Issues with a remade character.

Have a question to the staff? Post it here.

Moderators: DM Arkanis, Moderator, DM

Version03
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:37 pm

Issues with a remade character.

Unread post by Version03 »

Hello, I just wanted to share a minor issue I've experienced since I've resumed playing on your server.

Awhile back, well over a year now, I played a human fighter who went by the name of Ramas Ithrash. Eventually, as if the case in all things, I became occupied with other real life matters and haven't had the opportunity to do much but dabble on the occasion. When I had the chance to play I noticed my friend was no where to be found and I eventually decided to delete Rams from my character roster for a more friendly character to RP while soloing (a Thayan Knight without a Red Wizard to protect is a uninteresting character). Now I have introduced your outstanding server to another friend of mine and we decided to start the Red Wizard/Thayan Knight roleplay again. I thoroughly enjoyed Ramas' backstory and intended to just remake him again using the same RP as before and actually advancing it as I leveled with my new friend's character. However...

The issues that I've notice are thus, when I re-made the character I could tell that some residual information from the previous character was saved. Instead being asked to select languages (I have a +2 Int mod) an error message popped up informing me that I already knew Common and skimmed over the selection process. Also, my progress with some of the quests are further along in the chat and response sequences, than I should be (as I haven't completed any with the re-made character). Any thoughts or suggestions as to the cause or a possible fix? As I said before these are pretty trivial matters and they hardly affect actual gameplay at all. I just thought I'd bring the light.

Sincerely
Version03
DM Cradh
Posts: 1005
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:52 pm

Re: Issues with a remade character.

Unread post by DM Cradh »

Journal Information and your languages are stored on your DMFI and Player widget tools in your inventory. These items are tied to your Character Name. If you RCR a character, or even delete a character and start a new one with the exact same name, then this information is automatically transferred to the new widget and dmfi tool by the server because of the way it is saved.
Not knowing the rules is not an excuse!
Version03
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:37 pm

Re: Issues with a remade character.

Unread post by Version03 »

Thanks for the response. I figured the answer was something along those lines. If you would allow me to ask some follow-up questions just for the sake of curiosity.

Does the DMFI and Player Widget information on the server ever get cleansed of outdated information and/or would that even be possible without also removing relevant information for active characters as well?

Since all the data is saved server side does that mean changing the account you log in through would not have any affect on the information? This leads into my next question; in rare situations, that two characters on different accounts that share same name do the also share the same saved information? For example, if a player on Account A has a character named Khelben Arunsun and then a player on Account B made a character named Khelben Arunsun. Do they share all the information that player A has saved onto the character through the DMFI and and Player Widget?

Sincerely
Version03
User avatar
Rasael
Retired Staff
Posts: 8096
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Leiden, Netherlands

Re: Issues with a remade character.

Unread post by Rasael »

Wouldn't happen. Those are items in that character's specific inventory. There's no overlap unless its a database issue that stores based on char name only. In my experience it only causes issues if the characters are in the same player vault. In that case the newest one usually isn't saved by NWN2.

If multiple people with the same name login it might cause weird issues with sending tells to the them. One of them probably won't be able to receive any.

Return to “Questions for DMs”