
Walls
Moderators: Moderator, Developer, DM
-
Blunkanthrust
- Posts: 128
- Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:39 am
- Location: UK
Re: Walls
My first attempt at trying to do something a little fancy


"…when you have stared long into the eyes of the Tarrasque and lived to tell the tale, I shall call you a warrior…"
- Randir, I, Worriers & Warriors. In: Codex Arcana.
- Randir, I, Worriers & Warriors. In: Codex Arcana.
-
Hoihe
- Posts: 4719
- Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:25 pm
Re: Walls
Looks nice. A bit thinking ahead but where do you plan to have this area located?
For life to be worth living, afterlife must retain individuality, personal identity and memories without fail - https://www.sageadvice.eu/do-elves-reta ... afterlife/
A character belongs only to their player, and only them. And only the player may decide what happens.
A character belongs only to their player, and only them. And only the player may decide what happens.
-
Blunkanthrust
- Posts: 128
- Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:39 am
- Location: UK
Re: Walls
Oh I was thinking it would be in a mountainous region, I haven't looked at any maps but perhaps pushing further into the north? I'd be open to ideas suggestions, I hadn't really thought as far as it even being accepted to be honest, there is a damn high standard on our server. I think I'd need one or two designers to go over my map/maps afterwards and help me tweak the textures also.
I'm also wanting to design some nice UD stuff or at least experiment with some UD-esque content and designs.
Are there areas of Faerun that people want to explore that havent been taken or considered yet? I'd be up for trying to design something that people want to see, this current project is really only to see if I can get a working prototype. People seem to be reacting positively so far so who knows I might get the green light at some point when I submit it for consideration
I'm also wanting to design some nice UD stuff or at least experiment with some UD-esque content and designs.
Are there areas of Faerun that people want to explore that havent been taken or considered yet? I'd be up for trying to design something that people want to see, this current project is really only to see if I can get a working prototype. People seem to be reacting positively so far so who knows I might get the green light at some point when I submit it for consideration
"…when you have stared long into the eyes of the Tarrasque and lived to tell the tale, I shall call you a warrior…"
- Randir, I, Worriers & Warriors. In: Codex Arcana.
- Randir, I, Worriers & Warriors. In: Codex Arcana.
-
Hoihe
- Posts: 4719
- Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:25 pm
Re: Walls
If you ever decide that rocky is bad, snowy is good... 
For life to be worth living, afterlife must retain individuality, personal identity and memories without fail - https://www.sageadvice.eu/do-elves-reta ... afterlife/
A character belongs only to their player, and only them. And only the player may decide what happens.
A character belongs only to their player, and only them. And only the player may decide what happens.
-
Hoihe
- Posts: 4719
- Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:25 pm
Re: Walls
Hooray!
You're my second hero!
You're my second hero!
For life to be worth living, afterlife must retain individuality, personal identity and memories without fail - https://www.sageadvice.eu/do-elves-reta ... afterlife/
A character belongs only to their player, and only them. And only the player may decide what happens.
A character belongs only to their player, and only them. And only the player may decide what happens.
-
Blunkanthrust
- Posts: 128
- Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:39 am
- Location: UK
Re: Walls
Are there lots of snowy areas lacking on the server?
"…when you have stared long into the eyes of the Tarrasque and lived to tell the tale, I shall call you a warrior…"
- Randir, I, Worriers & Warriors. In: Codex Arcana.
- Randir, I, Worriers & Warriors. In: Codex Arcana.
-
Hoihe
- Posts: 4719
- Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:25 pm
Re: Walls
The more the better. Snow that isn't cold is something I enjoy.
Snowy areas are the ones south of Nashkel.
Snowy areas are the ones south of Nashkel.
For life to be worth living, afterlife must retain individuality, personal identity and memories without fail - https://www.sageadvice.eu/do-elves-reta ... afterlife/
A character belongs only to their player, and only them. And only the player may decide what happens.
A character belongs only to their player, and only them. And only the player may decide what happens.
-
Blunkanthrust
- Posts: 128
- Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:39 am
- Location: UK
Re: Walls
Snow that isn't cold? as in an area that isnt sub zero but just a bit chilly?
"…when you have stared long into the eyes of the Tarrasque and lived to tell the tale, I shall call you a warrior…"
- Randir, I, Worriers & Warriors. In: Codex Arcana.
- Randir, I, Worriers & Warriors. In: Codex Arcana.
-
Hoihe
- Posts: 4719
- Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:25 pm
Re: Walls
As in virtual snow :p.
For life to be worth living, afterlife must retain individuality, personal identity and memories without fail - https://www.sageadvice.eu/do-elves-reta ... afterlife/
A character belongs only to their player, and only them. And only the player may decide what happens.
A character belongs only to their player, and only them. And only the player may decide what happens.
-
Blunkanthrust
- Posts: 128
- Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:39 am
- Location: UK
Re: Walls
Oh I see sorry bit slow on the uptake. I've decided to keep going with it as a snow area for the moment also
the one thing I have noticed is the dirty snow and icy dirty textures look much better than the default snow texture which looks like it was designed to burn a whole in the eyes of the builder with the gamma intensity of it ! 
"…when you have stared long into the eyes of the Tarrasque and lived to tell the tale, I shall call you a warrior…"
- Randir, I, Worriers & Warriors. In: Codex Arcana.
- Randir, I, Worriers & Warriors. In: Codex Arcana.
-
Blunkanthrust
- Posts: 128
- Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:39 am
- Location: UK
Re: Walls
Some more textures and details:
Trying to create ice crags using low pressure solid colour

A curious snow leopard investigates the remains of some travels who perished long ago on the mountain trails.



Trying to create ice crags using low pressure solid colour

A curious snow leopard investigates the remains of some travels who perished long ago on the mountain trails.



"…when you have stared long into the eyes of the Tarrasque and lived to tell the tale, I shall call you a warrior…"
- Randir, I, Worriers & Warriors. In: Codex Arcana.
- Randir, I, Worriers & Warriors. In: Codex Arcana.
-
Blunkanthrust
- Posts: 128
- Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:39 am
- Location: UK
Re: Walls
Designing a path through a precarious ravine and what the walkmesh allows you to do are two very different things haha
but I'll keep pressing on for something quite interesting. The grass is purely a marker point for me to know the route.


"…when you have stared long into the eyes of the Tarrasque and lived to tell the tale, I shall call you a warrior…"
- Randir, I, Worriers & Warriors. In: Codex Arcana.
- Randir, I, Worriers & Warriors. In: Codex Arcana.
-
mrieder79
- Posts: 875
- Joined: Fri May 11, 2012 8:32 am
Re: Walls
A very neat idea, but when you are doing a ravine, make sure you build up, not sink down. If you sink down, the camera angle will keep getting messed up and the player will become frustrated. Better to make your path, then raise peaks around it.
-
Blunkanthrust
- Posts: 128
- Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:39 am
- Location: UK
Re: Walls
Ah damn! I guess the quick fix here would be to raise up the traced out route:

then use the flatten tool to bring up the drops and rebuild peaks.
Thanks for the advice
!

then use the flatten tool to bring up the drops and rebuild peaks.
Thanks for the advice
"…when you have stared long into the eyes of the Tarrasque and lived to tell the tale, I shall call you a warrior…"
- Randir, I, Worriers & Warriors. In: Codex Arcana.
- Randir, I, Worriers & Warriors. In: Codex Arcana.
