tarrasque and lived to tell the tale, I shall call you a warrior…"
- Randir, I, Worriers & Warriors. In: Codex Arcana.
- Randir, I, Worriers & Warriors. In: Codex Arcana.
-
Blunkanthrust
- Posts: 128
- Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:39 am
- Location: UK
Re: Walls

The terrain is developing a bit more now, still having the texture issue above so some tiles I have to avoid as they just won't allow me to paint them. Also wondering if you can erase textures instead of just painting over them or using 100% pressure.
This is a sort of "pre-area" the foothills into the castle/keep
"…when you have stared long into the eyes of the Tarrasque and lived to tell the tale, I shall call you a warrior…"
- Randir, I, Worriers & Warriors. In: Codex Arcana.
- Randir, I, Worriers & Warriors. In: Codex Arcana.


